POLL- Concierge Programme

OrpingtonT

How likely are to to cruise with Regent after April, 2012?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are to to cruise with Regent after April, 2012?

• Not at all likely, it's a deal breaker.
    • Probably not.
    • Probably will.
    • Very likely, it makes no difference

As many of the primary posters (over 30% of the posters on this thread) TA posted on another board...here this best selling Regent TA's recent (a few minutes ago) advice:

"I urge everyone to WAIT and see what the situation really is rather than getting upset about something that is not even clear yet.

Speculation is not fact. NOTHING has been officially announced and everything that is being discussed at this time is simply speculation."

While the last statement is true, the new guidelines were posted earlier this week. The full policy was due to be announced today, but, for some reason was not (according to the same source referred to above).

I have no problem taking a wait and see attitude. Just hope that Regent remembers that prices go up on many itineraries next week. It would be helpful to know the policy in detail before the prices go up on many itineraries April 1st. No doubt there are many people who have yet to book their 2012 cruises and are hoping to do so early next week.

While the last statement is true, the new guidelines were posted earlier this week. The full policy was due to be announced today, but, for some reason was not (according to the same source referred to above).

I have no problem taking a wait and see attitude. Just hope that Regent remembers that prices go up on many itineraries next week. It would be helpful to know the policy in detail before the prices go up on many itineraries April 1st. No doubt there are many people who have yet to book their 2012 cruises and are hoping to do so early next week.

I think we all agree that Regent did post a new info page on the proposed concierge program.

Why is it so important to keep beating this to death? Even if it comes to fruition as it was described, believe it or not, life will go on and Regent cruisers will still cruise.

This will not affect me at all. I have discovered a long time ago that you always have a choice to pay more and get more...scams or fraud notwithstanding.

This should have the same effect with the new, proposed policy. I personally think that once one can afford to sail regularly on luxury ships, they are astute enough to understand that there are different levels of service and they pick and choose what they want to pay for. I don't see this as being stratified. Same with restaurants or wine or...

You keep mentioning the success with changing the dress code on Regent. I was always in favor of casual, however this idea doesn't sit well with Crystal...which is but one of the many reasons we will never sail with them again.....Those who want Pomp and Circumstance will go with them and fortunately leave the rest us to sail on Regent.

Wendy - Our march 18th 2012 cruise is the same - 75 days prior...

Okay, interesting, since yours is before "the change", and ours is after. So what they'll probably do is make some bookings available to those in the higher cabins 100 days out, or something like that. I've read on the other board, that this would be how it works--extra bookings *before* the cruise, not *on* the cruise. We'll see how it works, I'm sure, when the details get published.

Can someone point me to that page please? How can we "all agree", when all we've heard is hearsay.

My TA sent me this...

Are you suggesting that they will take away my Gold perks...Do you think they would be foolish enough to do this to anyone?

New Regent Seven Seas Cruises Concierge Program

Guests booking suite categories E and above on Seven Seas Voyager and Seven Seas Mariner and category D and above on Seven Seas Navigator will receive the following services:

*priority specialty restaurant reservations - 25% off premium purchased wines & liquors

*priority spa reservations - 10% off pre-or-post hotel or land packages

*priority embarkation - space available upgrades at time of sailing

*priority luggage delivery - complimentary binoculars

*15 min. worth of free phone calls per suite - complementary Regent Seven Seas tote bag

*one free hour of internet per suite - printed air boarding passes

If you Google "Regent Seven Seas Concierge Program" you'll find an announcement by Seatrade Insider that was made March 16th. However, when you click on it you will find that it has been removed. Interesting!

Responder: In order for some people to make 2012 bookings, it is important to know if these changes are going into effect. Last night I stated that we were willing to wait a few days for Regent to make it's "official" announcement and then I went to bed. Yet, this morning (Pacific time) I see the thread continues. Obviously this is not something that will go away until the answers come forth. It is nice that these changes do not affect you. . . . . nor do they personally affect me. However, it potentially will have a negative effect on others and how Regent is perceived in the marketplace.

I suppose the biggest thing that some posters do not understand is that we care about Regent. If we didn't give a darn we would simply leave and go to another cruise line (as has been suggested over and over). Regent management does understand this and knows that many of it's customers are quite outspoken and will voice our opinions strongly on CruiseCritic.

Yes, we definitely need to wait and see when and if the full announcement is forthcoming.

Meanwhile, I just have this mental picture of Platinum cruisers being told they can't board until 3 p.m. Doesn't wash. Nor does waiting longer for their luggage. Nor does not being able to book online restaurant seats with their friends who have higher cabin classifications. I'm just a lowly Gold, and I wait quite long enough for my luggage, thank you very much.

It is nice that these changes do not affect you. . . . . nor do they personally affect me. However, it potentially will have a negative effect on others and how Regent is perceived in the marketplace.

I suppose the biggest thing that some posters do not understand is that we care about Regent. If we didn't give a darn we would simply leave and go to another cruise line (as has been suggested over and over). Regent management does understand this and knows that many of it's customers are quite outspoken and will voice our opinions strongly on CruiseCritic.

Firstly, who would listen to anyone suggesting over and over that we leave Regent and go to another line. I suspect that most of us have tried other lines and with the exception of finding a more favorable itinerary, don't consider leaving.

To answer the question about how Regent is perceived in the marketplace, how in the world can people listen to others whom they don't know and make a decision. Isn't that how politicians get elected as they do? Do we want that system for our leisure time? This will sort itself out in the marketplace and I believe that as hard as we try, you or I won't change the perception that people have of Regent. They need to try it and decide for themselves..especially since all this time we really have no idea of what is going down or how it will play out.

Unless I'm mistaken, the worse case penalty if you cancel before 121 days before cruise time is $100pp. If that is a deal breaker related to the cost of almost any cruise on any luxury line, then they might want to sail on a ferry boat.

Unless I'm mistaken, the worse case penalty if you cancel before 121 days before cruise time is $100pp. If that is a deal breaker related to the cost of almost any cruise on any luxury line, then they might want to sail on a ferry boat.

Just to keep the record straight, cruisers come from other countries than the USA. Here in the UK we put down a hefty deposit (15 to 29%) which is forfeited if we cancel plus a sliding scale of cancellation fees the closer to departure. Thus we cannot lightheartedly book and change our minds later.

Just to keep the record straight, cruisers come from other countries than the USA. Here in the UK we put down a hefty deposit (15 to 29%) which is forfeited if we cancel plus a sliding scale of cancellation fees the closer to departure. Thus we cannot lightheartedly book and change our minds later.

Are you saying that the penalties and forfeit times are different in other countries?

My current invoices in the USA...show only $100pp if canceled before 121 days of cruising. Just took a look at their site and I see the following....

=====

Cancellation Policy:

All cancellations must be in writing. The following cancellation charges will be assessed for all written cancellations received prior to departure up to the scheduled time of departure.Cruises less than or equal to 25 nights in length (combo sailings to be based on combined length of sailing)

From date of deposit to 121 days prior to vacation date: $200 per booking administration fee. This admin fee will be converted to a Future Cruise Credit redeemable on bookings made up to 12 months after cancellation and for travel any time.

120-91 days prior to vacation date: 15% of fare per person

90-51 days prior to vacation date: 50% of fare per person

50-31 days prior to vacation date: 75% of fare per person

30-0 days prior to vacation date: 100% of fare per person

Cruises greater than or equal to 26 nights in length (combo sailings to be based on combined length of sailing)

From date of deposit to 151 days prior to vacation date: $500 per booking administration fee. This admin fee will be converted to a Future Cruise Credit redeemable on bookings made up to 12 months after cancellation and for travel any time.

150-121 days prior to vacation date: 25% of fare per person

120-91 days prior to vacation date: 50% of fare per person

90-76 days prior to vacation date: 75% of fare per person

75-0 days prior to vacation date: 100% of fare per person

You are so right -- the penalties are so much more strict where you are! That is one of the many reasons why Regent needs to clarify this prior to the increases. I'm fairly confident that all will be explained early next week.

Are you saying that the penalties and forfeit times are different in other countries?

Yes.

Cancellation Charges for all Cruises

Booking date up to 70 days 20% (Loss of Deposit)

69 - 30 days 25% of holiday price

29 - 15 days 50% of holiday price

14 - 0 days 100% of holiday price

For bookings made from 1st March 2011 and with effect from the following sailing dates: *VOY28NOV2011, *MAR06JAN2012, *NAV28NOV2011

Booking date up to 90 days Loss of Deposit

89 - 30 days 50% of holiday price

29 - 15 days 75% of holiday price

Cancellation charges are strictly enforced.

Yes.

Booking date up to 70 days 20% (Loss of Deposit)

69 - 30 days 25% of holiday price

29 - 15 days 50% of holiday price

For bookings made from 1st March 2011 and with effect from the following sailing dates: *VOY28NOV2011, *MAR06JAN2012, *NAV28NOV2011

Booking date up to 90 days Loss of Deposit

89 - 30 days 50% of holiday price

29 - 15 days 75% of holiday price

Cancellation charges are strictly enforced.

Is there some logic to this?

Is there some logic to this?

There are laws -- some of them quite complex relating to general travel, travel agents, cancelled cruises, etc. in different countries. Perhaps someone can suggest a book that would clarify it for you.

In the real world, as I am sure you are aware. . . . . there is something called "grandfathering". My DH and I reeive retirement health benefits from his former employer even though people hired during the past 10-15 years do not. The company respects and recognizes the commitment of their long term employees.

IMO, there is absolutely no reason why Regent cannot grandfather those loyal customers who are gold and above. They should be entitled to early boarding and early dining reservations. This is not a huge deal, but, could save the reputation and customers of Regent.

Is this really too much to ask?

Do you want to make absolutely certain that no new cruisers choose to cruise on Regent?

"Grandfathering in" will certainly achieve that.

It's a very bad idea.

Do you want to make absolutely certain that no new cruisers choose to cruise on Regent?

"Grandfathering in" will certainly achieve that.

It's a very bad idea.

Actually if you'd invested 125 nights at $1000 a night on average per person for two people that would be $250,.000 A COUPLE for cruising on Regent. They reward you for doing that by saying we are happy you have made that investment in our product. But we no longer care about you because we have found other people who will pay to try us so we are going to take away our gift for your no longer valued loyalty. If you want to cruise with us and have early boarding and some internet and telephone time, well pay for a higher level cabin and we ill give you 15 minutes for your cabin instead of the three hours we used to give you. And the internet that was unlimited is now $250 for your cruise segment. Have a good cruise.

So tell me, what's the better idea? Send away loyal clients to other cruise lines or keep them happy and sailing with you.

Have you had "grandfathering" at Regent up to now? No.

Have you returned to Regent anyway? Yes.

Of course a cruise line must show that they value loyal customers, but to "grandfather them in" to benefits that future clients will NEVER receive (that's what a grandfather clause does) regardless how many nights they cruise in the future is absurd.

I agree that we will receive factual information this coming week. I also think (could be wishful thinking) that this program is being reevaluated and input from their customers continues to be considered. So, perhaps sitting around and waiting isn't as good as continuing to dicuss it.

gillianrose: hi -- haven't seen you on this board for a long time. Since I've only sailed with Regent since 2004, I cannot think of a time when grandfathering could have been used. We started with Radisson prior to it becoming all-inclusive and have always seen Regent add benefits to our experience rather than take them away (of course we keep paying more and more money for the experience).

Ideally, I would like to see the entire idea of the "Concierge Program" be dumped. According to our TA, they want to fill those "D" and "E" cabins. Every time we sail, the ship is full. They seem to fill the ships by offering the discounted upgrades. It must get to the point where it is not possible to get customers to upgrade to the same size cabin with no additional benefits. I don't see a problem with adding benefits to certain cabin classes. These benefits, however, do not have to include the Oceania policies that are not used on luxury cruise lines.

If Oceania wanted to enter the luxury market, I'd applaud the decision as they have some of the most beautiful ships at sea. Regent employees and customers can be a model for them to follow.

Rachel - I agree with you! I have actually done a cost comparison spreadsheet on Regent, Seabourn and Silversea (and I threw in HAL for curiosity's sake!).

Regent, with the Gold perks that we have, came out the most economical when viewing similar length cruises etc. If the Internet was taken away I think it would be close between Regent and Silversea.

BUT - there has been no suggestion (except from CC posters!) that the new Concierge Class (if it happens!) will replace the SSS. I think we have to wait and see what is actually announced.

Archived