Lobster?

scanner55

We're taking our 1st cruise in May, on Sapphire, to Alaska. My husband says all he cares about is eating lobster. Please tell me they have lobster at least one night!

They do. It is small tail but they have it. Better odds at the specialty restaurants.

I love lobster too. On our 10 day cruise I found it 3 times:

On the second Formal night, at the Crown Grill (specialty dining room $25 pp surcharge), and at Chef's table (special event 75.00 pp)

Interestingly the best were the smaller ones they served at the MDR.

Because you are on a ship and the food is all loaded from the home port, its all frozen, so its not great lobster for those of us who get Maine or Nova Scotia fresh off the docks!

We've kinda' given up on the lobster tails. Although you can request extra lobster, it's just not worth it. There is just no consistency; once in a while you get one that is not overcooked and pasty. Being from New England, we know what good lobster is and Princess just doesn't serve good lobster in the MDRs.

You'd be much better off leaving your formal wear at home and going out for a nice lobster dinner sometime. Lobster in any shoreside restaurant has got to be a lot better than what they serve onboard.

Lew

Thanks! We're used to good,fresh seafood too, just a different kind ... Gulf of Mexico.I'm sure we can find some good lobster in port!Personally, I like our "mini" version; otherwise known as crawfish ;)

They have lobster on the second formal night. Also, the first night go to seafood buffet not main dining room as they have some good seafood there. We are from the south so any lobster is good. You can ask for seconds as they are small. We take it where we can get it since we live in the south. Guess the people up east wouldnt know good BBQ .

They do. It is small tail but they have it. Better odds at the specialty restaurants.

We just returned from our cruise and ate at Sabatini's one night and Lobster is on the menu. They actually bring you 2 tails! The whole dining experience at Sabtini's was well worth the $20 extra! Don't eat all day, they really fill you up!

Hi All

A fisherman in England this week caught a lobster it was over three feet long and 9 pound in weight, its age is 50 plus years,

well what did it taste like we will never know, the fisherman seeing its age

gave it to a local aquarium to live out the rest of its life in safety,

yours Shogun

Ok, we hate to break the bad news but "lobster" on Princess (and all mass market cruise lines) is a pretty sad presentation of usually too small overcooked so-called lobster tails. If you want real lobster then its time to head to a very good seafood restaurant or New England. That being said, we were recently in an excellent (and well known) steakhouse in the Chicago area and they brought out an uncooked lobster tail (for show) that was actually larger then most whole lobsters. One of these things would have been used by Princess to feed at least twenty people). On the other hand, this lobster cost $95 (ala carte)!

Hank

We just came back from 14 days Hawaii cruise and lobsters & huge prawn were served on our third fomal night. I had two servings because they were so good. I think you can eat as many as you like :)

There will be lobster likley on the second formal night. If he loves them that much a second or third can be ordered. I think my boys each had two. More so because they are so small than that they are good.

IMHO they are very medicore as to taste and texture.

We're taking our 1st cruise in May, on Sapphire, to Alaska. My husband says all he cares about is eating lobster. Please tell me they have lobster at least one night!

Boy, I must have missed that ship, pray tell what ship and line did you find those on? Seabourn?

For really good lobster you need to take a New England/Canada cruise. In Alaska you will get good salmon, halibut, and crab legs if you are lucky.

I should have specified you could find these when ashore on these cruises. On a New England/Canada cruise you could have your fill of the best for lunch every day while on land, not just lobster, clams too. You aways get the best fresh local food ashore.

I don't enjoy the lobster tails they serve on the second formal night. I'm from Newfoundland and we used to get lobster a couple times a year. The lobster they serve can't even compare to that. The claws aren't too bad and they had them in the buffet on two nights. The first night and the second formal night. The first night I had them at the buffet that closes at 11:00, they were cold. The second formal night they had them at the buffet that was open after 11:00, they were warm this time. If I had known before hand I would have eaten less at supper and had a late night snack of lobster claws!

We're taking our 1st cruise in May, on Sapphire, to Alaska. My husband says all he cares about is eating lobster.

If that's all he cares about, it's gonna be a really expensive meal.

Just had a thought that I will finally get great lobster on our upcoming HA cruise. We have a port day on Martha's Vineyard :) And yes, we agree that even Red Lobster has better lobster then we find on most cruise ships.

Hank

I guess I take living in New England for granted when it comes to having lobster and even a great lobster roll sandwich available for lunch, preferably from Kelly's. :cool:

Cruise line lobsters in main dining rooms are frozen lobsters. For $34 upcharge, I would hope that they are fresh at the Crown Grill.

Hank, have a great time at Martha's Vineyard (I don't even think we have Red Lobsters in New England). I know NOTHING is cheap there. We may take the ferry for the day out there as a day trip.

For us, lobster is like cruising. Some are great, some not so great, but almost all are better than no lobster. Including Red Lobster. On a Carnival cruise, we once saw a little lady eat 4 in the MDR. Order all you want! Best cruise ship lobster for us was Ultimate Balcony Dinner on Crown 2006. One of the reasons we are looking forward to our fall cruise is LOBSTER!

Archived