What to pack besides clothing?

singwithjoy

After our last cruise, I realized the importance of a carryon bag that could do double duty as a pool/beach bag. This meant it needed to be of sturdy fabric, be able to zip closed, have a long enough handle for over-the-shoulder carrying and not have a 'luggage look'.

I ordered a customized tote from LL Bean. The 'large' meets criteria for airline carryon. A zippered top is an option and the colors are nice. We tried it out last week during a trip to the west coast - it fit two neck pillows, reading materials and snacks with plenty of room to spare. It was a perfect choice.

A couple of years ago, I was bored and went to the wild sale held in one of the dining rooms where they sell stacks of bags, stoles, etc. I bought two large, fake leather bags with a magnetic strap closure and over-the-shoulder strap for $10 each. I've used one or the other on long-distance flights and it held a coat with a fleece lining, neck pillow, knitting, books, and a bunch of other stuff. Very light weight and when not in use, scrunches up into a small space. They appear to be indestructible and even if they weren't, I can get more for $10. I definitely got more than I paid for.

Small LED flashlight....don't forget what happened on Carnival Sapphire! Might come in handy.

Because of the Carnival ship issue last year, when we cruised on the Golden last month, I packed a supply of plastic grocery bags.. having read in the newspaper about Splendor pax not being able to use their cabin toilets unless they scooped them out... ewwwwwwwww...

Because of the Carnival ship issue last year, when we cruised on the Golden last month, I packed a supply of plastic grocery bags.. having read in the newspaper about Splendor pax not being able to use their cabin toilets unless they scooped them out... ewwwwwwwww...

Pack one of these and you could be the envy of other passengers!!!:o

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-John-66990-TravelJohn-Restroom/dp/B000NVDCS8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1299683565&sr=8-7

Leaving on the Crown in 2 weeks. What do you pack besides clothes and personal items? Alarm clock? Any must have items for you?

;)we pack a small flash light so we don't need to put on the lights while the other sleeps during the night. Also we pack his/her clothes in each suitcase in case one turns up missing or comes later than the other case. That way we both have clothes same for bath items:rolleyes:

I can't believe no one has mentioned the mandatory Margarita Machine. Comes in handy with all the tequila you sneak on board.

Then there are the other essentials like the Espresso/Cappuchino Machine, toaster, electric hair curlers, Keurig machine, flat iron, snow blower, leaf blower, carpet shampooer, crock pot and portable microwave. Don't forget the power strip and a couple of extension cords too. :eek:

Leaving on the Crown in 2 weeks. What do you pack besides clothes and personal items? Alarm clock? Any must have items for you?

I take a night light for the bathroom and a large insulated cup to use while sitting in the sun

Whenever I travel, not just on cruises, I take a variety of zip lock bags. I've used them for packing odd souvenirs including glass items, keeping a variety of things dry when it looks like a sudden storm is going to hit...

Magnets to hang everything from the walls (all magnetic)

My favorite squishy pillow

Netbook, iphone, kindle, and a good surge protector

Travel French coffee press, good coffee mugs, and good coffee

Journal, travel scissors, glue sticks, and colored sketch pencils for multi media journals

Metal neck chain for camera (can't be cut off)

Sharpies, highlighters, and super sticky post its for notes

Medicines for "just in case", its a lot cheaper to be proactive then buy meds on the ship.

A positive attitude and lots of JOY!

I have a night light clock combo that I plug in by the desk so I can see the time and have a little light in the cabin. OTC meds which can be pricey in the gift shop if needed. Small lightweight fleece blanket to wrap around my shoulders or cover my legs when it's chilly on the balcony. Ziploc bags for cookies from the buffet and other uses. Lots of dollar bills for tips.

If you like to bring wine packed in your bags there is a product called "wineskins" which are bubble wrap encased in plastic in the shape of a wine bottle and have a sticky sealer. We have used them for travel and they are great. You can go to amazon and find them.

My must bring items has changed over the last 2 years it is now limited to:

bandaids (were prone to injuries)

medicine

decor for our cabin door (helps in identifying - prevents the shining effect)

2 small fleece blankets for the balcony fun

alarm clock/mp3 player thing (i have one that changes the time automatically BIG help when changing time zones)

extra cards for my cameras

extra camera incase mine goes caput!

booze

wine glasses- but you can get them from the stewards

beach bag/doubles as carryon for flights

sun hats

case of water (usually purchased at port)

snacks like chips, bars, candy

I will be bringing baggies for extra buffet cookes in the room from now on though

i have 2 cruises booked this year and the count down is on ..over 200 days till we sail away

have fun on your b2b ive never done it but will be doing one next fall

I like to take an IPod and docking station so we can have tunes we like while out on the balcony....I also bring an extra photo card just in case I fill one up....and don't have time to download....

Some ziplock bags (in a variety of sizes) for sunscreen, wet bathing suit to bring home, and other liquid substances....

Definitely agree with the IPod, although MP3 player in my case. Plus the thousand chargers you need nowadays!!! The person who makes a universal one which work on absolutely everything will make a million.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the mandatory Margarita Machine. Comes in handy with all the tequila you sneak on board.

Then there are the other essentials like the Espresso/Cappuchino Machine, toaster, electric hair curlers, Keurig machine, flat iron, snow blower, leaf blower, carpet shampooer, crock pot and portable microwave. Don't forget the power strip and a couple of extension cords too. :eek:

TOO funny!! Particularly like the snowblower...just where are you cruising to anyway??

Jan

Crazy Glue Gel is #1 on my list.

In 2009, 5 days out on a TA, I popped a filling and a lil drop of crazy glue gel held it untill the cruise was over and we were back home in the states.

Be sure to use surgical super glue if making temporary dental repairs. Standard super glue may be toxic if absorbed.

When I pack, I use lightweight garbage bags to line my suitcase, just in case it's standing in the rain somewhere. Once onboard the ship, I use one as a laundry bag and when it comes time to pack for home, I pack my dirty clothes in the bag so it doesn't mix with my clean clothes and I can just lift it out and throw my stuff in the laundry.

Another tip is to "cross" pack if you have two bags. That way, if one bag arrives well ahead of the other, you both have clothes to change into for dinner if you board in shorts.

I never bother with half the stuff mentioned because I either don't need or use it or because it takes up a lot of suitcase space and weight. I pull out everything I want to bring a couple of days before packing and then go through it the next day, sorting out things that don't go with others and leaving home what I don't need. It's the "I think I might wear this" items that stuff a bag and are packed to go home unworn.

I am also a big fan of these and always bring lots of them.

Also great for wrapping toiletteries bag (what`s it called??) as well as fragrances and other liquids. I once bought my niece a perfume as a gift, arrived home 15 hours later and the bottle had leaked. It´s not that cool having a suitcase that still smells "Tommy Hilfiger Girl" when you are a 32 year old man .... I learned the hard way.

I also bring antibacterial wet wipes, great for using while on excursions etc. but also for wiping door handles, remoteconrtol etc. in the cabin.

Maybe I am a bit of a clean freak, but I seriously believe that these things are not cleaned often enough.

Also a small packing tip: bring all chargers for cameras etc. in your carry-on.

We learned this the hard way flying over to the US for our Christmas cruise and ended up in several snow storms ( Dec. 2009) and lots of diversions.

We lost all our luggage and were going on a 2 week cruise. It waited for us in Miami after the cruise ( thank you AA! Other airlines shipped the luggage to the first port of call! )

We had a brand new type of Samsung camera and finding a charger was impossible and stressfull.

Other than that charger, I have learned that the strangest things can be purchased on board or in port. What a blessing :)

Crazy Glue Gel is #1 on my list.

In 2009, 5 days out on a TA, I popped a filling and a lil drop of crazy glue gel held it untill the cruise was over and we were back home in the states.

I am glad you made it home OK.

A distant relative of mine did this. She ended up paralyzed on the entire left side of her body. I swear that this is the truth!

snorkel gear

By all means, take your own snorkel, at the very least. My sister in law stopped breathing while snorkling on a RCL cruise. Admitted to Mass General for tests on her return, they determined it was likely she had an allergic reaction to whatever they soak them in. My brother saved her life with CPR. And, on another note, do you really want to put your mouth on a snorkel that has been used by countless others? It's like using a stranger's toothbrush. Yuk! I always bring my own gear.

Archived