POLL- Concierge Programme

OrpingtonT

How likely are to to cruise with Regent after April, 2012?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are to to cruise with Regent after April, 2012?

• Not at all likely, it's a deal breaker.
    • Probably not.
    • Probably will.
    • Very likely, it makes no difference

I I don't think we have spent a quarter of a million dollars as you have referenced, but so what.

If Regent as well as other luxury cruise lines don't effect change and .

For clarification purposes, I did not state how much we have personally spent on Regent cruises (I have not even tried to figure it out). The amount I stated was specifically in reference to "some" Regent cruisers.

Of course I agree that the long time Regent cruisers will die off. I'm not trying to stop the change. . . . only expecting Regent to give some respect to those cruisers who have been loyal to Regent for many years. As they go away (for whatever reason) they will be replaced with cruisers that will become accustomed to Regent being a premium cruise line (or, as it will probably be referred to in the future, "Oceania" customers will be used to the policies of the line they are cruising).

"Grandfathering" is not a new concept. Whether they grandfathered Gold and above or Platinum and above, it would at show some caring and concern for their loyal passengers.

For clarification purposes, I did not state how much we have personally spent on Regent cruises (I have not even tried to figure it out). The amount I stated was specifically in reference to "some" Regent cruisers.

Of course I agree that the long time Regent cruisers will die off. I'm not trying to stop the change. . . . only expecting Regent to give some respect to those cruisers who have been loyal to Regent for many years. As they go away (for whatever reason) they will be replaced with cruisers that will become accustomed to Regent being a premium cruise line (or, as it will probably be referred to in the future, "Oceania" customers will be used to the policies of the line they are cruising).

"Grandfathering" is not a new concept. Whether they grandfathered Gold and above or Platinum and above, it would at show some caring and concern for their loyal passengers.

TC2..

Much of the grandfathering you mention has gone by the wayside.

For example..AT&T or Sprint or Comcast will come out with promotions catering "only" to new customers. Low rates and expanded services.

I don't think this is correct either, but at the same time they don't diminish the service to the existing crowd.

What I am saying is to wait until the new, not fully understood programs are in place and running, and then see what happens to the old and new.

I suggest this in lieu of the sky is falling syndrome. Of course, having patience and waiting doesn't create as much excitement and anxiety as raging in the forums, and I guess this is what keeps forums alive.

I was warming to the idea of booking with regent next year. Now no way . Do not like the thought of two classes. Will stick with Seabourn or Silversea.

There will not be two classes. Little will change, and most of that for the better. There will not suddenly be hordes of lower class passengers waiting forlornly on a dock to board. There will not be hungry faces screwed up against the specialty restaurant doors, wishing they had paid more to get treated the same way. All this has been an overreaction.

Gee when I was on Oceania in a PH A and I boarded the ship at noon I walked right on, dropped my luggage and had enough time to grab something to eat and meet the tour guide we hired by 2:00 for one of the best tours I'd ever had. There were still people waiting to board with a 3:00 boarding time when we left the ship that were on our bus from the precruise hotel in Istanbul. Those people did not have the opportunity I had. I would hate to miss a day in a city like Istanbul when I could have been touring. My hand luggage was safely stored in my cabin and even some of my clothes hung up.

There will not be two classes. Little will change, and most of that for the better. There will not suddenly be hordes of lower class passengers waiting forlornly on a dock to board. There will not be hungry faces screwed up against the specialty restaurant doors, wishing they had paid more to get treated the same way. All this has been an overreaction.

Overreaction is an understatement...

Gee when I was on Oceania in a PH A and I boarded the ship at noon I walked right on, dropped my luggage and had enough time to grab something to eat and meet the tour guide we hired by 2:00 for one of the best tours I'd ever had. There were still people waiting to board with a 3:00 boarding time when we left the ship that were on our bus from the precruise hotel in Istanbul. Those people did not have the opportunity I had. I would hate to miss a day in a city like Istanbul when I could have been touring. My hand luggage was safely stored in my cabin and even some of my clothes hung up.
You got that opportunity by paying more for a penthouse than the people that were waiting. They had that choice, also. The incentive system worked -- unless you thought the people waiting were of some lower caste than you... Some of them may have been on many more cruises than you and spent more money overall with Oceania; do you think any of them resented you for having taken their place in the boarding line? Did you feel sorry enough for them to offer one of them your place in line? Opponents of the proposed new policy are advocating the denial of the right that you purchased.

You got that opportunity by paying more for a penthouse than the people that were waiting. They had that choice, also. The incentive system worked -- unless you thought the people waiting were of some lower caste than you... Some of them may have been on many more cruises than you and spent more money overall with Oceania; do you think any of them resented you for having taken their place in the boarding line? Did you feel sorry enough for them to offer one of them your place in line? Opponents of the proposed new policy are advocating the denial of the right that you purchased.

No, I didn't. The people arrived when I did. By creating a two tiered systems they were denied boarding because they didn't pay more to do so when they already paid for their fare. They were in a sense held hostage to something that was unfair. There was no reason they could not have boarded except for the stupid policy.

From the responses I am reading, it seems that this policy is more acceptable to those coming from Oceania and other premium or mainstream cruiselines as this is something they are used to.

Regent, Seabourn, Silversea customers would not expect this to take place, nor would be acceptable (in most cases). If Regent were in financial difficulty and this change would make them more money, it might be easier to understand. If it is difficult to book categories "E" and "D", for instance, why not simply give some of the invisible benefits that the upper categories receive (butler, pre-ordering alcohol and snacks, etc.) This is far better than punishing those in lower categories.

Since Regent is no doubt reading this, it might be helpful for them to know whether these posts are coming from new customers, customers who typically book premium suites or deluxe suites. Obviously many of us are upset, many could care less and many simply do not understand the implications.

I mentioned the butler possibility in private email recently, but the fact is, that's not revenue-neutral. They want something that doesn't cost anything.

But, if they are having trouble filling the cabins, they could, for probably not much of a net loss, just lower the price of D,E,F and G to be all the same! How about that? No, I know, that's not revenue-neutral either, but if they are having trouble filling the cabins right now, they are doing it anyways by selling GTY's, right?

Just thinking out loud.

Don, I think you're going to have concede this one to Kathy! :)

Since Regent is no doubt reading this, it might be helpful for them to know whether these posts are coming from new customers, customers who typically book premium suites or deluxe suites. Obviously many of us are upset, many could care less and many simply do not understand the implications.

I put a deadline of 6 April for this poll, which has produced some well thought out responses. I had hoped to summarise them and pass them on to Mark Conroy but the views have been very diverse and some have changed their minds after the first reaction. Nevertheless, I shall make an attempt and let them know what our CC members feel. The respose of 100 or so members is very gratifying and, I think significant.

I mentioned the butler possibility in private email recently, but the fact is, that's not revenue-neutral. They want something that doesn't cost anything.

But, if they are having trouble filling the cabins, they could, for probably not much of a net loss, just lower the price of D,E,F and G to be all the same! How about that? No, I know, that's not revenue-neutral either, but if they are having trouble filling the cabins right now, they are doing it anyways by selling GTY's, right?

Just thinking out loud.

I don't know about filling cabins, but we are sailing next Tue on the Navigator out of Ft. Lauderdale R/T Caribbean.

As you surmised, we are staunch Regent fans and this 10 day cruise is not cheap. For what we are paying on the Regent per day, we could go on one of the behemoth ships for a week....not for us, of course..

In spite of this, we just received an email from Regent via our TA...saying the ship was oversold and offering some nice credits for anyone either wanting to cancel or re-book on another sailing.

I put a deadline of 6 April for this poll, which has produced some well thought out responses. I had hoped to summarise them and pass them on to Mark Conroy but the views have been very diverse and some have changed their minds after the first reaction. Nevertheless, I shall make an attempt and let them know what our CC members feel. The respose of 100 or so members is very gratifying and, I think significant.

Unfortunately, some of us just could not vote and be honest. We have a Regent cruise booked in November, 2012 so I could not vote that I won't be booking Regent after April. I feel that those with less to lose find it easy to say that they don't care and are not affected by this change. I do not like the policy or the direction Regent is going. If I were more of a snob I could say that it doesn't bother me because I book penthouse suites anyway and do not really care if others have to wait to board or if they cannot book Prime 7 for their wedding anniversary. If they just dug deeper into those pockets, they wouldn't have to wait. Fifty percent of Regent customers (those that book the right categories) are not affected. They must a part of the not caring vote.

It was the same with the excursion poll that I asked Host Dan to pull after just a few hours. Everyone was voting in favor of it which was not a true representation of the Regent repeat customers that post on CruiseCritic.

Hope you can include some comments of those of us who could not vote.

Unfortunately, some of us just could not vote and be honest. We have a Regent cruise booked in November, 2012 so I could not vote that I won't be booking Regent after April. I feel that those with less to lose find it easy to say that they don't care and are not affected by this change. I do not like the policy or the direction Regent is going. If I were more of a snob I could say that it doesn't bother me because I book penthouse suites anyway and do not really care if others have to wait to board or if they cannot book Prime 7 for their wedding anniversary. If they just dug deeper into those pockets, they wouldn't have to wait. Fifty percent of Regent customers (those that book the right categories) are not affected. They must a part of the not caring vote.

It was the same with the excursion poll that I asked Host Dan to pull after just a few hours. Everyone was voting in favor of it which was not a true representation of the Regent repeat customers that post on CruiseCritic.

Hope you can include some comments of those of us who could not vote.

I respect your feelings even though I don't totally understand what the agenda might be.

I don't think those questions you pose can be answered on any poll or forum. As with all forums I frequent, mostly all technical, the story remains the same...only the names and places change.

Perhaps if Regent were interested in assessing what this forum is try to do, they might either send a mailing or e-mail all its past cruisers. Where would that get them...nothing, as the returns would be meager.

The acid test as I see it from a pure business standpoint, will be to go with what their management suggests and see if the results please or displease you. Past cruisers will either stay or go and new cruisers will either sign up or not. How in the world can you ask anyone to vote or not vote for something that no one really knows about?

It's nice for you and a handful of others to have the concerns for old and new cruisers, but I don't think you can change anything in the big picture.

Sure, you can nudge them for some small items, but you must give them credit for building and maintaining a pretty good experience.

I spent a lifetime in business and the test was whether customers would come to us and keep coming back. We never found a poll that could ever define that. Only the bottom line was the test.

In the final analysis, we will decide in real time if or when something does or doesn't please us and either stay or move on accordingly.

While my wife and I do not have the long history of Regent cruises that many of you do, we have spent significant money with Regent in the past year (two Regent cruises in the past 8 months- with two cabins on each, as our teenage daughter has accompanied us). For us, I would say that the new policy is not necessarily a "deal killer", but it is a negative to be taken into account with other factors when we decide whether to book another Regent cruise. Forcing some passengers to board at a later time, especially, just doesn't feel right to me. I say this even though we have sailed in categories on both Regent cruises that would permit us to have these "special" privileges.

We will take this into account, along with what I perceive to be the larger negative in evaluating Regent v. its luxury competitors - the fact that, with only three ships, the itinerary options are limited. We have booked the Seabourn Sojourn for this summer because it offers a Norwegian trip that Regent is not offering. We will evaluate future options after taking into account our experience on Seabourn.

There was no reason they could not have boarded except for the stupid policy.

Don, I think you're going to have concede this one to Kathy! :)

There was no reason they could not have paid more and boarded when you did. And, if you think it was so unfair, you could have paid less and boarded when they did. Sorry, Wendy.

From the responses I am reading, it seems that this policy is more acceptable to those coming from Oceania and other premium or mainstream cruiselines as this is something they are used to.

Regent, Seabourn, Silversea customers would not expect this to take place, nor would be acceptable (in most cases)...

And that is is most class-based statement I have read on this thread. Obviously, those of us who have moved from the lower class cruise lines arfe not part of your Regent (even though probably 95% of Regent guests started in one of this mass market cruise lines, and many still choose to sail on them).

I probably just uninvited myself from our get-together -- I hope not, it will be interesting, to say the least ;).

Don, I respectfully feel that your perspective is not that of most Regent cruisers. When you pay 30%-50% more (than Oceania) for a cruise, there is no thought of waiting for anything. You can go on any luxury line and be treated the same whether you are in the Owner's suite or the lowest suite. Yes, there are benefits that are invisible to others, but, we are paying for the privilege of sailing on a luxury line.

This isn't about who is rich and who has saved for 10 years in order to take one luxury cruise. Once you reach this level, you are able to go on a ALL First Class ship. To act like a snob for a moment, most of us do not care what Oceania or Azamara offer their guests. While most of us do not look down on them (or anyone else), we are grateful that we do not have to contend with the stuff that others have to put up with (announcements, priority boarding, special restaurants only for "special" people, signing for drinks).

Crystal cruises has made several changes over the past three or so years because they cannot effectively compete with Regent, Silversea and Seabourn. FINALLY, they realize that they needed to compete on different levels. How ironic that Regent suddenly wants to put in place policies that no other luxury cruise line would even think of doing.

How on earth could Regent executives think they will get more cutomers by making 50% of their passengers wait until the priviledged 50% embark and make dining reservations? Any of us can (and do/will) go to Silversea, Seabourn and now Crystal and not have to put up this with type of discrimination.

While I argued against the comparison between cruising on a luxury line and flying First Class on an airline, it is beginning to make sense. . . . . this policy is like having the first three rows of First Class receive meals and the last three rows of First Class pay for them.

Luxury travelers, whether on an airplane, resort or cruise ship are paying through the nose for the privilege of flying/cruising, etc. on this level. We do not want to hear what premium and mass market cruise lines are doing. If that is what we wanted, we would be booking the top suite on Celebrity, Oceania, Azamara, Princess or HAL.

Some people think we are beating a dead horse. Excuse me, but, on another luxury thread, this type of thread went on for at least two months. We need Regent to hear us (yes, even those who do not agree). Regent can easily look up the screen names of CruiseCritic members and see how many days we have cruised with their line. How loyal so many of us have been.

Host Dan, sincerely hope I have not overstepped my bounds and CC's guidelines on this post. I feel more strongly on this issue than any other in the past 5+ years.

P.S. Don, we definitely want to have lunch with you in Bellingham! "Travelcat2" only exists on Cruisecritic:-)

Without reading all of the posts, it would appear that there have been a large number of less than truthful responses to this ?scientific? poll.

I find it very difficult to believe that 45% of the responders would not cruise Regent again if they lost these few somewhat trivial "perks".

My goodness, it sure doesn't seem like grounds for a call for a march to Cairo's Freedom Square.

Don, I respectfully feel that your perspective is not that of most Regent cruisers. When you pay 30%-50% more (than Oceania) for a cruise, there is no thought of waiting for anything. You can go on any luxury line and be treated the same whether you are in the Owner's suite or the lowest suite. Yes, there are benefits that are invisible to others, but, we are paying for the privilege of sailing on a luxury line.

This isn't about who is rich and who has saved for 10 years in order to take one luxury cruise. Once you reach this level, you are able to go on a ALL First Class ship. To act like a snob for a moment, most of us do not care what Oceania or Azamara offer their guests. While most of us do not look down on them (or anyone else), we are grateful that we do not have to contend with the stuff that others have to put up with (announcements, priority boarding, special restaurants only for "special" people, signing for drinks).

Crystal cruises has made several changes over the past three or so years because they cannot effectively compete with Regent, Silversea and Seabourn. FINALLY, they realize that they needed to compete on different levels. How ironic that Regent suddenly wants to put in place policies that no other luxury cruise line would even think of doing.

How on earth could Regent executives think they will get more cutomers by making 50% of their passengers wait until the priviledged 50% embark and make dining reservations? Any of us can (and do/will) go to Silversea, Seabourn and now Crystal and not have to put up this with type of discrimination.

While I argued against the comparison between cruising on a luxury line and flying First Class on an airline, it is beginning to make sense. . . . . this policy is like having the first three rows of First Class receive meals and the last three rows of First Class pay for them.

Luxury travelers, whether on an airplane, resort or cruise ship are paying through the nose for the privilege of flying/cruising, etc. on this level. We do not want to hear what premium and mass market cruise lines are doing. If that is what we wanted, we would be booking the top suite on Celebrity, Oceania, Azamara, Princess or HAL.

Some people think we are beating a dead horse. Excuse me, but, on another luxury thread, this type of thread went on for at least two months. We need Regent to hear us (yes, even those who do not agree). Regent can easily look up the screen names of CruiseCritic members and see how many days we have cruised with their line. How loyal so many of us have been.

Host Dan, sincerely hope I have not overstepped my bounds and CC's guidelines on this post. I feel more strongly on this issue than any other in the past 5+ years.

P.S. Don, we definitely want to have lunch with you in Bellingham! "Travelcat2" only exists on Cruisecritic:-)

TC2...

It's evident that you are one of the more prolific posters on this board but that doesn't give you the license to appear that you are speaking for or representing the majority of Regent cruisers.

You post as if you have control of the situation. Others seem to think that the world will not come to an end with the new Regent policies.

There are a number of us who don't begin to agree with your Armageddon posture.

It would be nice if the board would lean more toward answering the questions that new cruisers may have as well as hearing about how people are enjoying their cruises and sharing their adventures rather than the constant pounding about things we don't know too much about. It seems to me that new cruisers making inquiries about Regent will be scared away.

This will eventually seek its own level..You will either be pleased and continue to sail on Regent or be displeased and go elsewhere. Let the people decide for themselves..different strokes for different folks..

TC2...

It's evident that you are one of the more prolific posters on this board but that doesn't give you the license to appear that you are speaking for or representing the majority of Regent cruisers.

You post as if you have control of the situation. Others seem to think that the world will not come to an end with the new Regent policies.

There are a number of us who don't begin to agree with your Armageddon posture.

It would be nice if the board would lean more toward answering the questions that new cruisers may have as well as hearing about how people are enjoying their cruises and sharing their adventures rather than the constant pounding about things we don't know too much about. It seems to me that new cruisers making inquiries about Regent will be scared away.

This will eventually seek its own level..You will either be pleased and continue to sail on Regent or be displeased and go elsewhere. Let the people decide for themselves..different strokes for different folks..

We (regular CruiseCritic posters) all speak for ourselves. We are all entitled to our opinions. One of our goals is to answer questions for newbies which we continue to do. There is a blocking function on CruiseCritic that can be used to block someone'e posts. We are all governed by the guidelines of CruiseCritic. Regent is interested in what all of us have to say.

Kane: You're right. . . . none of the polls on CruiseCritic are scientific. However, posters on the Regent board (after months of debating) were able to change Regent's dress code. So, for better or worse, they do read the board. It was an amazing accomplishment:-)

Archived