2012 Free Hotel?

TERRIER1

Does anyone know how this works? If you use Oceania's air do you come in to the embarkation port the day before sailing and not have to pay the deviation fee? Also, where does it list the hotels? I haven't seen anything yet. No mention of the hotels in the flyer. Thanks.

Does anyone know how this works? If you use Oceania's air do you come in to the embarkation port the day before sailing and not have to pay the deviation fee? Also, where does it list the hotels? I haven't seen anything yet. No mention of the hotels in the flyer. Thanks.

I didn't ask the deviation question this AM when I called, but it would seem that O is using hotels that are listed on their website. In Barcelona, concierge level and above will be at the Grand Marina, all others will be at Hotel Condes. While O will include transfers from the hotels to the port, transfers from the airport to the hotels are NOT included.

Kathleen

On our last trip, the Marina Maiden TA from Barcelona, we went to Barcelona on our own and just happened to also stay at the Condes. We found it to be quite lovely for those who might wonder about it. Good location as well.

I believe, as with Regent, you can get a credit for the "free" hotel. On Regent it is 300 pp - so for $600 I would book my own and get to port by myself. As you know, hotels do not charge per person; cruise lines do. LOL

If it's anywhere near that number, I will take the credit and handle my own hotel arrangements.

I believe, as with Regent, you can get a credit for the "free" hotel. On Regent it is 300 pp - so for $600 I would book my own and get to port by myself. As you know, hotels do not charge per person; cruise lines do. LOL

If it's anywhere near that number, I will take the credit and handle my own hotel arrangements.

The hotel credit for our August 21, 2012 cruise is available with O's air or your air. The value of the air credit, I'm told, is $250 per person, and $500 can get you a great room no matter where you are!! Arlene;)

I was told the credit for the room is $250. I do not think that is per person. I thought the credit is for a double. The air is credit is around $1100.

The hotel credit is per person, so a $250 credit would be $500 per couple. this is because Oceania quotes all their hotel rates per person, not per room.

The air credit for each cruise will likely be different, depending on the departure and arrival ports. The air credit for Riviera Maiden Voyage from Barcelona to Athens is $800 per person.

The hotel credit for suites may be higher. For veranda and ocean view cabins (and presumably for insides) the quoted hotel is the Condes de Barcelona, located about 6 blocks north of Plaza Catalonia, in the modernist district. The hotel I think will be used for suites is the Hotel 1898, which is located about 2 blocks south of Plaza Catalonia, right on Las Ramblas. The 1898 is a more expensive hotel, with rates in the 250 Euro range, so I'm willing to bet the credit would be a little higher, also.

The air credit should remain the same regardless of the cabin category.

For now, we booked an ocean view at $4199 per person, less $1050 per person for the air and hotel credit, and we'll explore our options. We've stayed at the Regencia Colon before and found it adequate at about 100 Euros per night per room, well below the $500 credit. The biggest problem with not taking O's air, or arriving more than one day early, is that the $200 deviation fee applies. On the other hand, we'd like to stay in Athens for a couple of days after the cruise, so if we use O's air the deviation fee would apply anyway. Maybe I can hustle up some miles...

Can you hear the screeches now if O offered a free hotel the day before departure BUT charged a deviation to get you there if you are using their airfare??!!

My TA has informed me that you do get a credit for NOT using their free hotel just as you get a credit if you don't use the free air.

We normally do our own air, although that is not a hard and fast rule. But I would be happy to use their hotel the day before!

I was wondering how the pre-cruise day works if you are on a B2B but if you can have a credit, that's one way. And if the ship overnights in the final port, then it's not hard to work it out. I suppose you could move to a hotel for that first night but for me that wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Can you hear the screeches now if O offered a free hotel the day before departure BUT charged a deviation to get you there if you are using their airfare??!!

My TA has informed me that you do get a credit for NOT using their free hotel just as you get a credit if you don't use the free air.

We normally do our own air, although that is not a hard and fast rule. But I would be happy to use their hotel the day before!

I was wondering how the pre-cruise day works if you are on a B2B but if you can have a credit, that's one way. And if the ship overnights in the final port, then it's not hard to work it out. I suppose you could move to a hotel for that first night but for me that wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Get back to your TA...There is a credit for non-use hotel.

We booked a Riviera 2012 sailing. We accepted Oceania air, at least for now, but declined their hotel in Barcelona. Our hotel credit is $250 pp. There are several wonderful properties there for substantially less than $500/nite.

Get back to your TA...There is a credit for non-use hotel.

Orchestrapal (I'm an orchestrapal too, my father was a professional violist) --

I think you misread what I wrote. When I saw your post I thought I had missed a typo, but I did say my TA told me there is a credit if you don't use the hotel!

I phrased it awkwardly perhaps ...

But more recent posts about taking the $250 and booking your own for less is well taken as well.

Orchestrapal (I'm an orchestrapal too, my father was a professional violist) --

I think you misread what I wrote. When I saw your post I thought I had missed a typo, but I did say my TA told me there is a credit if you don't use the hotel!

I phrased it awkwardly perhaps ...

But more recent posts about taking the $250 and booking your own for less is well taken as well.

Maura, so sorry. So glad to hear from another classical music lover. I bet we know all the same violist jokes.:D

The value of the "free hotel and transfer" may vary depending on the embarkation port.

We just booked 7/24/12 British Isles Legends - London to Paris. The hotel we were given is the Royal Garden Hotel in Kensington. I just priced their cheapest room for a Monday in July 2011 - $423 U.S. It looks to be a 5 star hotel and pretty nice. Of course, we could probably find a comparable hotel for a bit less but if you add in the value of the transfer from London to Dover [much farther and more costly than, say, Barcelona] and the convenience of having your bags taken from the hotel and showing up on the ship, it may not be a bad deal for $500.

Maura, so sorry. So glad to hear from another classical music lover. I bet we know all the same violist jokes.:D

That we do! I discovered the webpage when I first arrived online!

But of course,violists are NOT to be subjects of jokes. Violinists, yes!

Mura

For those of you embarking in Barcelona, take a look at the Hotel Jazz, where we spent three nights post-cruise last May. Great location between Universitat and Plaza Catalunya, good breakfast, nice small pool on top, and the largest and most modern hotel room I have stayed at in southern Europe.

We are booked on the maiden voyage of the Riviera. Several thoughts have popped up here on this thread. I am just trying to make sure I have this straight. One can opt out of the free air and get a credit. One can also opt out of the "free" hotel. But, if one opts out of the hotel but takes the air, they will come in the day of the cruise. One also does not need the Oceania transfers at $148 per person. Can one do this for less especially if there is another couple with to share a taxi? Right now, we have the air and hotel included. We were told we had until 120 days before the cruise to cancel the air and hotel. Correct? We also have to pay $199 per person to fly from our home airport as it is not a gateway one. Also, if we wish to deviate at the beginning and at the end we must pay $100 plus any additional fees per person and this is twice if we do both pre and post cruise.

I just want my thinking verified. I also will need to consider that Easter next year is one week before the cruise. That may impact flights. I don't know if the increased fees work on international flights as they do on domestic.

Just trying to cover all the bases so there are no surprises.

Pearl

We are booked on the maiden voyage of the Riviera. Several thoughts have popped up here on this thread. I am just trying to make sure I have this straight. One can opt out of the free air and get a credit. One can also opt out of the "free" hotel. But, if one opts out of the hotel but takes the air, they will come in the day of the cruise. One also does not need the Oceania transfers at $148 per person.

Pearl

short version

You can opt out of the air, hotel & transfers as you please

As I understand it you get a credit for the air & hotel if you opt out

If you want to fly in early or stay longer and take O air package you pay $100 pp deviation fee (once) and any upcharge (if you accept the flights offered)

Check what the credit is & check what the flights will cost if you DIY then make your choice

Depending on the port... taxis are cheaper than O transfers

Archived