Swiss Walking Sticks

Floridiana

We bought Swiss walking sticks in case we have to ascend and descend steep hills like in our rainforest walk on the Caribbean island of St.Vincent. (Did it wthout sticks, was slippery.) Now, we wonder whether security might see them as weapons.

Does anybody have experience with taking them on board of a ship - in the suitcase or in your hands?

We have a walking stick too and it can't be decrease to a size to fit into the suitcase - we had no problem. Last time I wrecked my foot one day before the cruise - I had a cane and it - there was no problem with security.

I'm not familiar with your style though - ours was wood - in a suitcase you could be questioned - but I honestly don't see why it would be a problem.

I'll let more knowledgeable ones chime in. :):)

I googled to see a photo of one. I can see why you are concerned they could be seen as a weapon. In the wrong hands, many things can be used in ways not intended. I don't think they'd let you carry that on a airplane but a ship??? Don't really know.

We have had no problems bringing our walking sticks, which are made of metal, on planes or cruise ships. They are retractable and we just put them in our checked bags. I must admit I was a little nervous about them the first time we tried it, but I guess they're common enough now.

We have packed our walking poles with our checked luggage and had no problem going through airport security at least. Never have taken them on cruise, but we love them for hiking.

We think they are the answer to extend our ability to keep hiking into a few more decades for us. I love their enhanced security giving you a 3-4 point balance which is particularly great when crossing streams. Best of all we think they let us spend more time looking at the scenery rather than always at our feet. Let us know how this works.

Funny you call them "Swiss" walking sticks because certainly 99% of the Swiss were using them on our last hikes there. and we see more and more of them now in the Sierras too. Have fun.

My friend and I have seat canes. They are made of aluminum maybe 3 feet long, won't fit in the suitcase. We carried them, put them on the conveyor belt for security screening, then the flight attendant took then and stored them on the plane. When we de-planed, we asked for them and she gave them back to us, Medical devices are allowed with no extra fees.

I think the walking stick idea is on the right track but they are too heavy, non adjustable and lack shock absorbing ability also they dont offer dynamic stability. The old alpenstock idea was a forerunner of the ice axe Their fixed length and weight are a real problem and compared to what is available they are of marginal use.

I would suggest looking up" trek poles... the sort of look like ski poles but are totaly different in function. The grips are canted and the shafts are adjustable with special tips for grip and adjustable wrist straps.

( this is important because to get a real benifit you need to let you forearm bear the load and not have to have a tight grip with your hands like descending a slope you should not have to grip the poles at all .)

Best of all they can be collapsed and put in a knappsack or suitcase, Leki makes the best from my experience. they weigh about 13 oz per pair and are super strong...

Places like REI and hiking supply have them. cost about 50 to 100 a pair.( best used in pairs to get full benifit):cool:

Ok, the correct term would be Swissgear (red all over, Swiss flag on it, collapsable and adjustable to various heights) shock absorbant trekking poles, bought for about $ 15 each at Gander outdoor store.

Thank you very much for your answers. It helps to know that security will see them as normal hiking gear.

We bought Swiss walking sticks in case we have to ascend and descend steep hills like in our rainforest walk on the Caribbean island of St.Vincent. (Did it wthout sticks, was slippery.) Now, we wonder whether security might see them as weapons.

Does anybody have experience with taking them on board of a ship - in the suitcase or in your hands?

Edited. I was answering for airport security which does see them as a weapon. I'd think they're okay for ship though.

We had a walking stick that we took when flying from Toronto-Zurich via Munich. It wouldn't collapse small enough to fit into our luggage. We were not allowed to take it on board the plane but they wrapped it and put in with our luggage. It didn't make it to Zurich..got lost in Munich. Three days later they taxied it to where we were.. 2 hrs from Zurich. Next flight was a week later to Budapest..you guessed it.. again we were not allowed to take it on the plane and again it did not make it until a day later. Next we were going on a river cruise and it went on board the bus in the hold. Our river cruise left.. our walking stick didn't appear with our luggage and had been mistakenly left on the bus. It caught up to us after we finished the river cruise and were staying in Prague. It did manage to make the return to Toronto! Moral of the story.. make sure it fits into your luggage:)

Mine collapse to 28 inches and are carbon fibre... Dont know anything about SwissGear. I would stick with quality Leki,

or Black Diamond.

They are made for the riggors of mountaineering and heavy load/ severe use... and ultra light. You might compare several brands before you jump...

Archived