Taxi or RC Shuttle

From Fort Lauderdale Airport should we take the Shuttle or a taxi? What has everyone else done. We are going on the Oasis June 4th.:confused:

Taxi, quicker, cheaper. About 7 minutes to port. ;)

Taxi fare is a "car load" rather than individual fare with shuttle.

With shuttle, you have to wait for a bus to fill before it leaves. Taxi leaves right away.

With shuttle, you have 40 or so people getting in line with you for check-in. Taxi, hopefully, you arrive between bus loads.

Take a taxi even if it costs a couple of bucks more.

Tucker in Texas

We just took the airport shuttle in Fort Lauderdale to the Jewel last week, and I wouldn't do it again.

It was about $90 for three of us...and the service was really poor. Upon arrival, we had to wait 45 minutes for the shuttle...("of course they can't just take you", they said) ..then, after boarding, the shuttle made another stop for about 15 minutes.

Plus it was a rather long walk from the baggage carousel - to what seemed like midway to the next terminal...apparently so the shuttle didn't have to make yet another stop. Not real convenient for us, the passengers, to haul our baggage this far though.

Upon departure, it seemed like a free-for-all. So many people trying to get on the shuttle with very little direction or communication from the driver or coordinators. A taxi would have been easier and more relaxing.

For the price of it, I was disappointed with RCI's transfer service.

By the way, you can see the ships from the airport. It's not far at all.

From Fort Lauderdale Airport should we take the Shuttle or a taxi? What has everyone else done. We are going on the Oasis June 4th.:confused:

Be sure to ask for the "flat rate" before getting in the taxi (due sometime to traffic on the off ramp and at the entrance gate to the port you don't want the meter ticking) We usually pay $18.00 inc tip for two of us and four pieces of luggage...Drive time should be about 10 min.

OP - Thank you for asking this question - I was just going to post it myself! Are any of the taxis "vans", or are they all sedans? We will be a party of 5 plus luggage and I was hoping to be together for the transfer. I'd rather avoid the RCI shuttle if at all possible.

When you get to the port what do you do with your luggage? We've always used the RCI shuttle, and they take care of it, so I just wanted to know what to expect if not using the shuttle.

TIA!:)

When you get to the port what do you do with your luggage? We've always used the RCI shuttle, and they take care of it, so I just wanted to know what to expect if not using the shuttle.

The shuttle drive will stop by the porters unload it and the porters will handle it. No worries.

OP - Thank you for asking this question - I was just going to post it myself! Are any of the taxis "vans", or are they all sedans? We will be a party of 5 plus luggage and I was hoping to be together for the transfer. I'd rather avoid the RCI shuttle if at all possible.

Yes there are taxi vans available at the airport/port....Just take your luggage out of the taxi and hand it off to a porter...simple..Just make sure you have already put you luggage tags on..We usually do this at the airport before hailing our taxi.;)

Be sure to ask for the "flat rate" before getting in the taxi (due sometime to traffic on the off ramp and at the entrance gate to the port you don't want the meter ticking) We usually pay $18.00 inc tip for two of us and four pieces of luggage...Drive time should be about 10 min.

Didn't know they offered a "flat rate." In any case, the metered fare will usually be cheaper.

On our recent Oasis cruise we learned the hard way -- take the taxi even if you have to split up. The taxi fare is going to be by the carload, about $12 plus tip. The vans charge $10 bucks per person -- more if they don't get the full 10 people the van will hold. PLUS -- DO NOT BE FOOLED BY ANY "DISPATCHER" WHO TELLS YOU HE WILL PUT JUST YOUR PARTY IN THE VAN -- you and your luggage will get in the van, and then the driver will refuse to leave until he gets however many additional passengers are necessary to reach 10 people. That is EXACTLY what happened to us. But it could have been worse -- the same 'dispatcher' told us that the fare would go down to $9 if we paid him in advance rather than the driver -- what exactly do you think would have happened if we'd taken him up on that? Right -- we'd have gotten to the airport and the driver would have demanded payment. Trust me, you are better off taking two taxis than trying to use a van.

As for what to do with your luggage, don't worry. The minute your cab pulls up there will be porters all over the place ready to take your luggage.

Go Airport Shuttle operates from the Fort Lauderdale airport. They are

about $12pp to the pier plus gratuity. Its cheaper than a yellow cab if you are alone but you have to find the Go Shuttle stand at your terminal which can be a walk if you have lugage. Then you have to wait for a van that is going there and they have vans going everywhere but you still have

to wait.

Personally, I would not bother. For a few bucks more (I think it was $15 on the meter and I gave a few bucks tip) you can get a yellow cab and not

wait at all! If I was at Fort Lauderdale and going to the Miami Pier

I would wait for a shuttle ($21 to Miami pier vs. $100 for a cab) but in this

situation to Port Everglades I would not save a few bucks only to be

aggravated. Its only 5-10 minutes from the airport.

If you stay at a Fort Lauderdale airport hotel many of them will shuttle you over to the pier for free.

We are flying into Ft Lauderdale and leaving on the Oasis out of Ft Lauderdale pier. Is there a difference from leaving from Ft Lauderdale or Port Everglades. Am I confused or are they different.

FLL is the airport code for the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport. Port Everglades is the name of the pier a few miles away, from which you will be leaving on your cruise. Both are in Fort Lauderdale.

We took the car rental's shuttle to the pier (we had dropped off our rental car at the airport) - it was FREE, left about 3 minutes after we boarded, and it was quick. I would do it again IF they were ready to leave when I got there. ;) Otherwise, I'd take a cab.

We did take a cab from the ship back to the airport. It took about 10 minutes and was just under $20 with tips.

Just a quick note that not all companies participate in the free shuttle. Budget, for instance, does not. We know this from experience.

Great point. I mentioned this in the review I'm in the process of writing, but forgot to add it here. Thanks for sharing. :)

Just a quick note that not all companies participate in the free shuttle. Budget, for instance, does not. We know this from experience.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I am now convinced to take a taxi to the port.

Now are there different cab companies and are there any that are better than the other? Thanks again

Is there a lot of traffic getting into the port everglades? My flight arrive at 1:55pm at FLL airport. I heard that I need to be there at 3:30pm. I'm hoping to get a taxi with my family of 5. Do I have enough time to get to the port without any problem? People said it only takes 10 mins to get to the terminal at the port. Is that true?

Is there a lot of traffic getting into the port everglades? My flight arrive at 1:55pm at FLL airport. I heard that I need to be there at 3:30pm. I'm hoping to get a taxi with my family of 5. Do I have enough time to get to the port without any problem? People said it only takes 10 mins to get to the terminal at the port. Is that true?

Yes, it only took us about 10 minutes (in traffic) to get to the port last week. Good luck!

Thanks. How long did it take you to get a taxi? Is there a long line up at the taxi stand? How much does it cost for a taxi with 5 people? I just want to make sure I don't miss the cruise onboard time (3:30pm).:)

Archived