Meet & Greet Mingling

JimandStan

Cruise Critic M&G's vary a great deal from cruise to cruise, and I'm sure that we would all enjoy hearing about "new" ways of getting the members to introduce themselves, or of encouraging conversation.

Tell us all about those clever parlor games that you lifted from your last seminar ;)

Sitting in a large circle (rather than tables of 4 each) and using a mike to introduce ourselves with name, CC name and where we are from.

That way we can put faces to the names we know from CC roll call.

BTW, this is how it was done on Azamara (+ some officers).

We had a relatively small group get together so for each state or territory I purchased a small flag from their respective area and made a table arrangement. Everybody could find us in Horizons and we all had fun guessing the state or territory from the flags.

The flags were easily packed and didn't weigh very much, also packed a light plastic bowl and floral foam. Of course my husband just shakes his head and wonders what will be next : )

Jill

What a fun idea!

BTW, have any of you ever organized fellow passengers to go on tour with you AT the CC meeting?.

We've never had the nerve to wait that long, but being that spontaneous does appeal!

We have not actually connected with anyone for a tour at the meet and greet. However, we have been "spontaneous" on a few occasions when the ports were small or close in. Several times we have met people at dinner, happy hour etc. and decided to share a cab the following day. It has always worked out well. Cab sharing is so cheap and flexible. We had good luck in Monaco, Taeromina, Malta to name a few. We do enough research to know what we want to see but are always delighted by the surprises that locals love to share about their own city/country.

This method doesn't replace pre-planned tours with private companies. We do like to use private tours when venturing some distance from the actual port. It also depends on which country we are in. Never used Egyptian cabs!

We had a relatively small group get together so for each state or territory I purchased a small flag from their respective area and made a table arrangement. Everybody could find us in Horizons and we all had fun guessing the state or territory from the flags.

The flags were easily packed and didn't weigh very much, also packed a light plastic bowl and floral foam. Of course my husband just shakes his head and wonders what will be next : )

Jill

Another absolutely delightful idea!

I always think that the best introductory gambits are the ones where you "accidentally" learn a little something in the process.

I'm reminded, though, of the VERY early days of Cruise Critic, when we used to pack and carry dozens of magnetic sleeves for those Cruise Critic Door signs.

blocks_image_3_1.png

I must say that they made for great fun when walking down a shipboard hallway.

BTW, have any of you ever organized fellow passengers to go on tour with you AT the CC meeting?

Well, I met people at Polo when we shared a table at dinner that I recruited to fill two spots left on a fellow cruiser's tour to Florence the next day because some other bums dropped out that afternoon! (That was on our Enchanted Escapade with you.)

I'm reminded, though, of the VERY early days of Cruise Critic, when we used to pack and carry dozens of magnetic sleeves for those Cruise Critic Door signs.

I must say that they made for great fun when walking down a shipboard hallway.

YIKES :eek:

I have only seen 1 door sign on Oceania

Thank goodness ;)

Lyn

YIKES :eek:

I have only seen 1 door sign on Oceania

Thank goodness ;)

Lyn[/QUOT

Our only experience with the dreaded door signs was on one of our b/bs last May which had a college group on board who thought they were on a Mass Market line.

On our deck the housekeeping staff removed the signs as soon as they appeared.:D

I have been on O for only two cruises, with three more coming up.:) DH and I were never invited to a meet and mingle, although on Azamara the cruise director always arranged for CC meet and greet get-togethers, complete with drinks and hors d'ouvres. Did I miss out, or are the O meet and mingles only on certain cruises? Are they hosted by the cruise line?

Harriet

I have been on O for only two cruises, with three more coming up.:) DH and I were never invited to a meet and mingle, although on Azamara the cruise director always arranged for CC meet and greet get-togethers, complete with drinks and hors d'ouvres. Did I miss out, or are the O meet and mingles only on certain cruises? Are they hosted by the cruise line?

Harriet

You need to contact your fellow pax on the "O" "Roll Call" thread for your particular voyage so they will know you are with them. Someone on the thread usually takes charge and organizes the meeting.;);)

Did I miss out, or are the O meet and mingles only on certain cruises? Are they hosted by the cruise line?

Harriet

Join the Roll call for your cruises

As David said someone usually organizes a M & G

The cruise line does not do it

Lyn

For our upcoming cruise to Alaska on 8/26, I volunteered to arrange the M & G in Martinis the day after we sail. Even agreed to get those "peel & stick" name tags. Horizons just didn't cut it for our group.

Regarding the CC door posters, don't understand why it so upsets people. If I had one on my door and housekeeping took it down, I would have someone's head. The people who complain about them should cruise Cunard. That line is the the height of snobbery & class warfare.

Regarding the CC door posters, don't understand why it so upsets people.

They are ugly, for one, and they can be seen as advertising/marketing of Cruise Critic, too. Cruise Critic is a business and only a small number of people onboard are members of Cruise Critic.

And leave the housekeeping staff alone. They have plenty of work to do, and if they take down a sign it is because they were told to do so by their managers.

Harriet

Don't worry, Harriet. I'm sure we will set something up for the Alaska cruise. So far we are only a few people so it may just be a "let's go to Horizons at 6pm on the day we sail" kind of arrangement.

I used to arrange these myself on O cruises for the yahoo board but O doesn't seem as willing to help out as they used to be. (The help they gave in the past was distributing invitations, nothing was provided by O ... just the bartenders and a place to meet.)

Mura

For pete's sake (or anyone else's) what a way to get ready for an exceptional O experience.. door signs..who cares and "getting ones own way"??? Again what a way to get set to cruise!!! :(:eek: I/we have had door signs and they bothered no one and we got a couple of notes stuck in behind causing us to meet some great people.:D Looking forward to meet and greet!!!:):):)

I/we have had door signs and they bothered no one and we got a couple of notes stuck in behind causing us to meet some great people.

Was that on Oceania?

I do not think you need door signs to meet great people on Oceania :D

Enjoy

Lyn

Was that on Oceania?

I do not think you need door signs to meet great people on Oceania :D

Enjoy

Lyn

Sorry, guess I wasn't clear.. Might not have connected without the sign was what I meant but who knows??...Meeting neat people is alot of what O is about.

So far, all we've discussed are the introductions.

I'd love to plan something productive, past that. I hear a lot of interest in cabin crawls and in tour sharing; but at some point our social networking becomes entirely social.

So far, all we've discussed are the introductions.

I'd love to plan something productive, past that. I hear a lot of interest in cabin crawls and in tour sharing; but at some point our social networking becomes entirely social.

What more do you need? ;)

Most people are involved in other aspects of the cruise beyond the tours & M & G

If you find people you get on with suggest meeting for drinks/dinner on a specific night

Have a standing time daily for drinks or getting together ..then see who turns up

Lyn

On one of our cruises, another cruise line I must admit, there was a standing invitation to meet in the piano bar before dinner each night. It was a wonderful way to get to know fellow passengers and CC members.

Lets do it. Let the party begin.

Archived