POLL- Concierge Programme

OrpingtonT

How likely are to to cruise with Regent after April, 2012?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are to to cruise with Regent after April, 2012?

• Not at all likely, it's a deal breaker.
    • Probably not.
    • Probably will.
    • Very likely, it makes no difference

I think it is fair to say that we are all patiently awaiting the "formal" announcement from Regent. Since there is such a short time between now and when the price increases occur (on Thursday), perhaps Regent will consider posting the new policy here:confused:

Actually, I think the impending price increase is 4/1, which is Friday, so we all have an extra day (if I am correct)

You're right. . . . it is Friday. . . . I was thinking about the last day to book (I should have just said "April Fool":-).

In terms of pricing, I see the problem as being that we don't know which itineraries will be increased. It may be 10% of them or 50% of them. Has Regent threatened to raise prices on a certain day and then not followed through?

Regent remembered to send out yet another reminder that prices on their "most popular" cruises will increase in "three days". It is becoming obvious that there will not be an announcement regarding their "Concierge Program" anytime soon. Not sure if the silence is a good thing or not.

Think Regent needs to rethink their advertising. They seem to focus on the negativity. Rather than encourage customers to take advantage of the special promotions that will remain in place through March 31st, they keep drumming into our heads that "prices are increasing". . . . over and over and over.

To clarify the rate increases. All cruises are assessed at quarterly intervals. End of March, June, September and December. This program has been in place for a while at least one year maybe two + years. The cruises that have reached a certain capacity are increased, sometimes promotions such as business air may be withdrawn. Silversea is now following the same pattern. At least we know when prices MIGHT increase before they changed with no warning which was frustrating as well.

To clarify the rate increases. All cruises are assessed at quarterly intervals. End of March, June, September and December. This program has been in place for a while at least one year maybe two + years. The cruises that have reached a certain capacity are increased, sometimes promotions such as business air may be withdrawn. Silversea is now following the same pattern. At least we know when prices MIGHT increase before they changed with no warning which was frustrating as well.

Thank you for the explanation!

As I have stated several times, I will not pay for excursions that I do not intend to take, unless I get a rebate for not using them, as is done with air. It was a good market ploy but I think that it fell flat for regular cruisers.

[quote name='neviboy']As I have stated several times, I will not pay for excursions that I do not intend to take, unless I get a rebate for not using them, as is done with air. It was a good market ploy but I think that it fell flat for regular cruisers.[/QUOTE]

Neville, I will not pay for a pool I will never use. I will not pay for a sports deck I will never use. I will not pay for gentlemen hosts I will never use. I will not pay for crafts people I will never use. I will not pay for flowers that I am allergic to. I will not pay for shows I will never see. I will not pay ...

As I have stated several times, I will not pay for excursions that I do not intend to take, unless I get a rebate for not using them, as is done with air. It was a good market ploy but I think that it fell flat for regular cruisers.

As Mark Conroy pretty much stated, the people who run excursions and most other things on Regent do not really care about "regular cruisers". I am still digesting this information.

As Mark Conroy pretty much stated, the people who run excursions and most other things on Regent do not really care about "regular cruisers". I am still digesting this information.

Am really confused over where you came up with that conclusion. While I am one of the most vocal over the failings of destinations, what you posted didn't seem to say that they don't care about regular cruisers.

What concerns me is that they appear to not report to the President of Regent or the President of Oceania. From what I know about management, this lack of reporting to the Presidents of either cruise line puts them in a strange position of reporting to Prestige who cares about the overall and not specifically about either operating company.

Don't know how complaints or compiments, if any are conveyed to destinations when reports come in at the company level and not at the Prestige level. Really don't think it is a matter of not caring about any specific cruiser, it may be that they are protecting the bottom line for Prestige and that's why they are non-responsive to valid complaints from the cruisers and as long as they bring in new cruisers to replace those who choose to more responsive cruise lines, they are safe in Frank del Rio's eyes. Charging exhorbitant add-ons and not delivering the promised excursions is not a concern of them as long as their department is profitable no matter the profitability of either operating company and neither Conroy or Binder has much say in the matter to protect their bottom line so to me it is a money issue that has little chance of being resolved in the passengers favor.

As there are only a finite number of people who can affort the 5 figure fares on Regent and Oceneania, this will eventually catch up and hope it does before we are unable to cruise.

Rallydave: Not really disagreeing with you at all. . . . just wondering why Regent has to take benefits away from long time customers in order to attract new customers. Do you recall when Mark Conroy talked about how successful Regent has been in the last couple of years? On most itineraries, the ships are sailing full or almost full? The ultra all-inclusivity has been working (in spite of what some of us think of it). Does Regent have to implement the same policies as they have on HAL and Princess in order to attract their upper level customers?

I went to the HAL and Princess websites this evening to see what benefits the upper categories receive. They were pretty poor compared to Regent. Yes -- HAL had priority embarkation and a special room that others could not access. However, Regent offers so much more . . . in all of their suites.

A year or so ago I had a conversation with someone at Prestige Cruise Holdings. They admitted that, when Regent was purchased, they did not understand what Regent customers wanted/needed. They were striving to meet their expectations and seem to have done a reasonably good job. It was also apparent at that time that Oceania was their top priority.

It is amazing how things can change in such a short period of time. Now Mark Conroy is acknowledging that Regent is marketing to upper levels of HAL and Princess. The fact that the excursion division is no longer managed under Mark Conroy is also quite telling.

So, this is a long long way of explaining some of the reasons why I came to the conclusion that Regent is not focusing on current customers. You and others may come to other conclusions.

Regent remembered to send out yet another reminder that prices on their "most popular" cruises will increase in "three days". It is becoming obvious that there will not be an announcement regarding their "Concierge Program" anytime soon. Not sure if the silence is a good thing or not.
:)...Just look at the poll on this thread. It answers a lot of questions.

....:confused: Why would you say Mark Conroy stated that ???....To state that the people who run excursions (Apollo) do not care about regular cruisers seems a bit ridiculous... Repeat cruisers are the backbone of any successful cruise line....I do not believe that Frank Del Rio or Mark Conroy are insensitive to their customer base....They would need to be much less than normal in intellegence to believe so....I am sorry I broke my promise to myself not to respond to any posts that I felt were falsely stated or just over the top.....:(

Neville, I will not pay for a pool I will never use. I will not pay for a sports deck I will never use. I will not pay for gentlemen hosts I will never use. I will not pay for crafts people I will never use. I will not pay for flowers that I am allergic to. I will not pay for shows I will never see. I will not pay ...
:D Very, very well said.....You expressed my feelings exactly....

....:confused: Why would you say Mark Conroy stated that ???....To state that the people who run excursions (Apollo) do not care about regular cruisers seems a bit ridiculous... Repeat cruisers are the backbone of any successful cruise line....I do not believe that Frank Del Rio or Mark Conroy are insensitive to their customer base....They would need to be much less than normal in intellegence to believe so....I am sorry I broke my promise to myself not to respond to any posts that I felt were falsely stated or just over the top.....:(

Well, in keeping with your broken promise not to respond to any posts that you feel were falsely stated or just over the top. . . . . I will do the same by responding to your post. Wow -- what an attack!

Please reread my post. I did not say that Mark Conroy "stated" that. I said "pretty much stated". This was based on the fact that whenever a question was brought up about current and past passengers, the answer was changed to discuss new passengers and new policies.

According to the blogger, there was a definite disconnect between Regent and current/past passengers on the following subjects:

The 200% single supplement.

The "new" Concierge Program

Current Seven Seas Society benefits

Since I was not on the ship with Mark Conroy, I am posting second hand information. While I have the utmost respect for the blogger, there is no reason anyone reading this thread should or should not believe it.

In terms of the poll, only the person who put up the poll knows who voted. I did not vote until yesterday. Others voted when the Concierge Program was first announced and they may have not thought it through. Are the voters new to Regent or long term customers? Based on the fact that only 5% of Regent customers view CruiseCritic, this could mean that 95% of their customers do not know about this new policy (if it really is a new policy since it has been pulled from Seatrade Insider.)

Well, in keeping with your broken promise not to respond to any posts that you feel were falsely stated or just over the top. . . . . I will do the same by responding to your post. Wow -- what an attack!

Please reread my post. I did not say that Mark Conroy "stated" that. I said "pretty much stated". This was based on the fact that whenever a question was brought up about current and past passengers, the answer was changed to discuss new passengers and new policies.

According to the blogger, there was a definite disconnect between Regent and current/past passengers on the following subjects:

The 200% single supplement.

The "new" Concierge Program

Current Seven Seas Society benefits

Since I was not on the ship with Mark Conroy, I am posting second hand information. While I have the utmost respect for the blogger, there is no reason anyone reading this thread should or should not believe it.

In terms of the poll, only the person who put up the poll knows who voted. I did not vote until yesterday. Others voted when the Concierge Program was first announced and they may have not thought it through. Are the voters new to Regent or long term customers? Based on the fact that only 5% of Regent customers view CruiseCritic, this could mean that 95% of their customers do not know about this new policy (if it really is a new policy since it has been pulled from Seatrade Insider.)

....:confused: tc2....You live in a different world and obviously speak a different language than I.....Maybe you will get another open letter from either Mr. Del Rio or Mr. Conroy......

....:confused: tc2....You live in a different world and obviously speak a different language than I.....Maybe you will get another open letter from either Mr. Del Rio or Mr. Conroy......

'

Apparently we have found something upon which we agree! BTW, when I have something to say to Regent/PCH, I prefer to do so privately (and that works both ways).

'

Apparently we have found something upon which we agree! BTW, when I have something to say to Regent/PCH, I prefer to do so privately (and that works both ways).

.....I am sorry I forgot that not only do you only cruise in Penthouse suites (You have often let us know this.) but also Mark Conroy and Frank Del Rio have you on their speed dials....As a cruiser that has never enjoyed either a Penthouse suite nor a personal call from the CEO of the company, I salute you and if we happen to meet I will make certain that I kneel......I see that those who do not care about the concierge program represent 54% of the respondents

Thats still only a small majority and nothing to jump up and down about!

What those numbers do show is a decent split.

Regardless what side of the debate your on it is obvious this will have an effect on how people view and define the Regent product.

What is interesting to me is the number of very loyal RSSC bread and butter clients here who are now questioning the change.

The people who the change is aimed at (mass market suite cruisers)

will not provide the same dollar value to Regent as their regular luxury clients do already.

Most of these cruise multiple times a year or for more lenghty times at sea.

I think Regent is taking a gamble.

They risk true luxury cruisers moving to pecieved true luxury brands where all are treated equally.

Big money always likes its exclusivity.

Archived