Campaign to urge rccl for better desserts

Count me in on this campaign! Most of the desserts don't have any taste at all.

My sister and I are always say there is no vanilla extract in the chef's kitchen on ships!! Maybe we'll bring some and show them how to use it.

The best dessert IMHO is the key lime pie. We usually tell the head waiter that we would like to have that several times during our cruise and they have always made sure they make it for us even if it's not on the menu.

Never cared for any of the desserts in the WJ. They all looked like squares of gelatin based cakes and looked like all were made with the same basic ingredients but with different colors, flavors. Cookies in the Promonade Cafe.. Great. Dessert in the MDR, better than the WJ but still lacking. Cheesecake is what I call "fake". I wish they had more fruit pies and some REAL chocolate cake and yes I also dedect a hint of some sort of liquor or such flavoring. No worries, I never lost any wait from lack of sweets :rolleyes:

The only dessert I like on RCCL ships is the chocolate mud pie in Chops- my goodness is that delicious! If I could have it or something like that in the MDR once in a while, I would be a happy camper. We normally get a scoop of ice cream for dessert, just to have the taste of something sweet at the end of our meal.

I agree with everyone one so far. Cheesecake? Not even close. Sadly, the Sugar Free Key Lime Pie is WAY better than the regular one. What does that say? The chocolate cakes? Pepperidge Farms beats them and that doesn't say much. Heck, they could improve the cakes by 100% if they just put butter cream frosting on them. Speaking of which, do they EVER make a butter cream frosting? The ONLY dessert that has been memorable (in a good way) was the Tiramisu we had at Portifinos. Now THAT was excellent!

I guess the saving grace is since I'm a dessert fan, I don't have to worry about eating to much. :(

Erika

I beg to differ ... we have always found the desserts (sugar-free and sugar-full) to be excellent. We have never, ever heard anyone on board (our dinner companions, etc) complain about the desserts ... of course there are some that are not to a person's liking - I don't like souffles - but no complaints here! At all of our dinner tables, with all of our tablemates, on all of our cruises - nothing but empty dessert plates & satisifed "yums"

Yes, I do bake ... sometimes even from scratch!!

Now, ask me about the doughnuts in the morning - that's another story!! Horrible, horrible stale things ... and the hot dog buns as well ...

I wish they would bring back the oldies but goodies too! Remember when they would have creme brulee, grand marnier souffle, neopoleon and the like on the menus for dinner in the MDR? I have asked for creme brulee, and after a couple days, the waiter would bring out a special dish of creme brulee for our table. Yep, if you ask, alot of times, they will try to accommodate you!

Love this thread and am all in favor of better desserts. RCI needs to add 50% more sugar, use real butter, and use real milk. Don't give me the excuse that they can't do it for 3000 people. I suspect it is really a money issue.

Sure sign me up for better deserts and Food in general. It has to be better than the Norweigen Spirit where my brother and I cruised last December and I lost 7 3/4 pounds the week on the cruise, the food was horrible!!!!!

And the desserts in particular. The "chocolate crepe" was like a flour tortilla with artificial chocolate (the type you get in Moon Pies) with something unidentifiable drizzed over the top. The first bite I thought to myself this can't be that bad. The second bite confirmed it. As I was leaving, I saw quite a few other people felt the same way as many plates had them still sitting there. The chocolate buffet was beautiful to look at. But, again, looking around the room as I was leaving, just a few bites taken and the rest sitting on abandoned plates. Then there was the Monte Carlo sandwich made with I don't know what meat???????

I find enough good desserts on Royal Caribbean to keep me from gaining weight (which is a blessing in disguise) and to take care of my sweet tooth. However, some are pretty lame so it is easy to pass them up.

Tucker in Texas

I'm still grieving the loss of the grand marnier souffle! It was my favorite and I think it's gone from the menu...sob...

Judy

WHAT???!!!

OK. That's it!! I'm canceling my cruise!!

bob123

RCCL BUTTER IN YOUR DESSERTS, MORE CHOCOLATE, REAL CHEESECAKE NOT MADE WITH GELATIN....maybe consider hiring Paula Deen as a consultant to teach your pastry chefs how to make desserts! Y'all could use a little bit of Paula's talents for baking and dessert making!

I am hearing and I hope RCCL hears that we need a dessert reform of the menu done with quality. When I am on vacation I want to eat dessert's and I hope that RCCL revisits their cost saving ideas with gelatin additives to include basic ingredients as butter, sugar, chocolate etc...

I totally agree. Those squares of colored gelatin-type whatever deserts are a mystery to me. Where the heck did they get those? I've never seen them sold anywhere! I don't think RCCI has a "pastry chef" I think they buy all the deserts wholesale. I've never gained weight on a cruise and this is probably the reason why. I think the only one I've had that I liked was creme brulee and that was back in '07 or '08!! And I don't think it has anything to do with "European" Italy and France have wonderful sweet deserts!! Think of their pastries!! Yummmmmmmmmmmm:p

RCCL BUTTER IN YOUR DESSERTS, MORE CHOCOLATE, REAL CHEESECAKE NOT MADE WITH GELATIN....maybe consider hiring Paula Deen as a consultant to teach your pastry chefs how to make desserts! Y'all could use a little bit of Paula's talents for baking and dessert making!

I am hearing and I hope RCCL hears that we need a dessert reform of the menu done with quality. When I am on vacation I want to eat dessert's and I hope that RCCL revisits their cost saving ideas with gelatin additives to include basic ingredients as butter, sugar, chocolate etc...

You forgot the most important: Bring back Grand Marnier Souffle!!!!!!

I too find the desserts lacking. They just are not that rich; butter eggs and cream would improve that.

The cheesecake is not cheesecake.

And there are not enough chocolate desserts to satisfy this chocoholic.

I have commented on several occasions that they need to improve the desserts. A lot of good that did!

Okay, I was just thinking if RCCL would get rid of their current tv commercial and go with a new commercial featuring their chefs and their pastry chefs and show their desserts and their cruisers eating these better desserts I bet that they will increase their business dramatically. WHO DOES NOT WANT TO GO ON VACATION AND INDULGE IN QUALITY DESSERTS OCCASIONALLY? I think everyone does but for some reason RCCL has forgotten we are on vacation when we cruise with them and the importance of desserts with quality have been somewhat forgotten! Bring on the quality desserts please RCCL!

I would have never created this thread on cruisecritic.com if I did not want to really see improvement on future cruises for everyone! I believe that my upcoming expensive cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas would be better immensely if the desserts would be improved and I would forgive some of the other things lacking in the dining options! QUALITY DESSERTS FOR ALL on RCCL! GOSH, I am almost ready to get T-Shirts printed to wear this on my upcoming cruise!

Just makes we wonder what they think when they see that hardly any deserts are not eaten. Or do they care? Just throw them all away? But maybe they always have first time cruisers who don't know any better and take those pretty deserts thinking they will taste good so it looks like a lot of people are eating them..... I think on my next cruise at the buffet especially as they start to take one of those deserts, I'll say, "I wouldn't if I were you" "They are horrible" so that more are left just sitting there.

I totally agree about the desserts! The one negative about RC cruise is the desserts. I would have to say everytime I do have a dessert I find myself only taking 2-4 bites and wasting the dessert as they are not good...they just fair, or tasteless, or just not exciting in general. The souffle what the heck did they do! Took away the Grand Marnier souffle and replaced it with this not good souffle with chocolate that was mild in flavor too mild, and it was not warm?? They also suppose to prepare in front of you the mixture by placing the spoon breaking the inside to pour the mixture inside, instead now what we experienced they just pour it on top of the souffle and its up to us to put the hold inside so it absorbs then when we do this there is not enough mixture to get inside....their "cheesecake" is a joke as well as all other desserts. The past two cruises we not even have the baked alaska (I thought that wasy always very good)....the only desserts to me that is tasty is just the plain ice cream now thats telling you something....

I would love to see crepes susette being served then thinking about the desserts that RC does have I not even want it because I would only be disappointed....PLEASE RC CHANGE YOUR DESSERTS FOR BETTER, I mean in taste and selection better please! The desserts taste like frozen, immiatation tasting ones....

"The desserts taste like frozen, immiatation tasting ones.... "

They ARE frozen, immitation ones:rolleyes: Like I suggested earlier, I don't they they actually have a Pastry Chef on board any of their ships:(

I beg to differ ... we have always found the desserts (sugar-free and sugar-full) to be excellent. We have never, ever heard anyone on board (our dinner companions, etc) complain about the desserts ... of course there are some that are not to a person's liking - I don't like souffles - but no complaints here! At all of our dinner tables, with all of our tablemates, on all of our cruises - nothing but empty dessert plates & satisifed "yums"

Yes, I do bake ... sometimes even from scratch!!

Now, ask me about the doughnuts in the morning - that's another story!! Horrible, horrible stale things ... and the hot dog buns as well ...

I thought I was the only one who thought the desserts are great. I never eat anything "custardy" because I can't stand the texture, so I don't eat any of the moussey desserts. I still serve their flourless chocolate cake at holiday dinners, and people go wild over it!!

As far as the WJ morning pastries, the cinammon swirly things are addictive!!

Archived