Marina vs R ships

Paulchili

Marina vs R ships  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Marina vs R ships

Judging from the poll so far, voters prefer the old to the new by 2:1. If instead of designing and building the new ship, Oceania had chosen to "copy" (perhaps with minor improvements) a fourth R ship (which would be much cheaper without the redesign) and increase the number of berths by one-third instead of doubling it (or tripling it as originally planned), they might be much better off. Also, they need only to add new R ships one at a time, perhaps every five years, depending on market development. That will be a lot "safer" economically.

Maybe they can go back and do it over.

• 2 weeks later...

For me there is a cozy feeling on Regatta and a modern feeling on Marina. Both are elegant and comfortable. Ofcourse the dinning on Marina is better because there are more options but there is so much quality food on both Regatta and Marina it is more a matter of quantity and not quality. Red Ginger defenitaly has more unusual menus but i suspect the R ships could incorporate some of the offerings there too. We will be on Regatta (have not sailed the other R ships) in August and then the Marina again in January. Our next trip will be on Riveria so it will be a joy to compare all.

For me there is a cozy feeling on Regatta and a modern feeling on Marina. Both are elegant and comfortable. Ofcourse the dinning on Marina is better because there are more options but there is so much quality food on both Regatta and Marina it is more a matter of quantity and not quality. Red Ginger defenitaly has more unusual menus but i suspect the R ships could incorporate some of the offerings there too. We will be on Regatta (have not sailed the other R ships) in August and then the Marina again in January. Our next trip will be on Riveria so it will be a joy to compare all.

Looking forward to seeing the results of this poll (assuming it is kept up) in a few more months time

I. If it goes to Australia/New Zealand, we might take it. We wouldn't want to go through/across the Tasman Sea on one of the R ships.

We went across the Tasman Sea to New Zealand (3 days) in January 2010 on the Nautica and it was as smooth as glass.... depends upon the weather. Arlene

• 2 weeks later...
Please choose only one preference. One vote only per each CC member.

Poll "restricted" to those who have sailed both ships

1 Prefer Marina

2 Prefer R ships

3 No preference

Hope to see a few more comments now Marina has been in service for a while

Hope to see a few more comments now Marina has been in service for a while

It hardly matters anymore, because the true level of "loyalty" to the R ships has been amply demonstrated by the response to the Insignia's generator troubles.

Sorry but hands down the Marina.....the small ships are fine but having four specialty restaurants is wonderful. The pool areas have tons of lounge chairs. It does not seem like a larger crowded ship.

There are two drawbacks...the shower is designed for a midget...almost unusable...don't even think about picking up something you drop without getting out of the shower. The showroom, because it is not much more than a single deck high looks very small and the viewing is not the best.

We were on the cruise from SFO to MIA and everything was fine until we took on stores in Acapulco. After that, people did start getting sick. Nothing terrible but sick nonetheless. Coincidence, bad timing, I don't know. Aside from the total dining experience was the best I have ever seen. Only the Regent and Crystal crowd seemed to want to turn up their noses a bit.

The ship is absolutely gorgeous. The extra bars lounges and dining options make this a delight. We are returning to Marina May 26 for the Epicurean Adventure (or something like that).

Can't wait.

I have not voted because I have experienced neither the Marina nor Oceania's smaller ships. I am booked on a Marina cruise in October, but even after that cruise, I probably should not be voting. As a result, those voting will be a small sample--though who have cruised previously on Oceania and who are among the relative few who have also cruised on Marina during its very short existence.

However, as one new to cruising, I can tell you this: When I was booking a cruise, my perception was that Marina offered a tad more value because of stateroom size, more restaurants and new construction, and I sought a cruise on the Marina rather than on the smaller ships.

I have not voted because I have experienced neither the Marina nor Oceania's smaller ships. I am booked on a Marina cruise in October, but even after that cruise, I probably should not be voting. As a result, those voting will be a small sample--though who have cruised previously on Oceania and who are among the relative few who have also cruised on Marina during its very short existence.

However, as one new to cruising, I can tell you this: When I was booking a cruise, my perception was that Marina offered a tad more value because of stateroom size, more restaurants and new construction, and I sought a cruise on the Marina rather than on the smaller ships.

On Marina's third voyage over half the ship were previously onboard the "R" ships. In fact, instead of being personally "recognized" at the Captain's reception for those reaching 5, 10 etc sailings, our pins were sent to our cabin with a letter stating that due to the volume of 5 times sails (over 200), they would only be Recognizing those with 10 or more. At this reception which was held in the Marina theater, there was not enough room to seat or standing room only for 600 plus who have sailed before on the "R" ships. I would not call this a "relative few" who have sailed both.

On Marina's third voyage over half the ship were previously onboard the "R" ships.

Deb

I think it was about 850 repeat cruisers almost 70% of the ship

We have been on the small ships with 480 repeaters that is pretty good with only 684 passengers ;)

Deb

I think it was about 850 repeat cruisers almost 70% of the ship

We have been on the small ships with 480 repeaters that is pretty good with only 684 passengers ;)

I knew it was way more than half but was afraid if I said something to the effect without knowing the actual figure I'd be "percentage" challenged by some;)

I knew it was way more than half but was afraid if I said something to the effect without knowing the actual figure I'd be "percentage" challenged by some;)

LOL surely NOT!!!

At this reception which was held in the Marina theater, there was not enough room to seat or standing room only for 600 plus who have sailed before on the "R" ships. I would not call this a "relative few" who have sailed both.
So you are saying that the lounge on the Marina can hold less than 600 of the total 1250 passengers? That is less than half. That may be a higher fraction than on the R ships, but still pretty small in absolute terms. It means potentially, shows may have to be in shifts, if more than half the passengers would like to watch.

On the first two Marina voyages, there were only a couple of times that the theater was "standing room only", and that was most likely because those folks were latecomers who didn't want to search for the empty seats in the dark. Oceania has used their historical data pretty well to predict how many people will attend the theater.

Sorry but hands down the Marina.....the small ships are fine but having four specialty restaurants is wonderful. The pool areas have tons of lounge chairs. It does not seem like a larger crowded ship.

There are two drawbacks...the shower is designed for a midget...almost unusable...don't even think about picking up something you drop without getting out of the shower. The showroom, because it is not much more than a single deck high looks very small and the viewing is not the best.

We were on the cruise from SFO to MIA and everything was fine until we took on stores in Acapulco. After that, people did start getting sick. Nothing terrible but sick nonetheless. Coincidence, bad timing, I don't know. Aside from the total dining experience was the best I have ever seen. Only the Regent and Crystal crowd seemed to want to turn up their noses a bit.

The ship is absolutely gorgeous. The extra bars lounges and dining options make this a delight. We are returning to Marina May 26 for the Epicurean Adventure (or something like that).

Can't wait.

WDR5911 Aside from the food,were the Crystal crowd impressed with the Marina?

Interesting to note the two comments about passwengers becoming ill on recent cruises. We just got off the Azamara Quest in Asia, a good many of the passwengers were infected w/a type of Bronchial infection. Has taken us 3 weeks to start to feel better (and three different Antibiotics), passengers on the Regent coming into Honk Kong w/us had the same type of infection on their ship. Don't know how one prepares for Cruise Ship Illiness's, but they are not definately confined to one Cruise Line and it seems right now it is pretty rampant. Will join the Marina soon for b/b cruises. Good sailing to all whether it is R-1 or Marina.

"Mitch" and Sheila:);):p

Since this thread was first posted, the Marina has sailed three more segments. That would mean that about 3500 more passengers have experienced Marina since then (granted, the last segment had only a little over 200 repeat Oceania cruisers).

That not withstanding, I invite all those that are eligible to cast their vote to do so. Even more importantly, I invite all who wish to post their experiences/opinions about Marina vs R ships to do so as well – this is the forum for it.

As we approach the end of our sailing on the Marina (3 segments all told) I have to say that we had a fantastic voyage, met some wonderful people and saw many interesting places; but our initial feelings remain unchanged.

The Marina is a beautiful ship but she is also too large (for our taste). If in the future, our emphasis should be on fine dining, we will choose the Marina; for all other reasons we will go back to the R ships.

Paul: First let me say it was a pleasure to meet you and your wife on the TA voyage and to run (not literally) in to you on many occasions. I even saw you in Barcelona after we disembarked. We were being seated in the tapas restaruant as you were leaving. I spoke but I think you didn't hear as you probably didn't make the connection with the location. As far as the comparison. I concur with the fine dining. We managed the shower situation as I am short. DH is 6'2'' but he quickly learned to just tilt the shower head away when he soaped up and had no problem. I did like the roomier bathroom and the tub for shaving, and personal laundry. The set-up in the verandas is better with desk chair etc but those things could be fitted into the R ships, I think. Liked the color pallette better and the high ceilings in Marina and fell in love with Barristas. Down side was the library configuration and the inability of the elevator set -up to handle increased numbers. But the larger number of people really didn't bother us and often didn't seem any more crowded to us. Deciding factor will be itinerary for what we want to do when we want to do it.

Re other comment about illness - DH ended up in ship's medical (on his birhtday!) and had bronchitis. He was well taken care of with antibiotic, cold/flu medication and codiene cough syrup. Cost was probably about what would pay without insurance on land and I'm filing claim with travel insurance. He caught it in time so he felt well enough to enjoy Barcelona. Was very pleased with the doctor and nurses.

So glad to meet you and other wonderful people through my first time with CCers. Many more wonderful voyages to you.

Joanna

Hi Paul,

Glad you're still enjoying your next segment. It was great to meet you and Martha and share trivia. I was upset to see in Barcelona that the tapas restaurant I recommended to you was called Cerveceria Catalan and not Cervantes as I had told you. I hope you found it anyway. We went there and loved it.

I do agree that the Marina is a different experience from the R ships but I think O has done a decent job of creating intimate spaces so that one does not feel crowded (except for the library, of course.) I'll be on the Regatta next month so will be able to better judge since it has been a while since I was last on an R ship.

I have to say though that the four specialty restaurants were, imo, spectacular, and almost worth booking the ship for assuming the itinerary works. Even though I was concerned that we could only get one reservation in each pre-sailing I did manage to get in many more times and loved each experience.

Joanna - it was a pleasure meeting you as well – sorry I missed you at the tapas restaurant. I was probably day-dreaming (as per usual).

wripro – enjoyed meeting you and playing the trivia together. I could not find the restaurant you recommended (for obvious reasons) but had a great meal at Cuidad Condal.

We had a very nice group of people on our roll call and it was a pleasure meeting all of them. Unfortunately, the nature of the beast is that I got to know some of you better than others.

Thanks to all posters (past and future) for sharing their impressions here (as well as voting). There is no “agenda” here – only a chance to share our experiences and opinions with others.

Joanna - it was a pleasure meeting you as well – sorry I missed you at the tapas restaurant. I was probably day-dreaming (as per usual).

wripro – enjoyed meeting you and playing the trivia together. I could not find the restaurant you recommended (for obvious reasons) but had a great meal at Cuidad Condal.

We had a very nice group of people on our roll call and it was a pleasure meeting all of them. Unfortunately, the nature of the beast is that I got to know some of you better than others.

Thanks to all posters (past and future) for sharing their impressions here (as well as voting). There is no “agenda” here – only a chance to share our experiences and opinions with others.

Thanks for posting this poll...we just loved Marina and our cruise...it was so great to finally meet you and all the other friends we had made on the Roll Call! Hope to sail with you and Marsha again!! LuAnn

Hi, LuAnn !! I am avidly reading all these Oceania posts as we have just booked our first O cruise transatlantic in March 2012 Miami to Barcelona on Marina. Looking forward to seeing you onboard!! Pat xx

Thanks for posting this poll...we just loved Marina and our cruise...it was so great to finally meet you and all the other friends we had made on the Roll Call! Hope to sail with you and Marsha again!! LuAnn

Hi LuAnn,

We enjoyed meeting you as well and it would be fun to cruise together again. Thanks for voting here.

You never know when our paths may cross.

Happy trails to you.

Archived