Campaign to urge rccl for better desserts

Yes, this is nothing new... You can always get vanilla or chocolate & I think strawberry, but every day they feature a flavor.... My favorite is the pistachio and the butter almond. They also have a sherbet of the day. I get so bored of orange, I long for the lime!

I love having ice cream for on cruises.

Since we eat it by the pint, It's a NO-NO at our house!

-Ria

I am reading through this thread again & I can't believe what I'm reading.

I don't understand what the big deal is.... Yes, I LOOOOVE the Grand Marnier Souffles & I miss them terribly, but is it really worth leaving an entire cruise line because their desserts aren't something out of Jacque Torres' kitchen?

On my final dinner on my last cruise I ate a salad, samosas, an order of prime rib, two lobster tails, 8 shrimp, 2 portions of steamed broccoli, 2 sourdough rolls with butter & shared moussaka with my mom. I had the oozing vanilla ice cream over cherries jubilee, mmm. After a meal like that does it really hurt to have a fruit plate or ice cream?

People will eat a twinkie, but they don't care for RCI's spiral cake. They will eat a sugar-free, fat-free jello filled with chemicals that doesn't need to be refrigerated from the grocery store, but not RCI's raspberry panna cota. Let me ask you this.... Has anyone had the chocolate covered sunshine granola bars, brownies, cinnamon coffee cake or the blueberry or lemon sponge cake from the Cafe Promenade?? DEEEEE-LICIOUS!

Are you forgetting the fact that you are on vacation and you didn't have to slave over a stove, peel one potato, or wash one dish??

Look at the BIG picture.

NOW I"M HUNGRY! :rolleyes:

Are you forgetting the fact that you are on vacation and you didn't have to slave over a stove, peel one potato, or wash one dish??

What has that got to do with anything? I should be grateful because I don't have to cook or clean on my vacation? I just don't get this line of reasoning.

What has that got to do with anything? I should be grateful because I don't have to cook or clean on my vacation? I just don't get this line of reasoning.

So agree Marci

I am paying close to 2000 per person for my cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas...is it too much to ask for better desserts during my vacation considering I am paying quite a lot. There is a difference being at home and on vacation....and I am paying for taking my vacation with RCCL not another line. They advertise good food and the highlights of taking a cruise on RCCL. Dessert is something I enjoy and I can see that from reading this thread so do so many others too...after all we are vacation!

These forums are for sharing ideas & opinions... Not jumping down anyones throat, I am merely trying to understand why people are considering changing cruise lines because of dessert?

Call me a diplomat, but yes.... I DO feel very grateful that I am able to travel as much as I do & don't have to cook or wash dishes. I too pay thousands, but if I'm going to complain it will be over uncleanliness or a broken toilet. Not about dessert.

Sure sign me up for better deserts and Food in general. It has to be better than the Norweigen Spirit where my brother and I cruised last December and I lost 7 3/4 pounds the week on the cruise, the food was horrible!!!!!

Sigh...... yet another food fight. Food is S U B J E C T I V E. I just got off of the Spirit and LOVED the food.

I like RCI's deserts. Try some of the other lines and they are much worse. No wait, that is just my opinion.

Sigh... move on everyone.

These forums are for sharing ideas & opinions... Not jumping down anyones throat, I am merely trying to understand why people are considering changing cruise lines because of dessert?

Call me a diplomat, but yes.... I DO feel very grateful that I am able to travel as much as I do & don't have to cook or wash dishes. I too pay thousands, but if I'm going to complain it will be over uncleanliness or a broken toilet. Not about dessert.

I don't want you to think that we switched just for the desserts. But for our first 3 cruises, we didn't think we would ever sail another cruise line. But by the fourth, when we had tried the majority of their vessel types and a variety of itineararies, we started to wonder if we should look at another line.

And yes, food in general was a big part of that decision. And I really like RCI's food (though rarely think the desserts match the quality of the mains) but after 4 cruises with few menu changes, we tried Celebrity. The food was noticibly better quality (but RCI had better variety); however, we didn't enjoy the entertainment as much. You can see where each spends the majority of their money.

So now we will probably try Princess. But we have another cruise booked with RCI and will continue to cruise with them (smart marketing on their part- they have a great return guest incentive program) as I want to try the Oasis class and probably book Celebrity on itineraries when we will be too busy to care about onboard entertainment.

If the menus changed more often (though I realize that this is expensive) and the food was slightly better, we might never have strayed. And that is something the cruise line has to think about. That and the increasingly negative reviews about the food on sites like these, because the cruiselines read them, as do thousands of potential customers.

And while the OP was serious, I think it was still a lighthearted request, so try reading this thread with that in mind.

Cheers,

I'll join, I have never been overly impressed with cruise ship desserts on any line. The cakes are usually bland, the cookies are hard, the cheese cake is spongy, and they seem to only use that nasty bitter dark chocolate (is Hershey's really that expensive? :D). The only things they do fairly well are the pies.

For the record, I love "nasty, bitter" dark chocolate! But yeah, the other stuff sounds not so awesome. Good Luck, y'all!

For the record, I love "nasty, bitter" dark chocolate! But yeah, the other stuff sounds not so awesome. Good Luck, y'all!

I love all chocolate...extra dark, dark, milk and white chocolate. Just put some more chocolate desserts on the menus as your offerings please RCCL. No more gelatin type desserts and add a real cheesecake too! But again I sure would love more thought and some major review on the desserts being offered by RCCL on all cruise ships MDR and in the Windjammer.

I agree -desserts are a dissapppointment. Would love to have something like Carnival's Chocolate Melting Cake and Grand Marnier Souffle. How about just a normal chocolate cake?

Totally agree with you there! I think they try to get too fancy with the presentation and are lacking when it comes to taste. I'd rather a good brownie with a scoop of decent quality ice cream on top of it than some fancy but tasteless chocolate desert!

i agree -desserts are a dissapppointment. Would love to have something like carnival's chocolate melting cake and grand marnier souffle. How about just a normal chocolate cake?

i so agree! The grand marnier souffle and a chocolate cake sound so very good!

Went to a small family owned hotel in New Hampshire this weekend. After a yummy prime rib dinner I had an old fashioned strawberry shortcake... Simple drop buttermilk biscuit, fresh strawberries & whipped cream. So very simple & satisfyingly Dee-lish! Put a little mint sprig on it & this would be a great idea!

softserv ice cream in the wj would be nice, yogurt is a poor substitution when one wants ice cream.

hal ships have an ice cream station to get a cup or a cone of real ice cream, and not at extra charge. I miss that on the radiance.

Went to a small family owned hotel in New Hampshire this weekend. After a yummy prime rib dinner I had an old fashioned strawberry shortcake... Simple drop buttermilk biscuit, fresh strawberries & whipped cream. So very simple & satisfyingly Dee-lish! Put a little mint sprig on it & this would be a great idea!

I LOVE THIS IDEA...something simple like strawberry shortcake is what so many people love! RCCL seriously consider this idea please!

I actually remember having sugar free desserts that were better (IMHO) than the regular pastries. We couldn't believe it was sugarless. Didn't have that funny aftertaste. Love the idea of the simple "strawberry cheesecake". A caterer once told me most folks remember the last thing they eat which is why he liked to jazz up desserts. I don't recall one memorable dessert on any of my last few cruises and YES it's a big deal. Why not expect the best?? We're worth it. :D

I actually remember having sugar free desserts that were better (IMHO) than the regular pastries. We couldn't believe it was sugarless. Didn't have that funny aftertaste. Love the idea of the simple "strawberry cheesecake". A caterer once told me most folks remember the last thing they eat which is why he liked to jazz up desserts. I don't recall one memorable dessert on any of my last few cruises and YES it's a big deal. Why not expect the best?? We're worth it. :D

I have had some sugar free desserts too that are better than the regular desserts. Again I think you have noted they spent the time to make special desserts but have not spent the time to create desserts of quality for the masses in the Windjammer and in the Main Dining Rooms.

I hope that Royal Caribbean spend some time creating new desserts for vacationers on their cruise lines enjoy desserts again. After all this is our vacation time being spent with Royal Caribbean.

Just finishing watching a segment on the TODAY SHOW about making macaroon cookies. The chef stated that the cupcake craze is phased out! Now these french cookies -- muli colored macaroons are the trendy "it" dessert. I wonder if the cupcake place on the newest RCCL ships will be discussed to make changes and phase out?

Just finishing watching a segment on the TODAY SHOW about making macaroon cookies. The chef stated that the cupcake craze is phased out! Now these french cookies -- muli colored macaroons are the trendy "it" dessert. I wonder if the cupcake place on the newest RCCL ships will be discussed to make changes and phase out?

Cupcakes are too big/too much. I have heard the growing Cake Pop trend will be pushing cupcakes out. I've seen several local cake shops offering them as a party alternative.

I'm a Diamond Plus member with RCL, and have for years been making a written comment on the comment cards that gelatin should be banned from the pastry chef pantry of ingredients. The reason most of the desserts are so bad is that they are really just cheap gelatin/jello junk. It's cheap to make, easy to present, and undesirable to eat.

Now if all the deserts could be a good at the tiramisu in Portofino this thread wouldn't exist.

My two cents.

Archived