Does Celebrity allow crew members to smoke?

karent12

I found this on the Celebrity employment site:

When off duty, employees are allowed to smoke in the designated smoking areas. Smoking in crew cabins is prohibited.

Crew cabins are several decks below where passenger cabins are so you would never have to worry about that.

I wouldn't worry as passengers are not allowed to be in the crew areas so the chance of you being near is unlikely.

To answer your question, I don't know for sure but I highly doubt it.

Apart from the fire risk most crew members have to share cabins and I'm sure that there would be many (smokers included) who would object to having someone smoking in the area where they have to sleep.

They probably have an area where they are allowed to smoke such as a crew bar.

I was a crew member on X and YES smoking everywhere in crew areas! Nobody said something! My room mate smoked like crazy in the cabin!

Was this an attempt at humor? I don't get it. :confused:

Before Celebrity became enlightened and began leading the way with modern smoking polices -- it was usually the ship's officers that made the Cova Cafe uninhabitable on the Mercury.

We are looking forward to our first Celebrity cruise in a couple of years in September.

If Celebrity allows the crew members to smoke, can they smoke in their cabins? I am very sensitive and would not want to be near.

Yes, the crew can smoke but their cabins are not near passenger

cabins so it won't affect you and as far as smoking in the cabin,

I believe it is no longer permitted.

Simon, you are correct, they have a crew bar/quarters/etc. Many of

the crew are smokers but they can't ever smoke on duty anyway so

none of us would be affected by it.

why would anyone care if crew members smoked. When on princess when talking to head waiter he told me more then half of the crew smoked. If they want to smoke so what as long as it does not affect you. Dont visit the far east cause everyone smokes.

February 2010 we were situated in the furthermost forward room, just outside the door to the officer's quarters and the bridge, I think, was one floor above. It was obvious alot of smoking was going on in those areas. Luckily there was no "seepage" into our cabin, and the steward spent a good amount of type deodorizing the carpet just outside our door.

If you take a bridge tour it will be obvious to you that smoking occurs there. Just not when YOU are there. But the ashtrays are present.

...If you take a bridge tour it will be obvious to you that smoking occurs there. Just not when YOU are there. But the ashtrays are present.
I know when US airlines ceased allowing passengers to smoke, pilots were still allowed to smoke [not sure if this is still the case]. I assume the theory was that smoking was a lesser evil than crashing the plane:eek:

As far as anyone caring whether crew smoke, I don't care what a consenting adult does as long as it doesn't affect me. I encounter some people whose clothes reek of smoke, but like SusieV I have never had a issue of smelling smoke on a Celebrity crew member.

Thom

Dont visit the far east cause everyone smokes.

I think that this is changing! We finished our last cruise in Hong Kong and I was SO surprised to see that there is not only no smoking in buildings but also in many outside areas - for example, along the Avenue of the Stars which would certainly not be a no smoking area in the UK.

Sue

Archived