Take a second to look from the outside in

I just wanted to dedicate a positive thread to reminding all of us how lucky we are to be able to vacation the way we do, as often as we do, take it as you may!

Personally, I know my wife and I started to take vacations for granted for a few years there, thinking nothing of paying thousands of dollars multiple times a year on wonderful, cruises and land vacations. My wife being in the real estate market, some family emergencies, and having two children at out of state universities, our lifestyle took a hit for a couple of years there, especially last year. We went from taking 3-4 weeks of vacation a year to only having the time and disposable income to spare for a 4 night cruise on the Majesty. I can honestly say we immensely enjoyed that cruise despite being on an old ship and the terrible weather, because we appreciated it so much more than we ever had before.

We are just now getting back to a point where we can afford the funds and time to start taking trips again, more consciously than before, but still a major step forward. It really made us appreciate everything much more than we did before.

My meaning behind this post is simply to remind all of us, me included, how fortunate we are to be able to take vacations like cruises. For many people, a cruise is literally the vacation of a lifetime, something many only get to do once or twice, if that. I know I can speak for myself and probably many of you in saying that I lose track of that when I get caught up in the C&A changes, negative reviews, fuel supplements, etc. And by all means, I'm not saying stop posting these things! Just showing I think it does all of us good to look at what is really important and how lucky we are!

End of realization :).

I just wanted to dedicate a positive thread to reminding all of us how lucky we are to be able to vacation the way we do, as often as we do, take it as you may!

Personally, I know my wife and I started to take vacations for granted for a few years there, thinking nothing of paying thousands of dollars multiple times a year on wonderful, cruises and land vacations. My wife being in the real estate market, some family emergencies, and having two children at out of state universities, our lifestyle took a hit for a couple of years there, especially last year. We went from taking 3-4 weeks of vacation a year to only having the time and disposable income to spare for a 4 night cruise on the Majesty. I can honestly say we immensely enjoyed that cruise despite being on an old ship and the terrible weather, because we appreciated it so much more than we ever had before.

We are just now getting back to a point where we can afford the funds and time to start taking trips again, more consciously than before, but still a major step forward. It really made us appreciate everything much more than we did before.

My meaning behind this post is simply to remind all of us, me included, how fortunate we are to be able to take vacations like cruises. For many people, a cruise is literally the vacation of a lifetime, something many only get to do once or twice, if that. I know I can speak for myself and probably many of you in saying that I lose track of that when I get caught up in the C&A changes, negative reviews, fuel supplements, etc. And by all means, I'm not saying stop posting these things! Just showing I think it does all of us good to look at what is really important and how lucky we are!

Great post! Soooo very true! My family is very lucky.

You make some great points. We had some family members that used to make comments behind our backs about our travel habits. We generally pay cash for our trips and have had it worked into our budget for years. We plan cruises months ahead so we can pay for them monthly. It generally came down to this, I have one brother who likes toys, he has 4-wheelers, motor home, trucks, horses etc.. and pays alot for hunting trips. That is what he likes so enjoy, have fun do what you like. We like to travel and if we can afford 3 cruises a year along with other vacations then we should be able to enjoy what we like to do. I can see it being a problem if we couldn't afford it, but we own our own businesses and can set our own schedules so thats what we like to do. We are only on this earth for a little while so enjoy the time you have and do what brings you joy.

I feel the same way. We are fortunate enough to be able to enjoy 2-3 vacations per year and were able to maintain that through the recession. My family would talk about it very openly that we must be "rich" that we could afford to do that. They always asked "Dont you know there's a recession?" For us, we work extremely hard and often long hours. Its important to us as a family to have that time together. Our vacations are built into our budget and we pay for them with cash. If the cash is short, we would forgo a vacation.

We are fortunate and appreciate that we can take our son and a friend of his with us on trips (he's an only child and too old to hang out with Mom and Dad). We are always talking about our trips and looking at old pictures. Now that he is in high school, those pictures from trips taken 10 years ago really mean something.

Very well said everyone. We realize how fortunate we are. We started cruising in '89 with my 3 brothers and one sister. I have since lost 2 brothers and my sis has Alzheimers and can't travel. Thankful that I have so many memories when we were together. Also thankful that we still have our health and can cruise and do other traveling. Sometimes we just have to step back,look around, and say Wow...we are very lucky !

Well said kruze.

The memories we made on cruises with our family and friends will last with us a lifetime. So not only do I feel fortunate enough to be able to cruise somewhat often, I also feel so blessed to have so many incredible memories to last me a lifetime.Through a failed marraige and a new love and life, I will always cherish the times we had and will forever be greatful that those times happened.

The reality that it can all be taken away in a minute. That is something I will try to remember on future trips and when I find myself becoming critical.

Thank you for the great post! I too am very thankful.

A few years ago at the age of 30, just out of the blue I became severely ill overnight. After being rushed to the hospital it was discovered I was bleeding internally. I was on my death bed and in a coma. I needed a very rare Multi-visceral (Intestional) transplant but was too sick to survive the surgery. The doctors didn't expect me to live. Somehow, some way, by some strange miracle, a perfect donor was found and the doctors took a chance with giving me the transplant. After 4 months in hospital I was released. It has been a very long hard road but I am so grateful to be alive.

We had a cruise booked before I got sick and because of this, we had to cancel :( and haven't been able to travel much since.

This transplant has really made us re-evaluate our life and also changed our lifestyle in a big way. I can no longer work which has taken a big toll on our finances. The transplant has changed my quality of life in what I am able to do now which is hard. My energy and stamina is not what it once was and I don't have the strength and abilities I once had. It is also very risky for me to leave the country making travelling hard.

BUT, I am now 3 years post transplant and doing well. I finally took the plunge and booked another cruise. My doctors don't know yet :eek: but I will be discussing it with them in April. I just hope I will be able to go :). I can't go through life living in a bubble. All I can do is hope for the best and wish for good health with lots of strength and energy to help make my trip enjoyable. Providing I can go of course :p

Thank you for the great post! I too am very thankful.

A few years ago at the age of 30, just out of the blue I became severely ill overnight. After being rushed to the hospital it was discovered I was bleeding internally. I was on my death bed and in a coma. I needed a very rare Multi-visceral (Intestional) transplant but was too sick to survive the surgery. The doctors didn't expect me to live. Somehow, some way, by some strange miracle, a perfect donor was found and the doctors took a chance with giving me the transplant. After 4 months in hospital I was released. It has been a very long hard road but I am so grateful to be alive.

We had a cruise booked before I got sick and because of this, we had to cancel :( and haven't been able to travel much since.

This transplant has really made us re-evaluate our life and also changed our lifestyle in a big way. I can no longer work which has taken a big toll on our finances. The transplant has changed my quality of life in what I am able to do now which is hard. My energy and stamina is not what it once was and I don't have the strength and abilities I once had. It is also very risky for me to leave the country making travelling hard.

BUT, I am now 3 years post transplant and doing well. I finally took the plunge and booked another cruise. My doctors don't know yet :eek: but I will be discussing it with them in April. I just hope I will be able to go :). I can't go through life living in a bubble. All I can do is hope for the best and wish for good health with lots of strength and energy to help make my trip enjoyable. Providing I can go of course :p

Best of luck to you, Misty. Stories like these really do make you thankful.

I sincerely hope you get to take your trip, and if you do, enjoy the heck out of it! It sounds like if anybody needs/deserves it, its you :)!

Best of luck to you, Misty. Stories like these really do make you thankful.

I sincerely hope you get to take your trip, and if you do, enjoy the heck out of it! It sounds like if anybody needs/deserves it, its you :)!

Thank you! My doctors refer to me as "A wonder of science" because I am so rare. I prefer "A freak of nature" :p

AMEN to that!!!!!

I am 23 years old- going on my 20th cruise in 12 days and I know that i am extremely LUCKY to have had such a BLESSED life at souch a young age!

I am very grateful to my parents and grandparents for provinding us (brother and I) with such AMAZING vacations; I know that we are a few of the "kids" our age who get the oportunity to experience such great vacations... many of my friends have never been out of the state, on an airplane, let alone on a cruise...

Thank you for posting a really thoughtful and positive post. Very thought provoking and a post that made me think again about how "good" we really have it!

Hear hear, great post....l try often to remind myself how fortunate l have been in recent years.............:D thank you

My husband was in his early 50's when he had two illnesses. After a year and a half of recouping and winning airline tickets we decided to try a cruise. We loved it. We have given up some things so we can cruise.

Nicely said KruzeRcI!

We always took at least one family vacation every year, some cruises, some land. In '05, after 28 years with his company, my DH was downsized and the offices closed. Almost 200 people lost their jobs.

He decided to open his own business (a restaurant). He's worked long hard hours to keep it going, especially in this economy. We had no money or time for vacations. This year we finally managed to spend 9 glorious days on the Explorer! We booked an inside room -- didn't care because we were so happy just to be able to go! It was a magical vacation and we appreciated every moment.

I think more people need to stop sweating the small stuff and appreciate what they can do.

Wonderful post!

Thank you for writing this. You are right on. After I read it, I took a minute to REALLY think about how lucky my family is.

Happy cruising!

Toni

Great post!!!

We are so fortunate to be able to cruise a couple of times a year. Last cruise was last month and we may not be going anywhere for a year or more. The house needs some TLC and we can't do both. Every cruise I'm on I try to stop and "smell the roses". We both work hard - over full time and our time together is limited. I love not having to share the DH with anyone and cherish those times we slow down together.

I love the sound of the ocean from the ship and the beach. I love the blue water (all those colors) and the sunsets and the moon and the stars. I love being rocked to sleep. I love it when the waiter seats me and puts the napkin on my lap. I love leaving the cabin and coming back to find my bed is made and I have clean towels. I love having time to read 2-3 novels. You get the picture. I hope I never take for granted how wonderful cruising is!!!

This is a great thread!

I try to take a few moments on all of my cruises to sit out on my balcony and thank god that I am able to cruise-both physically and financially. My husband passed away ten years ago at the age of 56 after a 10 month battle with cancer and I am thankful that we started cruising in 1990 and that he got to go several times before his illness. I have been cruising as much as I can since then.

Archived