POLL- Concierge Programme

OrpingtonT

How likely are to to cruise with Regent after April, 2012?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are to to cruise with Regent after April, 2012?

• Not at all likely, it's a deal breaker.
    • Probably not.
    • Probably will.
    • Very likely, it makes no difference

.... and Frank Del Rio have you on their speed dials...I will make certain that I kneel....

While you and I are in agreement about the Concierge program and Jackie and I are on opposite sides (but apparently still friends :cool:), and as someone else who has established a minor relationship with FDR through no effort of mine, I have to say that you are really being unfair to Jackie. She actually received her first call from FDR because of negative things she was saying about Prestige, and he wanted a chance to present his case. They ended up with respect for each other.

This shows just how much FDR cares about the passengers (reportedly Mark Conroy, also, although I have no personal experience), and shows how much both have an open mind.

I could sail on Regent a thousand nights and still never be part of the "Old Guard" who blindly berates Prestige Cruise Holdings, FDR, Apollo or anyone or anything else that changed what they perceived as "their" cruise line. Bluntly stated, it's not the new management's fault that the old management put the cruise line up for sale and abandoned them. They direct their ire at the wrong target.

Jackie knows this about me, but we can still treat each other civilly, and 99% of the folks we meet on Regent cruises will never know what mavericks we both are, in totally different directions!

Jaffa, that was well said and I agree.:)

Wendy, consider the source. If I did not mention that we sometimes cruise in Penthouse suites, someone would have said that I'm upset and complaining because I'll have to wait to board and/or make dining reservations. IMO, it is more important for Regent to know that customers, whether affected by the change or not, are concerned.

As everyone on this board should know, Mark Conroy, Frank Del Rio, or any other executive of Regent or Prestige Cruise Holdings can be reached by telephone or email. FDR comes on board both Oceania and Regent to have lunch with customers when they embark in FLL or MIA. Someday I hope to be able to meet him and Mr. Conroy. They like hearing from their customers (the good as well as the not so good).

P.S. Don, we posted at the same time. Thanks for the kind words. And, yes, we are still friends and we look forward to our lunch together in June!

...The people who the change is aimed at (mass market suite cruisers) will not provide the same dollar value to Regent as their regular luxury clients do already...

I disagree. Many of those mass-market suite cruisers are spending more and getting less, mostly out of ignorance. It absolutely is a brilliant marketing move by Regent to point out to these people that a better alternative exists.

Besides, because of the all-inclusive nature of Regent, every passenger generates the same revenue for Regent regardless of their prior cruising history. In fact, every new guest on Regent creates more revenue because they don't have perks or discounts that cost Regent money. Ever hear of corporations who get rid of long time employees because they can hire new ones, cheaper?

Awed-

I also think you are being unfair. I often disagree with Jackie's view but I believe that is what a forum is about - an opportunity to express different points of view without being impolite. Your tone is really unecessary and if she is in touch with the CEO of either company or has some inside info, what do you care? If she shares this knowledge on the boards, then I also learn from that and can use my own judgment as to how much I weight that info.

I also think that both Mark Conroy and FDR are two of the most approachable CEOs in this business. I think it is great that they reach out to customers.

I could sail on Regent a thousand nights and still never be part of the "Old Guard" who blindly berates Prestige Cruise Holdings, FDR, Apollo or anyone or anything else that changed what they perceived as "their" cruise line. Bluntly stated, it's not the new management's fault that the old management put the cruise line up for sale and abandoned them. They direct their ire at the wrong target.

I absolutely agree with you on this Don. Some of us seem to have forgotten how the Carlson's had really lost interest in the cruise line. As for being "Old Guard", those are the ones who go back to the Flower, which excludes me for sure, and most, but not all, of the posters here on CC.

(In fact I remember looking into the Song of Flower after our first cruise on the Paul Gauguin. Prices on that ship were insane, I thought. Much higher than Diamond, say, which was in the fleet at that time.)

Whilst l see your logic Don, it has some faults.

1/ "Many of those mass-market suite cruisers are spending more and getting less"

Not true, they are in fact getting space & location. 2,3,4 even up to 8 times the size of the suite they would be downgrading to, should they choose to pay the same cruise price on Regent.

These passengers are buying the best they can for the money they wish to spend.

To many, good investing is all about "location, location, location".

2/ Even if l accept (which l don't) the "spending more getting less" senario, why would they choose the most expensive of the luxury brands. Surely your not saying thay would just blindly book Regent without looking around, if they were to contemplate such a move.

No, l would be pretty confident if they were thinking of changing to the lux level they would first dip there toe in the water.

As Regent is now the most expensive of all the lux brands.

I am pretty sure they would see any of the other lux brands as more attractive for a 1st try.

If Regents rates were more reasonable (level with the competition then the change (concierge programe) would have a chance, but there not.

This is why l don't think the concierge programe will work.

It is also why l think it's a gamble for Regent.

Not only do they risk their regular cruisers displeasure and possible abandonment( which is already being seen on this board), there is no guarentee these so called upgraders are going to choose the Regent brand over the the others.

This new change, might get an upgrading cruisers interest, but it might just introduce them to the competition as well.

I think it is a big risk.

...This new change, might get an upgrading cruisers interest, but it might just introduce them to the competition as well.

That's what marketing is. You put your best foot forward, as do all the others, and you hope you get at least your share, if not a little more. It's all in what people perceive. No matter what you pay on a mass market line, or how big a suite you reserve, when you leave your suite it's still a mass market line. I think experienced HAL or Celebrity or other cruisers who have been paying even more than they would pay on a luxury line are interested in that sort of appeal, moving to a cruise line that provides a luxury atmosphere throughout the ship, not just in the Sanctuary or Aqua Class or whatever.

Moreover, when they think of "dipping their toe", they will most likely go for the biggest bang for their buck. While the other lines may offer lower prices, they just don't "get" the concept of "all inclusive" as well as does Regent, and that's bound to attract more "toe dippers". remember, those folks are already throwing good money after bad --- they don''t care about the overall cost.

Even Jackie thinks that newcomers are the ones who love inclusive tours. It's a magical marketing tool. Throw in the incuded air, the included hotel, the included gratuities, the included drinks, the included launderettes and more, it's hard to resist, unless you're one of those who liked it better when the ships were run down and you had to pay for drinks and excursions. With the exception of run down ships, it's Oceania!

Besides, it's working, despite the dire predictions of many on this board.

Archived