Lobster?

scanner55

We're taking our 1st cruise in May, on Sapphire, to Alaska. My husband says all he cares about is eating lobster. Please tell me they have lobster at least one night!

We were on the Ruby in January and we did the Ultimate Balcony Dining and we ordered Surf and Turf, this was the best Lobster I have ever had! It had wonderful flavor and I will for sure do it again on the next cruise!

Totally worth the $50 per person for the food and experience.

P2020502.jpg.b5660af45610c5685847bf9e8e88de46.jpg

We were on the Ruby in January and we did the Ultimate Balcony Dining and we ordered Surf and Turf, this was the best Lobster I have ever had! It had wonderful flavor and I will for sure do it again on the next cruise!

That looks like what we had in Honolulu for our UBD which we really enjoyed. For $50 more than the Crown Grill we enjoyed the cocktails, champagne, photo & roses...all in a great location on our balcony & with great service. :D

I guess I take living in New England for granted when it comes to having lobster and even a great lobster roll sandwich available for lunch, preferably from Kelly's. :cool:.
Yup. Or going up to Woodmans on a hot summer night. :) My business partner had a lobster pot in Marblehead harbor and often shared. Yum.

We're sailing from Quebec to FLL in October & have already seen the sights on a previous cruise. We plan to go into town to have lobster for lunch...any suggestions on what to eat & where?
No Name. :) That's the name of the restaurant on the fish pier near the World Trade Center, a long walk or short cab ride from the Black Falcon Terminal. No frills, seating is family style, the lobster is delicious. You don't need to go to Anthony's Pier 4 or anywhere else unless you want popovers and pay a lot more. -- Opps. The No Name is in Boston. Didn't see the Bar Harbor. It's been too long since I've been there to name a restaurant.

We are sailing to Alaska in late August and hope to get to do the UBD to celebrate my birthday. I am not a huge 'turf' eater... do you know if it's possible to get another lobster tail in place of the steak?

Yup. Or going up to Woodmans on a hot summer night. :) My business partner had a lobster pot in Marblehead harbor and often shared. Yum.

No Name. :) That's the name of the restaurant on the fish pier near the World Trade Center, a long walk or short cab ride from the Black Falcon Terminal. No frills, seating is family style, the lobster is delicious. You don't need to go to Anthony's Pier 4 or anywhere else unless you want popovers and pay a lot more. -- Opps. The No Name is in Boston. Didn't see the Bar Harbor. It's been too long since I've been there to name a restaurant.

Good to know & hopefully we'll get our fill of great lobster throughout NE. :D

The Navy nearly ruined my taste for lobster which we would get the day before our aircraft carrier returned to port after weeks at sea. The mess cooks (appropriately named for what they could do to good food) prepared it about everyway possible but it still meant stomach problems. :eek:

Thanks for your Boston recommendation & going on my memory of the piers location, it doesn't seem too far away. We may also look for some in Newport which we did the last time at the Black Pearl. The last cruise to Boston we walked the Freedom Trail to the Old North Church & had some clam chowder at the Faneuil Hall Marketplace before taking the ship's bus back. Not sure what we'll do this time...maybe just get something to eat.

Thanks again...I always appreciate your very informative posts! :D

We are sailing to Alaska in late August and hope to get to do the UBD to celebrate my birthday. I am not a huge 'turf' eater... do you know if it's possible to get another lobster tail in place of the steak?

My wife had lobster only so she got 2 of them. They say that there's some flexibility with the UBD menu but since it was our 1st one we went with the standard menu & it was great. They only do 2 per evening (6:00 & 8:00 on the Golden) but they said it's rare for all time slots to be booked.

DW and I were on an Alaska cruise in May 2008. On "lobster night" two men at our table of eight said "keep 'em coming". I lost count after they inhaled 10 tails. Just ask the waiter, and he/she will bring plenty of lobster for your DH.

I guess I take living in New England for granted when it comes to having lobster and even a great lobster roll sandwich available for lunch, preferably from Kelly's. :cool:

Cruise line lobsters in main dining rooms are frozen lobsters. For $34 upcharge, I would hope that they are fresh at the Crown Grill.

Hank, have a great time at Martha's Vineyard (I don't even think we have Red Lobsters in New England). I know NOTHING is cheap there. We may take the ferry for the day out there as a day trip.

They have now done away with the extra $9.00 charge for lobster in the Crown Grill. We paid the $25.00 pp and I had a large lobster tail with my fillet. Sadly it was a bit tough and lacking in flavour. Not like we get in Nova Scotia from the dock!!! However the smaller tails in the MDR were MUCH better.

Hi All

A fisherman in England this week caught a lobster it was over three feet long and 9 pound in weight, its age is 50 plus years,

well what did it taste like we will never know, the fisherman seeing its age

gave it to a local aquarium to live out the rest of its life in safety,

yours Shogun

Love your story Shogun, it would probably have been as tough as old boots, delighted the lobster survived and given the chance to die a natural death. Where I live beside the Irish sea, the lobsters are the best. :D

Much prefer Maine lobster to the warm water tails they usually serve in the MDR. These are not as good as the Maine lobster we can get at our local Red Lobster
Lobster pulled from anywhere north of Cape Cod is cold water lobster. Doesn't matter whether it's from Boston harbor or Maine. I lived in the Marblehead/Salem area for over 35 years and the water temps rarely got above 60-degrees, even in the summer. I think every 4th of July, when we went to the harbor for the fireworks, we always brought a warm sweater. :) I still order lobsters from the Marblehead Lobster Company, delivered live and kicking. It doesn't get any fresher than that. Maybe it makes me a lobster snob but nothing can beat a fresh steamed lobster with melted salt-free butter.

All this talk of lobster and New England has me homesick! I used to work on the Spirit of Boston, nice harbor cruise with lobster lunch! I loved doing a demonstration on HOW to crack a lobster for our mid westerns guests!

If I had a day in Boston I probably would go to Fanueil Hall and hit Durgin Park. I like the tavern downstairs. I think it is called the Black Horse Tavern. A big plate of full belly clams and I'd be in heaven!

Now how do I get that thought out of my mind! Oh yeah I'm sailing the southern caribbean in four days. Might not get good maine lobster or full belly clams, but I'm sure what I will have is going to be fantastic!!

Being from Maine, on my first cruise I didn't even bother with the lobster b/c I figured it wouldn't compare. On my second cruise on the Ruby I said "oh why not? it's lobster." I thought the shrimp they served with it was much better. Next time I cruise I won't order the lobster again. You just can't compare to fresh Maine lobster! That being said, I guess if you're not from New England then any lobster might taste good.

Lobster pulled from anywhere north of Cape Cod is cold water lobster. Doesn't matter whether it's from Boston harbor or Maine. I lived in the Marblehead/Salem area for over 35 years and the water temps rarely got above 60-degrees, even in the summer. I think every 4th of July, when we went to the harbor for the fireworks, we always brought a warm sweater. :) I still order lobsters from the Marblehead Lobster Company, delivered live and kicking. It doesn't get any fresher than that. Maybe it makes me a lobster snob but nothing can beat a fresh steamed lobster with melted salt-free butter.

My bad...and I agree. In fact, the best lobster I ever tasted was purchased in MA (at Bob Lobster, on the road to Newburyport). Nothing even remotely close to that here in MN.

Be nice :) But I do get the point and, although we are not from New England, we do appreciate that the lobster we have eaten in Maine (and also Mass) was probably the best lobster we have eaten. There are actually about 48 different species of so-called lobster so that stuff they serve on cruise ships is probably legit lobster. However, once you have dined on a properly prepared Maine lobster (Homarus americanus) it is hard to call that stuff they serve on ships real lobster. To us its more like a large langostino and most cruise ships seem to serve it overcooked.

Hank

Are you "sure" that "every" person from Maine / New England knows a good lobster?

I would guess that Orthodox Jews from those areas would be pretty clueless about any kind of lobster. :D

With respect to the Woodman's comment, that's a bit too far away for us. Down in the south suburbs, the Fresh Catch always seems to have the best prices on lobsters, stuffed quahogs, fried clams, and steamers. But nobody tops Kelly's lobster rolls. Worth the drive. I suppose we'll never see lobster rolls on cruise ships though.

best lobster ever is at big daddy's in maine. it's around $29 for all you can eat. we live in calif. but were visiting relatives there. it will be impossible to beat after that. long wait but worth it!!

My wife had lobster only so she got 2 of them. They say that there's some flexibility with the UBD menu but since it was our 1st one we went with the standard menu & it was great. They only do 2 per evening (6:00 & 8:00 on the Golden) but they said it's rare for all time slots to be booked.

Hi: Are you saying they only serve lobsters at traditional dining times and limits are 2 per person, or am I missing something here:confused:

We are on the Island Princess 10-10 and will have Anytime Dining around 7:30..Will we get lobsters?

Thanks in advance for the clarification:)

UBD == Ultimate Balcony Dinner ($50 pp)

Menus for Anytime & Traditional are the same. But lobster is generally only once during the cruise. And one may ask for seconds -- sometimes it is hard for me to eat even the one puny chewy lobster that is served. But then I am not from New England!

Hi: Are you saying they only serve lobsters at traditional dining times and limits are 2 per person,

will have Anytime Dining around 7:30..Will we get lobsters?

:)

When we took our cruise to New England and Canada on the Golden Princess, I was disappointed to find out they'd be serving the same frozen lobster tails that they do on all their cruises. So I took advantage of ordering fresh lobster twice for lunch--in Halifax and in Boston.

In Alaska, my lunch in Haines was a delicious dungeness crab. If you can find a restaurant that serves them, have your husband try one.

The lobster on our Ruby cruise was rather large. it was served on the night AFTER the second formal night. Our excellent waiter even took it out of the shell for us. I thought it was so good, I even took a picture of it...will post this evening.

UBD == Ultimate Balcony Dinner ($50 pp)

Menus for Anytime & Traditional are the same. But lobster is generally only once during the cruise. And one may ask for seconds -- sometimes it is hard for me to eat even the one puny chewy lobster that is served. But then I am not from New England!

Thanks, I know most ships only serve lobster once during the week, near the end of the cruise..Maybe last formal night???? Just wanted to clarify Anytime dining is included. Couldn't quite figure it out. Now I'm all straighted out...;)

Appreciate your response.

Safe sails....:)

Archived