Lengthy 3/6 Spirit Review (Not Positive)

BigMattT

We always cruise in March BUT we always choose a cruise that is longer than 7 days to avoid the "spring break" crowd. In fact, just returned tonight from a 9 day and the average age on the cruise was probably 65. Just a suggestion --- but on any cruise line in March you may want to consider this as the problem is not just with NCL but with most main stream cruise lines.

Matthew,

I have only taken two cruises in my life (the first at age 21 with my parents), so I certainly don't have the experience that you and most others do. I have been following your post from the beginning and to be honest it makes me concerned and truly disappointed for you and your fellow passengers.

The problems that you all encountered are so completely different from my very few experiences, and I have been thinking that I would have been shocked and angry as well with the over-serving of guests and the lack of services and information on the final day, which had nothing to do with the tragic cause of the delay. I am always a glass MORE than half-full person, but this sounds like more than I would have been able to cheerfully handle!

As you have taken several other cruises over spring break and have not seen the level of drunkenness and related unpleasantness by fellow passengers - why would you expect it? And for the price that we all pay to cruise (which is an expensive style of vacation even on NCL) you shouldn't have to expect it.

My family of 4 is taking the Spirit in July and our balcony plus inside cabin for the kids will cost us over $4,000 - before gratuities, ship board expenses, port expenses, airfare, hotels and land meals. In this economy and world, a 9 day vacation expense in the realm of $7000 should be incredible! And aren't we all so fortunate to be able to afford it :)

I'm so sorry for your disappointing experience. Although cruising to so many wonderful places is hard to achieve by independent land travel, if anything like your experience happened to my family, I'd be back to my years of driving on land vacations as at least then I would be in control of my own experience! Fingers crossed for our trip in July ;)

AMEN, RediMed. I was on the same trip!!

I have posted here some and have been "flamed", so only post if feel necessary. Obviously not the place to post a true, realistic picture of your cruise experience if it was not all positive as was the 3/6-3/13 Spirit Cruise. The medical emergency was not a problem for me, they made the right call. It was how they handled other events after the medical evacuation took place and the behavior that WAS tolerated from the spring breakers by the ship and HAD to tolerated by other passengers.

Matthew,

I have only taken two cruises in my life (the first at age 21 with my parents), so I certainly don't have the experience that you and most others do. I have been following your post from the beginning and to be honest it makes me concerned and truly disappointed for you and your fellow passengers.

The problems that you all encountered are so completely different from my very few experiences, and I have been thinking that I would have been shocked and angry as well with the over-serving of guests and the lack of services and information on the final day, which had nothing to do with the tragic cause of the delay. I am always a glass MORE than half-full person, but this sounds like more than I would have been able to cheerfully handle!

As you have taken several other cruises over spring break and have not seen the level of drunkenness and related unpleasantness by fellow passengers - why would you expect it? And for the price that we all pay to cruise (which is an expensive style of vacation even on NCL) you shouldn't have to expect it.

My family of 4 is taking the Spirit in July and our balcony plus inside cabin for the kids will cost us over $4,000 - before gratuities, ship board expenses, port expenses, airfare, hotels and land meals. In this economy and world, a 9 day vacation expense in the realm of $7000 should be incredible! And aren't we all so fortunate to be able to afford it :)

I'm so sorry for your disappointing experience. Although cruising to so many wonderful places is hard to achieve by independent land travel, if anything like your experience happened to my family, I'd be back to my years of driving on land vacations as at least then I would be in control of my own experience! Fingers crossed for our trip in July ;)

I just have to but in here, and this will be my last comment on the subject as it has been pretty much run into the ground, but 1-yes, Matthew seems to have cruised over srping break in the past without the drunkiness, but he is an exception. Every year we read the very same thing on all boards: the out of control college crowd the first couple of weeks in March and 2-maybe to you cruising is an expensive vacation. Actually cruising is by far the best value for your $$ there is in todays travel world. That is why it has become a family and yes, a college kids most popular vacation.

Nita

You know I will not address any other issue but the spring breakers...

I don;t care what cruiseline you book, they are on them all...maybe HAL is the exception, I really don;t know..

People come back every year complaining about them...I wonder why you book cruises at that time of year...I certainly would not..

Well, sometimes that is the only time for a lot of people to go. I'm going to college for my second career. I'm in my 30's and work at my current job constantly. I would prefer to not be on the ship with a bunch of 21 year old "Spring Breakers" however my week of spring break is the ONLY time for me to take time off work where I can actually relax and not do homework or worry about missing classes/ criteria. Also, sometimes people have to go on vacation when their children are on Spring Break.

I will add my thoughts to clear up some popular misconceptions about "spring breakers".

Many of the rowdy drunken cruisers are NOT college students, but are young adults who cruise this time of year because of the partying and fun.

I have met several on cruises this time of year who are serious about their future and well behaved. It seems like the rowdy group gives a bad name to all, and that is not correct.

maybe to you cruising is an expensive vacation. Actually cruising is by far the best value for your $$ there is in todays travel world. That is why it has become a family and yes, a college kids most popular vacation.

Nita

Wow, yes $7000 is quite a bit of money to me. Lucky you that it's not.

I may be a newbie cruiser, but a newbie traveler I am not Nita! For 20 years I have taken my family on lovely vacations for a fraction of the price - or for a similar price but for 14 plus days instead of 9.

We have been to the biggest most expensive cities on either coast, stayed in some of the best hotels and eaten at wonderful restaurants. We have taken our kids to most of the National Parks in the US, staying in either beautiful National Park Lodges or renting luxurious houses on VRBO.

Cruising is absolutely NOT the best value for your money. Tent camping is. You can go anywhere, see and do everything. Cook your own dinner or clean up and eat at an expensive restaurant. And I know because I've done that too.

And my daughter who is a sophomore in college on a 15,000 student campus does not know ANYONE who took a cruise over spring break. Actually, the most popular trip was to do volunteer work in disadvantaged areas.

Geez.

"A friend cut his foot very badly in a hot tub on glass (had to get stitches). Who breaks a glass in a hot tub and doesn't tell anyone? " (quote from Rozee)

Experience shows that lots of people wouldn't. There is a sense of 'entitlement' which is running rampant in our country (for one) that results in misery for the unwary. :(

Wow, yes $7000 is quite a bit of money to me. Lucky you that it's not.

I may be a newbie cruiser, but a newbie traveler I am not Nita! For 20 years I have taken my family on lovely vacations for a fraction of the price - or for a similar price but for 14 plus days instead of 9.

We have been to the biggest most expensive cities on either coast, stayed in some of the best hotels and eaten at wonderful restaurants. We have taken our kids to most of the National Parks in the US, staying in either beautiful National Park Lodges or renting luxurious houses on VRBO.

Cruising is absolutely NOT the best value for your money. Tent camping is. You can go anywhere, see and do everything. Cook your own dinner or clean up and eat at an expensive restaurant. And I know because I've done that too.

And my daughter who is a sophomore in college on a 15,000 student campus does not know ANYONE who took a cruise over spring break. Actually, the most popular trip was to do volunteer work in disadvantaged areas.

Geez.

Bless you for your post :).

and some can see the other side of the coin. stuff happens, of course it would have been a complete pain to experience what happened that last day, but I also understand how it must have been for the crew. Do you think they enjoyed hearing a bunch of screaming passengers...

Nita

Now THAT is a nightmare and so very embarrassing to witness. :eek:

I just have to but in here, and this will be my last comment on the subject as it has been pretty much run into the ground, but 1-yes, Matthew seems to have cruised over srping break in the past without the drunkiness, but he is an exception. Every year we read the very same thing on all boards: the out of control college crowd the first couple of weeks in March and 2-maybe to you cruising is an expensive vacation. Actually cruising is by far the best value for your $$ there is in todays travel world. That is why it has become a family and yes, a college kids most popular vacation.

Nita

I also must disagree with you. Spending $7,000.00 in 9 days for a cruise vacation IS NOT the best value for your money in todays travel world. And for that value on the Spirit 2 of the 4 passengers get to sleep in an inside cabin without windows.

I've camped in a beautiful travel trailer in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina for two full weeks. We are a family of 5 including three children. We were oceanfront. There were 2 outdoor pools, one indoor pool, numerous hot tubs, a lazy river, music nightly, golf, etc. Everyone had the best vacation ever. At the campground, we ate grilled lobster, steamed shellfish and steaks in addition to the burgers and hot dogs. We also ate out 3-4 nights for dinner and while on the road (mostly lunchtime). And we got to visit both Carolinas at our leisure, sightseeing along the way in many other great areas of the country. The tips left at restaurants were 15% (more or less) depending on the service. We weren't forced to leave $60.00 per day as would have been the case on a cruise.

The cost for gasoline, tolls, the campground and food was nowhere near $7,000.00......not even close to half of that amount. And we vacationed with 5 of us for 14 full days, not 4 persons for just 9 days.

We have also done many land based vacations such as Vegas (hotel, buffets, sightseeing), Cape May, NJ (hotel, beach, etc.), Washington, D.C., and a few National Parks (just to give you some examples). We're just not campers. And we've never spent thousands and thousands of dollars for those types of vacations either. Our most expensive land vacation was to Bermuda, and yet, that wasn't close to $7,000. either.

A cruise vacation is not value to me. It's an expensive luxury vacation that we enjoy, but only occassionally. And I think that's true for most middle classed people that I know.

Most people, including myself, do not believe that spending $7,000. for a 9 day vacation is the best value for your money.

And this is worth repeating. A family of five must spend $60.00 per day just for tips? Where do you see the value in that?

Two observations after reading this thread........

One...Whomever scheduled the Bears Cruise on a spring break week must be brain dead!

Two...Experienced cruisers who do not want to be around hard drinking college kids do not cruise during spring break weekends.

As for the ship being late. That can happen for any number of reasons. Best advice..."Be prepared"

As for the ship being late. That can happen for any number of reasons. Best advice..."Be prepared"
Uh, I was on that ship too. The only people that where not prepared was the crew.

If my group had accurate information, we could have re-booked our flights. We did not re-book becase as per the infomaion available, we would have plenty of time (we had given our selves a 10 hour window. It wasn't enough.)

I hope we hear directly from NCL concerning this matter. There have been issues with other sailings and it always came down to the passengers not being informed. From what I am reading, the disembarkation was the "straw that broke the camel's back". It would interesting to learn the facts about the delayed leaving of the ports. I never heard in all these years of a ship waiting for people who come back late to the ports. . .

I'm sure there where probably some screaming passengers, though I wasn't one, nor did I hear any. I understand that the front line is sometimes uninformed, and situations are out of their hands.

So many are missing the point. If the captain and crew had informed people of what was going on in a timely maner, there would have been less unhappy customers. And now, at the end of the cruise, I am hoping to be reimbursed for missed flights etal (as I was told I could). Though it's starting to look like they are going to blame the med evac for everything, and I may not get reimbursed.

The 2 worst cruises I have been on have not been because of the Ship, the crew or the corporate entity that owns the ship, but because of the other passengers that were on the ship. One of these cruises was on NCL, and the other was on Princess. Had I been on the cruise the OP was on, I would be able to say that the 3 worst cruises I had been on were caused by the other passengers. There are many posters here who have attacked or flamed other posters because of their opinions, and I hope I never have the pleasure of sailing with some of them. The lack of civility is down right sad.....

As for the comment on the overall clientel of NCL being of an inferior class to the other lines, I guess that poster has not been on most of the NCL cruises I've been on, because on the vast majority of the NCL cruises I was on, the passengers were far and above the class of passengers that happened to be on the Princess Cruise I was on. I don't think that the Princess Cruise I was on was representative of all Princess Cruises, and given the right itinerary, ship, price, and schedule would certainly try another Princess Cruise. Just as I did not write off NCL after my unpleasant experience on the Norwegian Sea.

To clarify things, I was on the Norwegian Dawn's Feburary 11, 2011 nine day Southern Caribbean Cruise that didn't make it to the Southern Caribbean. I had a great time on the trip, a little disappointed because of the changes, but overall had a great time. It was no where close to as bad as either of what I rank as the two worst cruises that I have experienced.

Wow! To the OP, I'm sorry to hear about the issues you had with the Spring Breakers. We are also in a situation where it's the only time we can take a vaction during the winter, and it can be a little nerve wracking.

We were nervous about this kind of thing happening on our Sky cruise this past week and were pleasantly surprised that nothing crazy happened. At least nothing we knew about. The spring breakers seemed to be able to handle themselves and we noticed an increased security presence in a lot of the public areas while activities were going on. It sounds like the Spirit management dropped the ball on your sailing. I hope your next vacation is a more relaxing one!

I also must disagree with you. Spending $7,000.00 in 9 days for a cruise vacation IS NOT the best value for your money in todays travel world. And for that value on the Spirit 2 of the 4 passengers get to sleep in an inside cabin without windows.

I've camped in a beautiful travel trailer in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina for two full weeks. We are a family of 5 including three children. We were oceanfront. There were 2 outdoor pools, one indoor pool, numerous hot tubs, a lazy river, music nightly, golf, etc. Everyone had the best vacation ever. At the campground, we ate grilled lobster, steamed shellfish and steaks in addition to the burgers and hot dogs. We also ate out 3-4 nights for dinner and while on the road (mostly lunchtime). And we got to visit both Carolinas at our leisure, sightseeing along the way in many other great areas of the country. The tips left at restaurants were 15% (more or less) depending on the service. We weren't forced to leave $60.00 per day as would have been the case on a cruise.

The cost for gasoline, tolls, the campground and food was nowhere near $7,000.00......not even close to half of that amount. And we vacationed with 5 of us for 14 full days, not 4 persons for just 9 days.

We have also done many land based vacations such as Vegas (hotel, buffets, sightseeing), Cape May, NJ (hotel, beach, etc.), Washington, D.C., and a few National Parks (just to give you some examples). We're just not campers. And we've never spent thousands and thousands of dollars for those types of vacations either. Our most expensive land vacation was to Bermuda, and yet, that wasn't close to $7,000. either.

A cruise vacation is not value to me. It's an expensive luxury vacation that we enjoy, but only occassionally. And I think that's true for most middle classed people that I know.

Most people, including myself, do not believe that spending $7,000. for a 9 day vacation is the best value for your money.

And this is worth repeating. A family of five must spend $60.00 per day just for tips? Where do you see the value in that?

Think about what you are saying, I am talking similar vacations, not comparing what you are talking about. If you did Bermuda for 9 days and spent less than $7000 during high season I would not want to think about where you stayed etc. Food alone, in most mid priced restaurants for a family of 4 will run about $200 a day including tips. I am not talking about Micky D's for lunch, I am talking mid priced like say, Chilies. Add to that a hotel, 2 rooms, at a min of $100 per room. $200 a day, plus rental car, sight seeing, and misc. 9 days will run that much easily. Been there too many times and I have not even included any liqouor or nightly entertainment. I find it hard to beleive you have done Vegas including shows and decent meals for a family of 4 and spent much less than $10,000 for 9 days. Of couse if you didn't go to a single show and didn't eat at a decent restaurant maybe. Remember all the is included in a cruise. We are not talking cheap dinners without shows and top of the line service here, plus the change to see several places in 9 days. Do you have any idea how much a 9 day trip, visiting 3 to 6 islands would cost if you were not cruising? Of course you don't. A trip to Vegas or DC isn't even remotely the same. Have you priced places like Atlantis in the Bahamas? We also have to add, we are talking about high season, which is 3 time higher than low season. If you cruise low season a balcony cabin and an inside cabin for 4 would run closer to $2500 not $4000.

Nita

If you cruise low season a balcony cabin and an inside cabin for 4 would run closer to $2500 not $4000.

Nita

Agreed. My vacation was about $2500 just like you said.

Oh, wait... am I supposed to count the $1500 of airfare change fees and overnight accommodations for missing our flights or NOT... because if I include them, my vacation DID cost $4000... so then it WASN'T such a good value anymore.

Maybe I'll ask NCL and get a very prompt, well-planned, accurate response.

Actually cruising is by far the best value for your $$ there is in todays travel world. That is why it has become a family and yes, a college kids most popular vacation.

Nita

I was not comparing the costs of cruising to camping. I was commenting on your claim that it is the best value for the money. But that depends on what you value.

And I brought up college breaks in conjunction with your post, as you had said that it has become a college kids most popular vacation. That is not my experience as a mother of a college age child.

I have been to many places in the US and Europe during high and shoulder seasons staying in beautiful hotels and dining in wonderful restaurants which do not include fast food. In my experience, wonderful deals based on frequent traveler programs, city cards, dining and other discounts are far easier to find for land based vacations, which help me keep the costs down for our family. When renting our most recent multi-million dollar house last summer on Orcas Island we paid $5000 for nine of us for a week. We all had gorgeous views out of our bedroom windows and a 6,000 sq. foot waterfront home and guest cottage with 8 exquisite acres of grounds during high season. It was stunning. Now that to me was a good value!

I'll keep my comments to myself from now on and won't bother anyone with what I thought were supportive words to the OP.

I am teacher and have been on two Spring Break cruises. One was the Pearl and the other was the Celebrity Millennium and there was little to no rowdiness/drunken behavior. When booking my Spring Break cruises I am always worried about this.

I think some cruises are more likely to have that kind of craziness. A few ways to avoid this atmosphere are taking a longer cruise, taking a cruise out of Puerto Rico, avoiding cruises that are being offered with crazy discounts. Does this sound right?

Really sorry that you experienced this. I would feel the same way you did and I would have handled it similarly. Send a letter to NCL and let them know how disappointed you were. If they want to entice you to give them another chance, then that'll be up to you.

-aj

Agreed. My vacation was about $2500 just like you said.

Oh, wait... am I supposed to count the $1500 of airfare change fees and overnight accommodations for missing our flights or NOT... because if I include them, my vacation DID cost $4000... so then it WASN'T such a good value anymore.

Maybe I'll ask NCL and get a very prompt, well-planned, accurate response.

I don't think the OP is talking about the extra airfare or the extra night one way or the other and you can't compare the delay getting back to port as a normal fee. I think the discussing in based on similar types of vacations and normal situations. I could add to the cost of our last cruise a couple of additional nights lodging as well. Our son was suddenly called out of town on business, we had planned on leaving a couple of days early to see him and driving. By the time we learned he would not be around it was too late to get decent air so we left as scheduled and spent the 2 nights on the road with extra hotel and food charges, but I don't consider that as part of the cost when comparing prices. We are talking the basic costs of one vacation versus another.

Nita

I don't think the OP is talking about the extra airfare or the extra night one way or the other and you can't compare the delay getting back to port as a normal fee... Nita

You’re right.

The OP isn’t complaining about the extra airfare and hotel accommodations that they bore because of the lack of information from the Captain and Crew.

They are just bringing up some good points that turned a good cruise very bad. The OP is not even complaining about the extra money.

The extra money is not the point. Though It did cost my Wife and I an additional $1000 to get home and made us a day late. WE DID PLAN for this and insurance should cover it. But, again, that’s not the point. The point is. – Why couldn’t the crew of the Spirit plan for it and make it a little easier on the passengers? (and themselves).

Why did it take the Spirit 32 hours to travel 368 nm?

Why where we not updated as the ETA moved farther and farther away?

This needs to be brought to NCL’s attention. Well, no. I’m sure that NCL knows why the Spirit could not make a reasonable ETA. I don’t believe it was just because of the Med Evac. As a passenger I would like to know what caused us to be so late.

There are nothing but rumors(lots of 'em), and I don't want to spread any more. I'd like some facts.

You’re right.

The OP isn’t complaining about the extra airfare and hotel accommodations that they bore because of the lack of information from the Captain and Crew.

They are just bringing up some good points that turned a good cruise very bad. The OP is not even complaining about the extra money.

The extra money is not the point. Though It did cost my Wife and I an additional $1000 to get home and made us a day late. WE DID PLAN for this and insurance should cover it. But, again, that’s not the point. The point is. – Why couldn’t the crew of the Spirit plan for it and make it a little easier on the passengers? (and themselves).

Why did it take the Spirit 32 hours to travel 368 nm?

Why where we not updated as the ETA moved farther and farther away?

This needs to be brought to NCL’s attention. Well, no. I’m sure that NCL knows why the Spirit could not make a reasonable ETA. I don’t believe it was just because of the Med Evac. As a passenger I would like to know what caused us to be so late.

There are nothing but rumors(lots of 'em), and I don't want to spread any more. I'd like some facts.

Well of course you would like some facts. Who wouldn't, right!?

The trouble is that sometimes the facts are not what we might want them to be.

Just some advice since you are a relatively new poster here. The type of facts that you are seeking would have to come from officials. Officials at the Port of New Orleans, Officials at Norwegian Cruise Lines, and the Officials that control and schedule the traffic flow on the Mississippi River.

I'm sorry to say that these people are not going to be monitoring an Internet Chat Board just in case somebody needs facts from them. All you are going to find here are either people who were on the cruise with you....and thus, know what you know, and people who weren't on the cruise with you...who know even less than you do.

Perhaps if it is facts that you seek, you might have better luck taking it up with the appropriate officials. We are all just here to chat about cruising...nobody gave any of us a set of facts that weren't provided to you.

I'm curious as to why spring break is the only time the OP's schedule allows for a cruise. What sort of job only gives you Spring Break off?

Anyway, everyone knows that Spring Break equals drunk college kids. The OP actually had the gall to complain about people drinking too much! I say mind your own business. If you don't like the people at the bar, go to another bar.;)

When you husband is a college professor that is the only winter break we can get (post Christmas Holidays). With that being said we were on the Jewel (out of NYC) for March 6th Spring break cruise. All in all our college kids were quite well behaved and polite.(Many from Penn State) Of course we went to bed around midnight so I am not sure what happened after that but we never encounted a problem. I don't know if our cruise had the $250 alcohol package. Quite frankly I think you are asking for trouble with that one.

There will be complaints forthcoming from passengers just getting off the 3/13 Spirit sailing, including from myself. We received calls from NCL on both 3/12 and 3/13 notifying us that our ship was late and that we should plan to arrive at the port at 5pm for embarkation. We arrived at the parking garage around noon and decided to get our bags checked and try to park - there were about 80 spots in the garage at that point in time so we thought we would just mess around in the Riverwalk area for the afternoon. When we exited the parking garage elevators, we were met by NCL personnel and informed that not only was the ship late due to the med evac, they had an engine problem and might not make it to Roatan. We were offered the chance to cancel our cruise for a full refund, or if we stayed on and they did not make it to Roatan, we would receive $150/cabin credit. In addition, we were given a box lunch. Not all of the passengers received this information, or the box lunch for that matter - the last food we would see from NCL until about 11pm.

We sat in the Riverwalk food court and watched the Spirit arrive I believe shortly before 5pm so we knew trying to get on at 5pm was not going to be happening so took our time walking down to the port. At 6pm the Riverwalk closed and shortly thereafter they shut the gates and forced everyone into the terminal area. We decided to go ahead and get in line and were not too far from the doors where entry would occur. It started getting unbearable around 7-8pm when late comers started showing up and ignored the fact that there was a VERY long line. I have never seen so many adults cut in line and honestly think that it was the right thing to do. It was a very sad testament to the character of some people - and they all know who they are. I approached a baggage worker and an NCL worker about the situation and they both basically threw their hands up - no planning and quite honestly they didn't care since they had all been working since early in the morning themselves.

I think they opened the door around 8pm and let people in about 20 at a time. It was pretty miserable - no food, no drink, no apologies, and actually, the NCL folks were just as crabby as the passengers. We finally boarded the boat around 10:30-11pm, our friends who were not Latitudes members who were in line with us did not get on until 11:30pm. So we basically lost our whole Sunday on the boat which was a disappointment. We didn't arrive at Costa Maya until very late in the afternoon on Tuesday - I believe that most of the excursions were cancelled.

None of my party of 12 ever heard a formal announcement that the engine was fixed or what the status of going to Roatan was. I inquired at the Service Desk on Tuesday and was told they were still trying to go to Roatan whether or not the engine was fixed. We did go to Roatan - but no idea if the engine issue was resolved.

The communications from NCL were at best poor. I applaud them for trying to get a hold of the 3/13 passengers on Saturday to let them know that the departure was going to be late but they were off by many, many hours. The Port folks need to plan better and have a line roped off for entry into the building - this would have solved the cutting in line issue and saved a lot of aggravation for some of us. Hindsight is always 20/20....lots of things they should be considering for similar situations in the future.

Archived