Missing ship in Livorno

sailawaykay

The hardest part is probably finding a room at the last minute, but even that wouldn't be all that difficult.

Because I knew I could easily handle this if I missed the ship, I was willing to take a fairly late train back from Rome on our cruise the summer before last. The next stop was Livorno, so I was comfortable that I could find us a hotel and get us to the next stop pretty easily.

We came awful close on one cruise, but got to the ship as they were pulling in the gangplank. Getting from Livorno to Rome (and the port at Civitavecchia) is quite easy (via train) and you would have no problem catching the ship. In fact. when we have had a similar situation (Civitavecchia or France the next day) we really never worried about getting back on time (but we always made it back) because we knew it would not be a biggie to catch the ship the next day. We always had the Livorno port agent's phone number in case we did miss the ship (its nice to let them know).

Hank

You'd think this is a common occurance. The reality is I think more common in the tropics where people hit the beach and drink themslves into a stupor and forget the time.

On our Med trip I think at each port we heard the standard calling for people, but in the end only in one port did someone actually miss the boat. Not bad, 3000+ people 10 ports, that works out to someting like ~ 1/20,000 or less.

Of course you can always catch up in the next port, provided you don't have to cross a border. The reality is if you miss the boat the port authority for the cruiseline will aid you getting to the next port.

I just have a quick question - Has anyone ever had the experience of missing the ship in Livorno with the next stop in Rome? What happens when you miss the ship, can you pick it up the next day or is it not that simple?

Actually, given how long it takes to get to Florence from Livorno and to Rome from Civitavecchia, I'm surprised we don't have more questions from folks who want to spend the night in town and meet the ship the next night, after visiting the other city. That's what I would have done, if I didn't have half of my immediate world (eleven of us) to deal with on that cruise!

Actually, given how long it takes to get to Florence from Livorno and to Rome from Civitavecchia, I'm surprised we don't have more questions from folks who want to spend the night in town and meet the ship the next night, after visiting the other city. That's what I would have done, if I didn't have half of my immediate world (eleven of us) to deal with on that cruise!

I was thinking the same thing as I read this, I thought that might be what it was about. I've never been in Florence at night but I'd imagine it's great. Rome at night is magical. And there's so much to see in both places that most of one day isn't enough.

The only problem comes if there is WEATHER. If the ship can't dock at the next port, you will have a new challenge. And lately there has been weird weather everywhere. It just doesn't pay to take anything for granted.

I really haven't read of many people missing the ship that often... I think people are pretty diligent at making it back to the port on time. Also, Rome is not a port that is missed because of weather. It's a huge port and one that is used for embarking and disembarking. I haven't heard of many ships that haven't made it into Civitavecchia. The train would be easy enough to do, but I think all the headaches wouldn't be worth missing the boat.

Our ship once docked in Livorno where the little street to our pier went over a very small drawbridge. We were enjoying a drink on the stern to watch sailaway, when a taxi, stopped at the open drawbridge so that several small boats could go through, started blowing its horn. Then a couple jumped out and started yelling and waving. So, we all waved back as the ship sailed away. Don't cut it too short, as you never know what can go wrong.

Archived