American Breakfast in Rome?

bovs

Any veteran travelers in Rome I could use your help in answering a question. We are staying three days pre-cruise in Rome, and were wondering if there is anyplace there that serves a regular American style breakfast of eggs, bacon, and toast? I'm not into sweet pastry and juices. Are there any restaurants that serve this? How about "real" American coffee, not Coffee Americano? Thanks. :cool:

Your hotel may not serve "American" breakfast, but in addition to the pastries will likely also provide bread, meat and cheese to make yourself a non-sweet breakfast sandwich that will carry you over until lunch.

I can't help you on the coffee though. I think an espresso or a cappuccino is much nicer than a cup of American coffee. :)

You can try the McDonald's at the Termini. They have American style menu.

There is another McDonald's in the heart of Rome that is the nicest one I've ever seen. I wish I could remember exactly where it is. Some of you who have also been there might be able to give directions to it!:)

There is another McDonald's in the heart of Rome that is the nicest one I've ever seen. I wish I could remember exactly where it is.

Are you referring to the one near the Spanish Steps?

Lew

There is another McDonald's in the heart of Rome that is the nicest one I've ever seen. I wish I could remember exactly where it is. Some of you who have also been there might be able to give directions to it!:)

That is the one at the bottom of the Spanish Steps. LOTS of marble floors and steps.

The OPs post makes me ask the question, "why are you going to Italy." We are not trying to be flipant but one of the reasons most folks travel is to experience the local culture, cuisine, sites, etc. Sure, you can get eggs and ham (American style bacon is a maybe) but you can get that at home. As to coffee, everyone in Italy now serves "Cafe Americano" but you are in a country that invented cappucino, espresso, etc. Why not try to enjoy some local specialties and catch-up with the American food when you are in America?

Hank

The OPs post makes me ask the question, "why are you going to Italy." We are not trying to be flipant but one of the reasons most folks travel is to experience the local culture, cuisine, sites, etc. Sure, you can get eggs and ham (American style bacon is a maybe) but you can get that at home. As to coffee, everyone in Italy now serves "Cafe Americano" but you are in a country that invented cappucino, espresso, etc. Why not try to enjoy some local specialties and catch-up with the American food when you are in America?

Hank

Well said. I agree.

Rome is lousy with McDonald's, unfortunately. There is one on Corso Emmanule, in the piazza across from the Pantheon, near the Trevi fountain, near the Cavour metro stop ...

Any veteran travelers in Rome I could use your help in answering a question. We are staying three days pre-cruise in Rome, and were wondering if there is anyplace there that serves a regular American style breakfast of eggs, bacon, and toast? I'm not into sweet pastry and juices. Are there any restaurants that serve this? How about "real" American coffee, not Coffee Americano? Thanks. :cool:

Hotels that cater to Americans will usually have scrambled eggs in their breakfast buffet. We stayed in one such hotel in Tuscany this fall and their attempts at bacon were humorous ... but they kept trying, to their credit.

If breakfast is an important meal for you, you might consider renting an apartment so you can cook for yourself, because you are bound to be disappointed by what you'll be able to find in restaurants.

By the way, for a good giggle, try and explain pancakes to an Italian.

Hank

I agree with you, Hank! I don't even eat at McDonald's in the U.S. I would much rather try some authenic Italian food! We do stop at McDonald's for a restroom break and I sometimes buy a drink there. :)

Hank

my thoughts, exactly.

We stayed at the Hotel Abruzzi which is by the Pantheon and were very happy with their breakfast buffet. They gave us vouchers for a near by restaurant that was open to anyone. I can’t remember the name though, sorry. Maybe you can email the hotel and ask?

Anyway they had the best scrambled eggs and bacon, ham and various other meats. They also had cereals, a million types of pastries, fruit, I think yogurts, etc. I don’t drink coffee so I can’t comment on that, but others in our group seemed to like it.

I was worried about breakfast since I can't eat wheat, but had no trouble filling up.

HTH.

Even if you find a restaurant that has these items, remember you are in Rome. They still aren't going to be like you would get here in the States.

Good luck on the toast. Most of Europe (Italy included) prefer hard crusted rolls. I find them hard to eat. Even for sandwiches, it was hard to find regular bread.

I think you would be safest with McDonalds.

I understand what the OP is looking for. I have to have protein for breakfast, not sugary sweet pastries. They make my blood sugar soar and then drop.

We were fortunate in that we stayed at Hotel Cosmopolita and they had a wide variety of breakfast dishes. Not like an American breakfast, but close. I was able to get scrambled eggs, ham, breakfast cereals hot and cold and fruit.

OP, where are you staying? Most Italian hotels serve more than pastries and juice in the morning. I've stayed at a variety of hotels from high-end to budget in Rome and have always been able to find non-sweet bread, cheeses, and various salami if you need protein. Most of the hotels also had some type of eggs, whether scrambled, hard-boiled, etc. Yoghurt is also often available.

Bacon? Can't help you on that one.

P.S. I've always found cappucino to be a perfect mate to breakfast, which is what it was designed for. A great many hotels provide them at no charge during breakfast. Then, after I've had my breakfast and am ready to get underway for the day, I'll stop at the closest coffee bar and have an espresso to really jump start me. Mmmm, love espresso.....

Hank

Sorry to offend you, Hank, with my question, but seeing as we will be there for 12 meals, I thought it would be nice to have at least one with a regular breakfast. I enjoy Italian pasta and love the wine, but I am not a morning sweetroll, fruit, and juice guy. We look forward to eating their food, but I guess I will have to wait until we board ship to have at least one meal of eggs and bacon and toast. I don't think McDonalds has that as well, as most of their breakfast meals are egg sandwiches of one sort or another. As for liking regular American coffee, I don't believe I'm alone in that. "Coffee Americano" is not regular American coffee, as many disappointed Americans have discovered. If we all liked the same thing, we'd be pretty boring.:cool:

Hotels that cater to Americans will usually have scrambled eggs in their breakfast buffet. We stayed in one such hotel in Tuscany this fall and their attempts at bacon were humorous ... but they kept trying, to their credit.

If breakfast is an important meal for you, you might consider renting an apartment so you can cook for yourself, because you are bound to be disappointed by what you'll be able to find in restaurants.

By the way, for a good giggle, try and explain pancakes to an Italian.

----------------------

Thanks E-C, for your suggestions. My wife is a diabetic, so we have to be careful what we eat, of course. My first wife was Italian, and I love Italian foods, as her entire family made wonderful Italian meals from scratch. We have our own wine cellar, so are looking forward to those as well. I will be sure to ask about the pancakes. Thanks for your reply.:D

You're welcome bovs. I once had an Italian tutor, a woman who was born and raised in Sicily and educated in Bologna. She came to the US with her husband in the late 1980's and had not been back to Italy more than once or twice since then. We got to talking about breakfast once and she insisted that things like cereal were unknown to Italians. I told her that wasn't true anymore, but she had a hard time believing it.

Grocery stores carry some American brands (Special K is one I remember seeing last month in Naples) and Italian versions of American products like corn flakes, rice crispies, and even cocoa krispies. I'll admit that I bought a box of one of the sugary cereals last month and one of the guys stocking shelves actually told me not to buy it, that it wasn't good for my family!

Archived