Allure Secrets??? Past Cruisers, Tell Us Please!!!!

Hi ..Just got off the Allure and the one thing I missed was the omelet station in the Windjammer...We are Diamond members so we have been on numerous other ships including the Oasis..There has always been the omelet station in the windjammer...We took a new cruiser with us and he was looking forward to the omelets ( one of his favorite breakfast foods) and guess what..no cooked to order omelets!!! Also the eggs on the windjammer was the "liquid" eggs...Instead of ordering fresh sunny side eggs or over easy eggs as on the other ships, there was just a dish of already cooked eggs...also a dish of premade omelets. ( Just not the same) We went to the dining room to get custom hot from the skillet omelets and it just didn't hold up...Someone ordered scrambled eggs in the dining room and they were served the liquid eggs.. Then the last day, someone said Johnny rockets has the omelet station...Is this true???? So my point..one of Allure's secrets is they use liquid eggs and the omelet station is not available...( crowd control???)

Bee

Just back from our week on Allure March 6-13.

Formal nights on the Eastern Itinerary were Day 2 and Day 6.

The Main Dining Room featured the chocolate breakfast twice during the week. Chocolate pancakes, chocolate waffles, hot chocolate, chocolate milkshakes, and assorted chocolate pastries were available. A chocoholic's dream.

Several nights my husband and I skipped dessert in the Main Dining Room and headed up to the Windjammer, where we made ourselves ice cream sundaes. Each night the Windjammer had an ice cream station featuring vanilla ice cream, chocolate and strawberry toppings, and various nuts and chocolates to top things off. It was nice to sit by a window and enjoy our dessert in a quiet setting.

We loved watching Captain Johnny's bridge show each day on the in-room TV. We learned a lot and were really entertained by the captain. He's very personable. On the final sea day he rode his Harley around on the Boardwalk. Everyone loved it.

Even if you aren't really into the Dreamworks characters, have at least one photo taken with a character. The one of my husband and me with Shrek was great--no question we were going to purchase that one!

Bring a sweater/jacket to the Amber Theater if you go to see Chicago. It was very chilly in there the night we saw the show. Coming straight from dinner in a sleeveless dress made for a rather uncomfortable hour and a half.

I can't say enough good things about Samba Grill. I'm not even much of a meat eater, and I loved it. Terrific service, wonderful food and a great atmosphere made for a most enjoyable meal experience. I highly recommend it.

These are just a few things that came to mind. Hope they help. Have an outstanding cruise!

Things I love about Allure (and love Oasis too.)

8. Check out the wedding chapel. It is so peaceful there and the view is incredible.

I've seen pictures, but I wouldn't have thought of it, I assume its not locked and as long as its not in use that would be ok?

I can't say enough good things about Samba Grill. I'm not even much of a meat eater, and I loved it. Terrific service, wonderful food and a great atmosphere made for a most enjoyable meal experience. I highly recommend it.

Good to hear, as the months pass, the positive reviews seem to be growing and the negative ones becoming less. I'll be sure to mention it in my reviews.

Things I love about Allure (and love Oasis too.)

1. Solarium Bistro for lunch and breakfast. For lunch I was nuts about the do-it-yourself gazpacho soup. All the fixings are arranged and you add what you want to the basic tomato stock. It was heavenly and I had it every day.

2. The jazz club. Wonderful clubby feel with great chairs and no smoking. This palce is a gem.

3. The comedy club when the comedians are hot. I've been when the comedians were not so hot, but when they are cooking, I laugh myself silly.

4. Hubby says the roast beef sandwich at Park Cafe is to die for. I am vegetarian, so this is passed on by him and my son who agrees with him.

5. The carrousel. I find this such great fun and I am a big kid at age 67. Secret: You don't have to ride a horse. There is a nice comfy bench to sit on for the less agile folks such as myself.

6. Hint: If you do the on board zipline, keep your feet up for the landing. My son got it right his first trip. His second trip he hurt his knee.

7. There is the full length ice show but there is also a shorter one called "How to Tame Your Dragon." If you aren't quite up for the full length one, check out the shorter one which is especially for youngsters but Hubby still loves it.

8. Check out the wedding chapel. It is so peaceful there and the view is incredible.

9. My fave spot for morning is the rear of the ship, behind the FlowRiders. There are chaise lounges at that spot and free telescopes for viewing Cuba and the Bahamas in the distance. It is very breezy and cool even on the warmest mornings. The wake of the ship is spectacular and whips up so many shades of ocean blue. I love the wake of Allure.

10. Allure's art and sculpture. The stairwells have art at every landing (as do all RCI ships.) Some of the art mystifies me because I could do as well myself, but some is spectacular and exciting.

11. The staff in the Allure cosmetics and perfumery are the most helpful of any RCI ship I have sailed. On some RCI ships, they are distant, unhelpful, bored, or aloof or all of the above.

12. The sports deck staff on Allure is outstanding and so helpful and dedicated. I truly hope they do not get jaded from cruise after cruise. Anyway, Allure is still new enough that their enthusiasm is conatgeous.

13. If you are fortunate enough to have a suite or are Diamond Plus, the Concierge Lounge is second to none. The view is amazing. Only the Diamond Lounges on Feedom Class ships come close. I don't see anyway RCI can top this lounge or dedicate so much space on their new Sunshine Class ships.

14. In my opinion...and it is just mine...the MDR does not hold up against the Premium restaurants. The service is too slow and impersonal because the waiters are too rushed. The food is banquet food at best. In fact, The Windjammer had better food at night. If I sail Allure or Oasis again, I will skip the MDR every night and just do other shipboard restaurants.

15. The gym has amazing equipment and staff but lost a great feature of other RCI gyms--the spectacular view. I prefer the track because you get the fresh ocean air and views between the life boats.

16. The cupcake shop is a great idea but needs to offer mini-cupcakes for mini-indulgences.

17. On the Boardwalk, do not fail to check out the funny mirrors that make you fat, tall, skinny, and even upside down. I saw so many people blow right past these entertaining mirrors and never even notice.

18. The Blue Planet and the Dive Show were my favorites. I saw Ocean Aria three times. There's a really funny guy in it who dives like PeeWee Herman. So funny.

I know I have forgotten something. Allure is just an unbeliveable ship. When and if her prices drop, I will definitely return.

WOW!!!! Thanks for so many wonderful suggestions! I appreciate your efforts!

Our favourite spot to lay out in the sun was at the back of the ship between the Flowriders. We were able to find reclining seats at 11:00 am easily while all the pool side seating had been taken early on in the morning. Also, while the rest of the ship was being attacked by some pretty strong sea winds, this spot was relatively calm and protected.

Great tip! Thanks!

Just back from our week on Allure March 6-13.

Formal nights on the Eastern Itinerary were Day 2 and Day 6.

The Main Dining Room featured the chocolate breakfast twice during the week. Chocolate pancakes, chocolate waffles, hot chocolate, chocolate milkshakes, and assorted chocolate pastries were available. A chocoholic's dream.

Several nights my husband and I skipped dessert in the Main Dining Room and headed up to the Windjammer, where we made ourselves ice cream sundaes. Each night the Windjammer had an ice cream station featuring vanilla ice cream, chocolate and strawberry toppings, and various nuts and chocolates to top things off. It was nice to sit by a window and enjoy our dessert in a quiet setting.

We loved watching Captain Johnny's bridge show each day on the in-room TV. We learned a lot and were really entertained by the captain. He's very personable. On the final sea day he rode his Harley around on the Boardwalk. Everyone loved it.

Even if you aren't really into the Dreamworks characters, have at least one photo taken with a character. The one of my husband and me with Shrek was great--no question we were going to purchase that one!

Bring a sweater/jacket to the Amber Theater if you go to see Chicago. It was very chilly in there the night we saw the show. Coming straight from dinner in a sleeveless dress made for a rather uncomfortable hour and a half.

These are just a few things that came to mind. Hope they help. Have an outstanding cruise!

Thanks for really wonderful tips! We have reservations at Samba glad to hear it was such a great experience! We are taking our 3 year old, can't wait to see how he reacts to meeting Shrek! I will be sure to take a wrap, I hate being cold! :)

On the last night we enjoyed a wonderful fountain show in the Aquatheatre that was synchronized to music and video on the big screens. Great way to unwind after final packing. Quality was comparable to Bellagio in Las Vegas

Suzanne

Oh wow this is the first I read of this, being from Vegas I look forward to seeing this thank you so much for sharing!

On the last night we enjoyed a wonderful fountain show in the Aquatheatre that was synchronized to music and video on the big screens. Great way to unwind after final packing. Quality was comparable to Bellagio in Las Vegas

Suzanne

How late did that start? Can't wait to see it!

The Allure is a wonderful ship and it's even better than any port we went to. We just did the Western Caribbean, Labadee, Falmouth, Jamaica, and Cozumel.

First you need to make reservations for all the show you want to see before you go. If traveling with little kids, the Dreamworks breakfast is good and you definitely need a reservation or you may not get in. Go online and check out the dining reservations...it's listed there under all the ones you pay for, but it's free.

Ocean Aria was wonderful too! We saw it on the first night...get there about 30 minutes before showtime or you'll end up sitting on the wooden benches rather than the comfy lounge style seats.

We had reservations for all the shows, but we had such a great time in the pools and Flowrider and zip line and ping pong, that we never made any other shows the entire 7 days.

Getting a chair poolside on days at sea is tough unless you get put there by 9am...keep that in mind...we walked around for about a 1/2 hour before a nice couple let us put our bags down by their chairs while we played in the pool with the kids.

Breakfast at Johnny Rockets is free and it's never busy.

The rooms are nice and staff is amazing.....we had a fabulous time!

Labadee was a dissappointment due to the beaches being rocky and full of Coral...if you go ashore , take water shoes.

Falmouth was not even close to being complete on March 30th...they had a band and lots of vendors in the town square to greet passengers though and that was nice. We did get a free Falmouth backpack in our cabin the night before we were in port.

Cozumel was really fun for shopping , eating and drinking.

The pools were almost empty on days in port so that's a real good time to take advantage of pool time. The Zip line and Flowriders were open while in port and there were no lines on them either...so my family took advantage of that.

Be sure to take a power strip and maybe a dry erase board to leave a note for anyone else in your stateroom who may run out to do something. We also took walkie talkies to keep in touch with a teenager once in a while....we didn't use it much, but it came in handy a few times. Even my husband and I used them when I took my daughter ice skating and he went out with my 3 yr old...a good way to find each other.

I found there were plenty of places to hang wet clothes...the showers have hooks in them as do the bathroom walls and backs of doors.

I kept misplacing my seapass card, so I finally broke down and got a beaded lanyard in the gift shop..... I never lost it again and it was really handy

I overpacked a lot...Now I know that even dress up nights are not that fancy...a nice sundress and a just a jacket for men works fine. We lived in our bathing suits and coverups. If you do the Flowrider...bring a rashguard or tee or tank...we saw a lot of boobs flashing....

Enjoy it....we cannot wait to go again next Spring break.... Oasis here we come!

The Allure is a wonderful ship and it's even better than any port we went to. We just did the Western Caribbean, Labadee, Falmouth, Jamaica, and Cozumel.

First you need to make reservations for all the show you want to see before you go. If traveling with little kids, the Dreamworks breakfast is good and you definitely need a reservation or you may not get in. Go online and check out the dining reservations...it's listed there under all the ones you pay for, but it's free.

Ocean Aria was wonderful too! We saw it on the first night...get there about 30 minutes before showtime or you'll end up sitting on the wooden benches rather than the comfy lounge style seats.

We had reservations for all the shows, but we had such a great time in the pools and Flowrider and zip line and ping pong, that we never made any other shows the entire 7 days.

Getting a chair poolside on days at sea is tough unless you get put there by 9am...keep that in mind...we walked around for about a 1/2 hour before a nice couple let us put our bags down by their chairs while we played in the pool with the kids.

Breakfast at Johnny Rockets is free and it's never busy.

The rooms are nice and staff is amazing.....we had a fabulous time!

Labadee was a dissappointment due to the beaches being rocky and full of Coral...if you go ashore , take water shoes.

Falmouth was not even close to being complete on March 30th...they had a band and lots of vendors in the town square to greet passengers though and that was nice. We did get a free Falmouth backpack in our cabin the night before we were in port.

Cozumel was really fun for shopping , eating and drinking.

The pools were almost empty on days in port so that's a real good time to take advantage of pool time. The Zip line and Flowriders were open while in port and there were no lines on them either...so my family took advantage of that.

Be sure to take a power strip and maybe a dry erase board to leave a note for anyone else in your stateroom who may run out to do something. We also took walkie talkies to keep in touch with a teenager once in a while....we didn't use it much, but it came in handy a few times. Even my husband and I used them when I took my daughter ice skating and he went out with my 3 yr old...a good way to find each other.

I found there were plenty of places to hang wet clothes...the showers have hooks in them as do the bathroom walls and backs of doors.

I kept misplacing my seapass card, so I finally broke down and got a beaded lanyard in the gift shop..... I never lost it again and it was really handy

I overpacked a lot...Now I know that even dress up nights are not that fancy...a nice sundress and a just a jacket for men works fine. We lived in our bathing suits and coverups. If you do the Flowrider...bring a rashguard or tee or tank...we saw a lot of boobs flashing....

Enjoy it....we cannot wait to go again next Spring break.... Oasis here we come!

Wonderful info, thanks! Did you use adventure ocean for your 3 year old? Curious to hear any feedback on that for 3 year olds.

What days do they have the chocolate breakfast? That sounds yummy!!

I could be totally wrong..... I think I remember reading somewhere on CC that the chocolate breakfast is served during the character breakfasts listed under specialty dining and you have to make reservations for them. Hopefully, someone can confirm that this is the correct info. If it is wrong, I apologize in advance for providing inaccurate information.

That would be very disappointing. DOes anyone know if this is true??

Below is the copy and paste of what I read that made me think it was available at the Dreamworks breakfast... couldn't figure out how to post a link to the thread... sorry.

February 24th, 2011, 09:05 PM

sharktums

Cool Cruiser

Our head waiter also told us they weren't doing it anymore due to waste. They said due to rules, they couldn't even feed the leftovers to the crew and it was just a huge waste.

If you have a honkering for some Chocolate head to the Dreamworks character breakfast...insane!!!

Last edited by sharktums; February 24th, 2011 at 09:07 PM.

• 3 months later...

This thread is great! We're sailing 8/28, and we've already booked all our shows thanks to advice on the board. We're also definitely planning to check out breakfast at Johnny Rocket's and the scavenger hunt book.

I'm reviving this thread to ask if anyone has any new thoughts since this thread was posted on "don't miss" Allure features or hidden gems! Thanks so much in advance for any tips.

This thread is great! We're sailing 8/28, and we've already booked all our shows thanks to advice on the board. We're also definitely planning to check out breakfast at Johnny Rocket's and the scavenger hunt book.

I'm reviving this thread to ask if anyone has any new thoughts since this thread was posted on "don't miss" Allure features or hidden gems! Thanks so much in advance for any tips.

Can anyone actually list all the shows that one needs to book on the Allure?

Archived