Campaign to urge rccl for better desserts

I enjoy my desserts and I love to bake and make treats that are sweet. Call me a dessert snob! I am not thrilled with many of the desserts on my RCCL cruises but I satisfy myself with their cookies sometimes. I really wish the RCCL would make serious efforts to improve the desserts or even consider offering new varieties of desserts in speciality restaurants. There are some desserts that I do like but overall, nothing is exceptional. flourless chocolate cake is okay but could use some more flavor in the vanilla addition. I would like to see if anyone else agrees with me! I do hope RCCL reads these postings. I would also hope that they would consider selecting some cruisers to review their menu's to make some consumer based decisions for them.

Anyone else have thoughts.

I agree with you 100% and have even written it on my post cruise comment request from RCI...Too many of their desserts lack in taste at all, as compared to the desserts they offered many years ago..They seem to be going for looks rather than taste..not what I'm looking for..Their bread pudding is pretty good..but why is it only offered in the afternoons in the WJ? And Johnny Rockets has great apple pie..why does it taste sooo much better than the applepie anywhere else onboard :confused:

Having Celiac disease, it would also be nice if there were more gluten free choices. I know they have the flourless chocolate cake, but I usually just have the sherbert or ice cream at night for dessert. They make gluten free bread, so I'd like to see some gluten free cookies or something as well.

We had excellent desserts on Voyager last month, helped by the fact we tried to avoid ordering anything which might be gelatin-re-inforced into that never-gonna-melt form some have.

There was one in particular. No idea what it was called but it had bits of vanilla sponge cake surrounded by rum raisin chocolate ganache. Absolutely to die for!

I have to agree that the cheese cake needs some cream cheese, though.

Also would like to see more desserts with tropical fruit offered on caribbean voyages, or maybe add a slice of mango or make a papaya sauce.

CincinnatiGal:

I do agree with you. Overall we were very happy with the food on our recent Monarch cruise both in the dining room and in the Windjammer, however the desserts were kinda hit or miss. Plus I notices an awful lot of the "sugar-free" artificial-type desserts especially in the WJ

The layered chocolate brownie dessert was terrific, but the raspberry mousse thingy we had tasted kinda like jello/hospital dessert. The key lime pie was good though - in fact I asked for a second piece of that!

But they could do with some real blockbusters like a nice slice of a real NY Cheesecake. A little less mass produced and a little more home-style! (Yes - i know --- homestyle ... for 3000 guests! LOL)

Tony

I enjoy my desserts and I love to bake and make treats that are sweet. Call me a dessert snob! I am not thrilled with many of the desserts on my RCCL cruises but I satisfy myself with their cookies sometimes. I really wish the RCCL would make serious efforts to improve the desserts or even consider offering new varieties of desserts in speciality restaurants. There are some desserts that I do like but overall, nothing is exceptional. flourless chocolate cake is okay but could use some more flavor in the vanilla addition. I would like to see if anyone else agrees with me! I do hope RCCL reads these postings. I would also hope that they would consider selecting some cruisers to review their menu's to make some consumer based decisions for them.

Anyone else have thoughts.

Sure sign me up for better deserts and Food in general. It has to be better than the Norweigen Spirit where my brother and I cruised last December and I lost 7 3/4 pounds the week on the cruise, the food was horrible!!!!!

Yes, they absolutely need better desserts. We both love the warm chocolate cake, but that is the only dessert that has been great on all of our cruises.

One of the major disappointments has been the cheesecake....ugh with the gelatin stuff!

Do you think they ever look in the garbarge? I know my last cruise there were 10 at our table, ALL ordered strawberry cheesecake and NONE ate it. Were not sure what we would call it but it wasn't cheesecake :confused: Even grocery store frozen at least taste like cheesecake. :rolleyes:

BonVoyage

Dawna

LOL this is my DH biggest beef! We've cruised Navigator and Grandeur because of the B J s ice cream!! We mostly blow off the MDR dessert and head there or Johnny Rockets for shakes. (since we are not big drinkers this makes up the bulk of our bill!) Unfortunately the last 2 cruises there was a problem with the ice cream cooler or no coffee ice cream or rootbeer at JR. We actually lost weight because we couldn't find a dessert worth putting in our mouths. ;)

Next up is Oasis, no B& J but we have high hopes for the ice cream and candy on the boardwalk!

I'll join, I have never been overly impressed with cruise ship desserts on any line. The cakes are usually bland, the cookies are hard, the cheese cake is spongy, and they seem to only use that nasty bitter dark chocolate (is Hershey's really that expensive? :D). The only things they do fairly well are the pies.

RCCL needs to improve the overall quality of food in general.I will admit that the blueberry pound cake in the promenade cafe is good as well as the sugar free vanilla coconut cake in the MDR. I think RCCL would be better off loading up on some boxes of Duncan Hines cake, brownie, or muffin mixes.Better yet give RCCL's pastery chef job to Betty Crocker lol.....

Sure sign me up for better deserts and Food in general. It has to be better than the Norweigen Spirit where my brother and I cruised last December and I lost 7 3/4 pounds the week on the cruise, the food was horrible!!!!!

A sure bet for weight loss is to book a NCL cruise, in order to get edible food you have to go to the speciality restaurants. Now the people on board are the best I've ever cruised with.

I'm still grieving the loss of the grand marnier souffle! It was my favorite and I think it's gone from the menu...sob...

Judy

That souffle is by far the best dessert they offered. They have done away with it & now offer a chocolate souffle on Day 2's formal night (escargot & duck night). It does not compare! I bought the Savor cookbook just to get that Grand marnuer souffle recipe!

Bring back that yummy souffle!

I will admit that the blueberry pound cake in the promenade cafe is good. I think RCCL would be better off loading up on some boxes of Duncan Hines cake, brownie, or muffin mixes..

My biggest peeve is that many of the cakes especially the chocolate ones, taste like there is liquor in them. It is probably some extract or something, but not very good.

I would lllooooovee to have plain yellow Duncan Hines cake with chocolate frosting! The promenade coffee cake or plain sponge cake is soo moist. Simple & done really well!

Other than the departed grand Marnier Souffle my favorites are the lime sherbet, the cherries jubilee and the tiramisu shooter at Portofino. (and that's coming from a Tiramisu non-enthusiast!) RCLs is very light!

RCL always aims to please!!!

On our last cruise on the Freedom, we asked our head waiter if we could have Grand Marnier souffles. We were celebrating our anniversary. Later that week they brought four of them to our table on the last formal night! It was a great way to score happy points with us & they were delicious!

DH & I offered the other two souffles to the next table (my time dining.) We were seated at a table next to a table of honeymooners probably 3 of the 7 nights. The couple obliged & took the 2 extras. Their last words were... "Wow that was the best dessert we had all week. What a treat, thank you!"

There is no hurt in asking, but plan ahead.. They need time to prepare & cook. The dining staff is just as attentive & personalized at my time dining if not more attentive. Unlike traditional dining, they constantly have people coming in & out. Not only do they do a great job serving you, but you do get to make those connections & get to know them too. Their willingness to please always surpasses itself each & every cruise we go on!

Enough said... How about that souffle?

What we Americans read as a lack of flavor in the desserts may actually be a lack of sweetness -- and its not just RCCL. I have noticed it on every cruise line I've ever been on. Cruise line desserts tend to be flavored more like those in European restaurants, which tend to be much less sweet than the desserts an American palate is used to.

So yes, sign me up for the campaign, but just expand it to the cruise industry as a whole (just don't ever change that warm chocolate cake -- its the best dessert I've ever had anywhere).

Archived