Nieuw Amsterdam March 27-April 3, 2011 Western Caribbean Review

timothy998

I am not sure if Sam was the PG manager or "just" the maitre de, but he called to confirm our reservations and was there when we arrived.

As for shade on the Promenade, it depended upon the sun's location and the direction of the ship...as long as you get a deck chair early on and aren't afraid to move it, you should be able to get shade.

As noted, in GC we went to Stingray City. By far that was our favorite port. The Moby Dick boat had water & "lemonade" in coolers onboard. Both of the private excursions we took (there and in Costa Maya) were very good.

We used HMC tenders there, and lifeboats to tender in at Grand Cayman. We shared Grand Turk with the Carnival Miracle, and Costa Maya with the Ryndam. We shared Grand Cayman with the Pullmantur ship Horizon. At Grand Turk & Costa Maya, the HAL crew handed out cool, moist washcloths to wipe the sweat and grime from our faces and hands...something we didn't see happening for passengers of the Miracle!

Timothy, thank you for your review. We also fly out of OHare and our bags fly free on American since we fly business class. However, I must say that I flew SW last week on a business trip for the first time and the plane's coach seats in the exit row were quite comfortable. However, I hate that SW does not have assigned seats and that it flies only out of Midway which is a farther drive for us.

Hey, timothy998, sounds like you had a terrific time! So did we. Sorry we couldn't make it to the meet & greet. Just sent our review to Cruise Critic so it should appear in a few days. Could have written a short book on this 5+ experience. We were so impressed with Holland America that I don't think we can ever cruise with another line again. We were hoping to take another cruise around the same time next year but alas, it will have to wait until 2013. In the next 1 1/2 years we have two Hawaii vacations and one for Arizona already booked. :pWhat cruise are you looking at for your next one?

Time For Dreaming

Hey, timothy998, sounds like you had a terrific time! So did we. Sorry we couldn't make it to the meet & greet. Just sent our review to Cruise Critic so it should appear in a few days. Could have written a short book on this 5+ experience. We were so impressed with Holland America that I don't think we can ever cruise with another line again. We were hoping to take another cruise around the same time next year but alas, it will have to wait until 2013. In the next 1 1/2 years we have two Hawaii vacations and one for Arizona already booked. :pWhat cruise are you looking at for your next one?

Time For Dreaming

Yes, we had a blast...from start to end. Of course at supper the other night our 12-year old commented "I was disappointed with the presentation of dinner tonight." Sarcastically, of course...and thank goodness for him!

We are not sure when we'll be able to go again...probably in a couple years or so, too. We hope to do something longer than 7 days. I like the 10-14 day cruises on smaller ships that go to some of the islands with smaller ports, and some of the European cruises look great (but airfares for June to Paris this summer are $1400 and up).

I hope we can do a longer Christmas cruise at some point, but we're not sure if we'll be able to manage that given school and sports schedules.

Timothy:

I kind of knew Grand Caymen would be your favorite port Sting Ray citry is quite a place. Did you stop at the Tortuga Rum Factory. I love the Tortuga Rum Cake--original flavor

No, we didn't stop at the rum factory...it was getting past lunchtime and we were wearing out, so just bought our treasures and headed back to the ship. My youngest got a stuffed stingray toy...we had to carry it onto the plane & he took it to show & tell at school this week!

Oh, and our vacation is truly over...Wednesday on her way home from getting the kids from school, DW was T-boned by someone backing out of her driveway. No one is hurt but our van and the other car had some major damage. Blech!

Sorry to hearabout the accident

Thanks...combination cellphone use and making sure the garage door was closing. Sigh. At least the other person had insurance and her company is covering it & getting us a replacement van during the repairs.

Very nice review. Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad your DW is ok..

Thanks...more of a monologue than review. Thanks...DW AND the kids were in the van at the time. Now it's at the shop and the other person's insurer agreed to rent us a comparable van during the repairs...so we're doing okay. Of course, the kids really like the built-in DVD player!

Thank you for the review of your cruise.

Sorry to hear about the accident,..... an unfortunate way to end such a good holiday.

Is it legal to use a cellphone while driving in your country?

There is a hodgepodge of rules and regulations regarding cellphone use. Some places outlaw it entirely, unless you use a hands-free device...so that is your primary "legal" way to use a cellphone while driving.

Archived