Half Moon Cay and Two Ships

SmokinActuary

Noordam + Maasdam = 3176 passengers

Nieuw Amsterdam + Glory = 5804 passengers

The Carnival ship alone is 524 more than the Maasdam and Noordam combined. :eek:

It's just not something that's ever been done, and with good reason.
Just the bookkeeping for the bars, shops, and excursions would be a huge hassle. And who furnishes the food?

It will be really interesting to see - that will be a lot of people :eek: I hate to make generalizations but I wonder if the pirate bar will be louder if there is a Carnival ship there :confused:

I have enjoyed the island traveling on HAL and also on Carnival. Yes, there is a noticable difference in the environment between the two. Espically in the Pool....

I don't think it could ever happen ... a Carnival Ship and a HAL Ship at HMC at the same time. We once saw a Carnival scheduled for our HMC day, but it got changed about 4 months out. It's just not something that's ever been done, and with good reason.

jtl513 looked ahead and saw that there are 3 more dates where a hal ship and a carnival ship will be at hmc together

hope this sn't going to become a regular practice

jtl513 looked ahead and saw that there are 3 more dates where a hal ship and a carnival ship will be at hmc together

On checking further I see that cruisetimetables.com and the Carnival site disagree with cruisett.com about the Liberty being there on 4/15/12, so that leaves just two.

Lets not jump to any conclusions here. It hasn't happened yet (Carnival and HAL at HMC at the same time), it is against their stated policy, the potential conflicts are at least 6-7 months away, and there is definitely a history of changes made to avoid having a Carnival and HAL ship there at the same time.

The sky is not falling.

OK - here is my prediction. If they make a change either the Carnival goes to another Bahamas and the HAL itinerary stays the same OR the Carnival itinerary stays the same and HAL by passes Half-Moon Cay and has a sea they stops at either Grand Turk or San Juan on the regularly scheduled sea day.

The worst case for me would be stopping at San Juan!:cool::D

OK - here is my prediction. If they make a change either the Carnival goes to another Bahamas and the HAL itinerary stays the same OR the Carnival itinerary stays the same and HAL by passes Half-Moon Cay and has a sea they stops at either Grand Turk or San Juan on the regularly scheduled sea day.

The worst case for me would be stopping at San Juan!:cool::D

Given HAL was the original owner (I know, Carnival owns HAL, but HAL is the original) and developed HMC, I would assume HAL has priority. It seems the common solution done is to flip-flop itineraries. That is, in most cases HMC is either the first, or last stop on the cruise. So, an itinerary get flopped, from having HMC on the first day after sailing from FLL, to be the last day before arriving back at FLL. Or vice versa.

Several years ago I was there on the Zuiderdam and the Amsterdam was in with us and it was not bad at all. But I would think If I was in with the mob scene from Carnival in might be too much.

Zuiderdam + Amsterdam = 3300 passengers

Nieuw Amsterdam + Glory = 5804 passengers

That's 63% more people.

The Glory alone is 3700.

...and HAL by passes Half-Moon Cay and has a sea day

or HAL goes to Nassau, or ... neither ship gets in to HMC because the sea is too choppy for tendering. That happens 25>30% of the time.

Now this has turned into an exercise of how HAL and/or Carnival would revise their itineraries to avoid setting a precedent of a HAL and Carnival Cruise ship of HMC,

I tried to reverse the itineraries in question and assuming cruisett is correct and assuming no other itineraries would change, a simple reverse itinerary would not work for either line.

Reversing the NA itinerary would put it on HMC with two other HAL ships, and reversing the Glory's itinerary would but the Glory on HMC with the Eurodam!

Well I spoke to Carnival and they said the HMC can handle the two ships and each ship will have its own activities (including Children activities) on shore.
:eek: Ridiculous response IMO. There's only one food serving area, one set of bars and shops, one venue for each excursion, one set of cabanas. There's no way they can effectively separate the two ship brands, which carries an entirely different set of problems than two ships of the same brand.

:eek: Ridiculous response IMO. There's only one food serving area, one set of bars and shops, one venue for each excursion, one set of cabanas. There's no way they can effectively separate the two ship brands, which carries an entirely different set of problems than two ships of the same brand.

I came to the conclusion that they don't know what they are going to do just yet and that they were giving me some rote answer.

I guess I will just have to wait an see.

Well I spoke to Carnival and they said the HMC can handle the two ships and each ship will have its own activities (including Children activities) on shore.

So far it sounds like they have no intent to change the itineraries.

sounds as though they have no idea of what is going on

yes -- one of everything -- one children's area -- same areas for excursions

hope we never encounter a situation like this

I saw on a carnival thread (I would like but I haven't the foggiest idea how to do this) that if a Carnival ship and HAL ship were scheduled for HMC at the same time, Carnival substitutes Nassau for the Carnival ship.

I saw on a carnival thread (I would like but I haven't the foggiest idea how to do this) that if a Carnival ship and HAL ship were scheduled for HMC at the same time, Carnival substitutes Nassau for the Carnival ship.

that's what was done a few years ago when carnival made a few stops at hmc

We have been at HMC several times and, more often than not, two ships are there at once but have never seen another cruise line there. Are there any other private islands owned by Holland America Line ? Just wondering if Carnival usually goes to some other location for their "beach day".....

Archived