Westerdam 03.18.2012 - Large Group?

bitswithbabies

I just reserved the Westerdam for March 18, 2012. The reservationist said that anytime dining was cancelled for this cruise. Also both early seatings are waitlist only. This is an issue for us because we are sailing with younger children but are willing to work around it.

Has anyone heard of a large group sailing then? Should I be worried? Will a large group affect anything else on the ship besides dining?

We are booked on this cruise also, which we selected for the slightly different itinerary. The Westerdam usually calls at Aruba and Curacao. This sailing goes to Curacao and Bonaire.

I would be terribly disappointed to learn there was a large group booked. Let's hope for the best, and maybe someone will come along with accurate information... so we don't have to "guess" or "suppose" and get in a tizzy for no valid reason. :D

I do hope there are no groups - but no open seating sounds 'fishy' to me. There could be one - I'm sure we will hear - and not all large groups are bad. (in my working days I won cruises and the few people on the ship who were not part of the group would ask our co-ordinator which cruise we were taking next year so they could make sure to catch the ship - so you just never know :) - my type of group would have never shown up on an internet search)

I called ship services today and there is a large group sailing. They cannot say what group it is. She did say that they had four dining times on hold for a total of over 900 people.

I can deal with the dining I am just wondering if anything else will be impacted. I don't want any big surprises.

I called ship services today and there is a large group sailing. They cannot say what group it is. She did say that they had four dining times on hold for a total of over 900 people.

I can deal with the dining I am just wondering if anything else will be impacted. I don't want any big surprises.

Thank you for posting this information. I am concerned that a group that large will impact our cruise. I would be very disappointed to find, for example, the Crows Nest closed for a "group function" at the same time we were wishing for a cocktail there.

I'll have to discuss this with our TA (who just returned from her own cruise on the NA and needs some time to settle in before I bother her about a cruise over a year off...) and see what info and advise she may have for us.

900 in a group -- that is nearly 1/2 of the passengers

i think i would be cancelling that cruise

I'm thinking I agree with you... and will probably do just that. Unfortunately, I was really looking forward to this particular sailing because it went to Curacao and Bonaire (instead of Aruba). Sigh. :(

I'd see if you could find out what group it is. If it happens to a reward for performance there will be few meetings and probably a very fun group.

On the other hand, other groups can be downers.

I only mention this as my first cruises were 'rewards' for performance. There were few meetings - just early in the a.m. and as far as I know little from the ship was tied up.

If this is the cruise you like it's probably worth checking before you cancel. JMO though

I booked this cruise during our recent cruise on the Eurodam and requested Early Main dining. The confirmation stated Main dining confirmed, but not Early Dining. When I contacted HAL about the early dining they added us to the wait list for Early Dining.

If there is a group of 900 on this cruise then I think we are off it!

we have been on cruises where there were 400 - 500 in a group -- and all too often the crow's nest was closed for special cocktail parties

one cruise the showroom was closed all morning an afternoon for one group to watch special movies -- this caused some of the activities to be cancelled as there was only room in various other parts of the ship for a few of the activities -- trust me though -- bingo was not cancelled -- just moved to the crow's nest

• 1 month later...

I haven't heard anything about a large group but when I first booked this cruise, Anytime Dining was not available. I few weeks ago, I saw that Anytime Dining was available and I called my TA and she was able to confirm my request for Anytime Dining. Good Luck.

I haven't heard anything about a large group but when I first booked this cruise, Anytime Dining was not available. I few weeks ago, I saw that Anytime Dining was available and I called my TA and she was able to confirm my request for Anytime Dining. Good Luck.

Perhaps the group cancelled or changed ships if this is the case. I certainly hope so. Good luck:)

Groups don't tend to bother us, except for the 750 poker players on a HAL cruise a few years back. It was horrible and an experience we'll never forget. They were everywhere and dressed inappropriately and took over the ship. Recently we were on a ballroom dancing cruise and never saw them. I'd like to research and find out who the group was if you could.

Archived