would you share a C & A balcony discount?

You say "making my cruise a higher price". Higher than what? While you are paying more than your roommate, unless you are eligibile for some discount of your own [such as shareholder], you are not paying a higher price than you would have paid if you had you roomed with someone who had no discount. I don't quite see why you should be entitled to a portion of someone else's earned benefit.

Thom

Agree...though with OP having the Shareholder credit, which can't be combined it changes the situation where perhaps the higher C&A cruiser should be sharing the discount since the Shareholder discount has to be foregone. Or, OP could demand the Shareholder credit and have the C&A discount removed...

Without sharing and the loss of the Shareholder credit, I see this roomie situation as a potential problem.

I guess not knowing the exact cruise maybe C&A and Shareholder credits are the same amount in which case a calm conversation about one vs the other and if both are equal choose the one desired, the C&A is probably better...and share it evenly. If it is a $200 C&A vs $100 Shareholder then perhaps it should be shared 2/3 and 1/3 to OP.

HERE IS A NEW TWIST......

April 2009, treated my SIL to a B-day cruise, due to the swine flu scare, Mexico Riviera changed to a Cabo-SF itinerary and we received some OBC.

Who should get the OBC or should it be divided?

If you paid for the whole cruise you keep it....I had OBC on a cruise where I paid for others to be there and I kept the OBC...

You can choose to have the balcony discount applied to one or both passengers. If you don't like it, call and change it.;)

I have always shared that. However, if I have the shareholder's credit or a Next Cruise credit, that's mine, baby! :p (Unless they have the same, and one has to forfeit using their's as only one is allowed per cabin).

Just wonder would you share the C&R balcony discount with a friend or someone you just met when sharing a cabin? (you get the benefit and they don't)

This issue has come up recently since the travel agent gave my cabinmate the full $200 discount making my cruise a higher price. I don't get the perk.

We had the travel agent give us each $100 off, but my cabinmate felt in gerernal she earned it so she should get the full discount.

It gets even more interesting when the non benefit member is entitled to shareholder shipboard credit.

What kind of cabin mate is this? A stranger?...I real friend would have shared the discount...after all youre sharing everything else right?

If the cabin mate really wanted the whole discount he/she should have paid the single rate and not gotten a cheaper fare because of a roomate..

Sounds Cheesy to me !!!!

I would hope that if I knew/trusted the person enough to share a cabin with them, I would share the discount. But that said, if the other person is the one with the discount coming to them and they shared it with me, I would agree with a previous poster, I would want to give some sort of thank you.

I know when we've traveled with my parents, we 'mixed' the bookings to get the best discount possible. Of course, that's family so that probably isn't a fair example.

Good Luck.

Erika

I have a (very good) friend I cruise with once a year. We share all my discounts and perks evenly.

If I were to book a balcony and get my D+ discount, then it would be shared between the two of us.

However, she recently went on a cruise with her daughter and had a problem on the Jewel, and RCCL gave them each a $125 certificate toward a future cruise. To me that is like her getting a refund of her own money, and I told her to apply it to our cruise for this September. I then recalculated what she owed, because she now owed less than I did on the remaining balance.

It evens out between us, because I do all the legwork with planning, booking, price checking, etc., and all she does is send me her share of the payments. However, she is picking up the pre-cruise hotel room (against my wishes).

I've known my friend for 15 years, so this is a different situation than the OP's. I would not expect someone I don't know very well to split a discount with me; it's up to them.

Just wonder would you share the C&R balcony discount with a friend or someone you just met when sharing a cabin? (you get the benefit and they don't)

This issue has come up recently since the travel agent gave my cabinmate the full $200 discount making my cruise a higher price. I don't get the perk.

We had the travel agent give us each $100 off, but my cabinmate felt in gerernal she earned it so she should get the full discount.

It gets even more interesting when the non benefit member is entitled to shareholder shipboard credit.

In this case, I agree with your cabin mate. If the cabin mates are people who just met and have basically been assigned to room together by the TA, I see no reason why the one who "earned" the discount should not be entitled to the entire discount. As to paying "more," you are paying no more than you would pay if neither of you got a discount. It's not like your fare increases because she gets a discount on hers.

Not sure why shareholder shipboard credit would be any more interesting... each person can set up their own onboard account on their own credit card. Not sure why the non-shareholder would even need to be award that the shareholder was getting a credit.

A different but similar scenario....

When our 4 kids were teens, we frequently allowed them each to bring along a friend when we cruised. We'd split up our four boys into two cabins and then they would each share a cabin with two friends. I never divided the cost of the cabin equally among the four kids. I always had the friends pay the third and fourth pax rate. It meant I absorbed more of the cost since I paid full price for all four of our kids instead of two of our kids getting the 3rd and 4th pax rate, but otherwise I felt it looked like I was asking them to come along so I could lower the cost for me with my kids.

Archived