Does the "upgrade fairy" discriminate?

jolapo

Just wondering if anyone has ever had an upgrade from an inside cabin? How high up did you go? Also, I have noticed that most people who get upgraded have been on numerous cruises before. Is there any chance for newbies with one cruise under our belts and not enough money to pay for a balconey. Don't worry, I'm happy with the room we have just like to dream!

Just wondering if anyone has ever had an upgrade from an inside cabin? How high up did you go? Also, I have noticed that most people who get upgraded have been on numerous cruises before. Is there any chance for newbies with one cruise under our belts and not enough money to pay for a balconey. Don't worry, I'm happy with the room we have just like to dream!
You can dream but it's unlikely to happen. The default for all bookings is that they would accept a free upgrade so you and most of the other passengers on the ship are dreaming. The vast majority of "upgrades" are the exact same cabin type in a different location, and sometimes, that location is available because no one wants it so be careful what you wish for.

Upgrades are based on the number of people booked in a category, the number of people who want to book each category, and the number of available cabins. There might be other factors but that's primarily it.

We were upgraded on our first cruise from an inside to an obstructed oceanview (about 8 categories). Also on our last cruise from an inside to an oceanview (at least 8 categories). Usually we don't mark our cabins upgrade, but the first one was booked by our DIL and the last was a short coastal cruise, so we didn't care one way or the other. I think it has to do with what type of cabins they need the most.

As others have said sometimes the "Upgrade Fairy" never gets aboard because the ship is sold out. This happened to my brother and his wife on their first Carnival Cruise. I told him that might happen and it did. There was a big sign at the business desk that said Ship Sold Out 100%. They spend a lot of time with us in our Penthouse Suite. If you really want a larger cabin, it is most of the time easier to book it so you really will get it.

Good Luck.

I've never been upgraded with Princess. Seems to me in the past, they've usually upgraded honeymoon couples and first-timers. Lately, they seem to be paying a little more attention to your past cruises with them.

I really wish they would upgrade ALL the time based on your past cruises like other cruise lines do - RCI specifically states they'll upgrade you over someone else if you have more cruises with them. I like that! ;)

My very first cruise I was upgraded from an AA mini suite to a full suite. Since it was a first cruise and the upgrade was not given until maybe 2 weeks before our cruise I did not know about ALL the perks so did not enjoy them all but did enjoy the bigger room, the large shower and separate bathtub along with the free laundry. I wish I had known about getting the dining room meals delivered to my room to eat on the balcony and the breakfast in Sabitinis. OH well it was great anyhow!!

One of my employees is going on a cruise next week and he was upgraded from ocean view to a balcony and is excited as it is his first balcony.

We were upgraded from two inside cabins to a family suite on our first cruise almost two years ago. That was unbelievable !!!

We have also been upgraded from obstructed view to ocean view room on two other cruises.

On the cruise that we are about to go on in April we were upgraded from a J category to an I category inside room.

I guess we have been upgraded a ridiculous number of times. I have no idea why. We do book directly with Princess. I don't know if that increases your chances of an upgrade or not.

We always book directly and we always book a guarantee category - down side being you don't have a clue as to where your cabin will be but the upside is the suprise in finding out!!

We have ended up with some super rooms - once we were moved outside of the category we booked - but mostly we ended up within the booked category. Only 1 time did Princess call us for an upgrade from a balcony to a suite; it was not a free upgrade but a drastically reduced fare.

First cruise obstructed view to a Window Suite, they hooked us:D

Hugh

I guess we've been lucky. In sixteen cruises we've been upgraded eight times, four of those from an OV to a balcony. Our last TA was from a H to a BA...Now that I read all these responses I wonder if I've used up all the fairy dust :eek:

I an going on my first Princess cruise in 5 days.

I booked a M (cheapest) inside state room (GTY, not a specific rooom).

About a month ago I was upgraded to a obstructed ocean view.

Then on my final email from Princess, I noticed I have been changed again..to a BD Balcony :D

I NEVER count on an upgrade... but accept it :D when given.

Sometimes it is just luck, but I believe the earlier one books, and is paid in full, chances improve a little with any cruise line.:rolleyes:

It seems to be random. I don't remember what I was booked to on my first cruise 3-day west coast repo), but me and my brother ended up with a balcony, while my parents who booked a balcony ended up in a mini-suite (as far as I know, out of 12 cruises that's the only time they've had a minisuite, and they always book balcony cabins.) In both 7-day Caribbean cruises I've ended up in the category I booked (unobstructed OV,) but for the 1-day I've got coming up I booked an obstructed OV and was almost immediately assigned to an unobstructed OV.

I an going on my first Princess cruise in 5 days.

I booked a M (cheapest) inside state room (GTY, not a specific rooom).

About a month ago I was upgraded to a obstructed ocean view.

Then on my final email from Princess, I noticed I have been changed again..to a BD Balcony :D

I NEVER count on an upgrade... but accept it :D when given.

Sometimes it is just luck, but I believe the earlier one books, and is paid in full, chances improve a little with any cruise line.:rolleyes:

I think also if you are on a unique cruise, ie coastal, repositioning,etc you are more likely to get shuffled around. I've booked an inside on a repo and got a minisuite. Granted it was only 1 night, but still, not bad at all!

My wife and I received and upgrade on our very first cruise from a mini-suite to a full suite. The suite perks were great but the location was at the very front of the ship and the wind made it impossible to use the balcony. We have cruised 6 times after this and have not received an upgrade since.

We were upgraded from a Balcony room on the Caribe to a mini-sweet on the Dolphin on our 2009 Alaska cruise on the Golden. This was our first cruise. We were upgraded less than a week before the ship sailed. I figured it was just beginner's luck.

We were upgraded on our first Princess cruise from an obstructed window view to a covered balcony. I asked my TA about a similar upgrade on our next Princess cruise and she stated it was highly likely since Princess often overbooks on some categories. So I am very hopeful :)

For my cruise last September on the Crown Princess, I'd booked a BD balcony cabin; my sister booked an obstructed oceanview to save some money. At final payment, the cost of my cabin was reduced by more than $1,500, just a bit more than my sister's obstructed oceanview; no change for her. A week before flying to London, my TA let me know I'd been upgraded to an AA mini-suite, the first "real" upgrade I've ever gotten after 22 cruises and 250 days on Princess. My sister half-jokingly asked, "Why didn't you talk me into a balcony cabin?" Once, they "upgraded" me from an AD to an AC mini-suite -- ugh! -- so I demanded my old cabin back, particularly since it was next door to my sister and BIL.

On an upcoming cruise, I booked a BE GTY cabin, something I never do but had to in this case as all balconies were waitlisted, and I was assigned a BB on Caribe deck. Nice, huh? Larger balcony, very coveted. However, it was very far forward, the length of the ship from the dining room, buffet, Skywalkers, etc. No thanks. Back in the GTY pool. Was assigned a BC on Aloha right near the Terrace pool and the steps to the Lido and buffet. Yes!

As I said above, be careful what you wish for. What one person thinks is a great location, others don't.

I was blessed by the upgrade fairy a few times. The first being my very first Princess cruise, we were upgraded from Oceanview Obstructed to a BB balcony category. Most upgrades have been lower priced balcony to BB or BA, a few to mini-suites. Best upgrade was a BB to a PH on my 14th cruise. Loved having the full suite, but we also got married on that cruise, so I wasn't surprised Princess upgraded us. Just booked a G (waitlisted) tonight for a 7 day later this year and hoping the fairy blesses us again pretty nicely. Last cruise before Elite!!

My first cruise I had an upgrade from an inside to a obstructed view. Second cruise I had an upgrade from inside on a lower deck to a higher deck. Nothing more. I know I was extremely lucky (especially the first time) that I don't mind if the upgrade fairy takes her business elsewhere. However, if she decides to visit me again, I will gladly invite her in for coffee in my new cabin.

The only upgrade we've received was a great one. Not on Princess but we were upgraded from a balcony to a suite with Butler and it was our very first cruise. Honestly if you think you're going to have a problem with an inside room, book an outside room. You don't want to be disappointed if it doesn't happen but sounds like you'll be okay with it.

Several years back I was upgraded a few times usually from an inside to an obstructed oceanview and a couple times to oceanview. I was never upgraded to a balcony. Once I was offered an upgrade and turned it down. I don't recall the details, but I've never been offered an upgrade again. Now I generally book balconies and always get what I booked. Sometimes the TA says she got me a BC for the price of a BD for example, but I never consider that an upgrade. Usually I book a cabin that I'm happy with now. There are some upgrades which wouldn't seem like a good deal to me because I don't like all locations. One time I was offered an upgrade to a "better" cabin right next to the self-serve laundry. No thanks. In the last couple years, it seems like mostly newbies get upgrades.

Archived