Princess stopping military obc for august???

cruizer2d

AstroFlyer, DH also first served in Vietnam, so please know that my comments were not a slight to our Vietnam vets. My comments were in response to another poster's that Princess thought that the response to this program was far greater than the ever anticipated, and it was possible that it would not go much longer. To me, it is a wonderful benefit, and one that we very much appreciated on the 5 cruises during which we received it.

However, if it came down to discontinuing it all together, or retaining it for AD and retired only, certainly you can't argue that it wouldn't be preferable to continue it only for AD and retired? That was the point of my comment.

As for being to too sensitive...trust me, I am cut from the same cloth. I am still reeling from being called unpatriotic for opposing a certain recent war at the same time my husband was serving in the US Army training soldiers for that war. I don't think most people in this country know, or even care about the sacrifices of military veterans and their families. Veterans Day has become a day of mattress and furniture sales. It's a true pity.

And how nice it was that Princess (I'm certain due to Mr. Buckelew's influence) decided to start this OBC benefit. But, again, if Princess's potential response is to eliminate the OBC altogether, I would certainly prefer that they retain it for at least a portion of our veteran family, and I suspect you might too.

PescadoAmarillo, first of all thank you very much for your kind & considerate reply to my emotional post.

Most of us know the issues with the Vietnam War so there’s no need to rehash them again & I merely posted my Vietnam vets perspective. However eliminating these benefits would also affect many who served shorter tours of duty from WWII through today’s military personnel.

In my 1st sentence, I probably could have been clearer expressing my agreement with you that if necessary to continue this program it would be better to limit benefits to only active duty & retired military career personnel.

Too many only think about the sacrifices made by our military personnel; however having a public safety career, I fully understand the sacrifices made by families like yours. Those protecting our freedoms could never do it without a loving & suportive family at home. Those families accept our situations & make great sacrifices…ones that deserve just as much thanks as those actively serving. It’s tough on families & not one conducive to an easy way of life.

I am also certain that Mr. Buckelew was instrumental in producing this amazing benefit. My hope is that as the word spreads it will attract even more vets to Princess & despite the OBC that it will be profitable to Princess by increasing bookings…a mutually beneficial program.

During my active board participation since last summer, I have learned many things from CC members. IMO, there’s a core of posters with very informative & useful posts…whether they be very experienced or relatively new CC members. And your posts have been very helpful to me…thanks!

Now it’s time for me to return to exchanging helpful info with the many great CC members discussing our favorite type of trips…CRUISES! :D

AF - and thanks back to you! I'm glad that we were both able to clarify our comments.

First, we have no knowledge that the military OBC is going to be discontinued. It is manna from heaven, to be enjoyed but not expected. But, having spent this afternoon doing yardwork with DH and discussing this very point (as I asked him, "was I wrong?") he assured me that, as a 27 year veteran (4 "military actions" and, since he was in NBC, I didn't see him a whole lot from 9/11 until when he left for Iraq #2, and they didn't let him go until he reached age 60), these are his opinions:

First, keep the benefit as is. It's a wonderful perk, more meaningful to us than our Elite perks (as it is a bit harder to serve in the military than to take 15 cruises). But, if it has to change, do it in this order:

- Discontinue the combined military and CCL OBCs. We are entitled to both, and, as CCL stockholders, would like it to be either/or. Life isn't always fair, and as every 3 year old knows, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit". And, besides, Princess shouldn't have to be writing us a check at the end of a cruise.

- Discontinue the military OBC for vets with less than 20 years.

- Discontinue the military OBC for retired military

- And, finally, discontinue the military OBC for AD. Keep it (always and forever, please) for disabled vets.

Just his (mine too!) humble opinion, of course.

Astro Flyer, thanks for your comments.

The first 42 years of my life was spent associated with the military. As a child ( my father served 35 years), wife (husband 27 years) and mother (son four years in 82nd). I feel I have a very good understanding of what serving our Country entails. My thanks to all Veterans - those on active duty, those retired or disabled, and to the family.

Thanks, Princess, for acknowledging all those who are serving or have served our Country.

It was our understanding that you cannot combine these benefits. So, if you are a shareholder, that cancels out the military? If they do indeed cancel the military, the shareholder benefit is the same. Correct?

AF - and thanks back to you! I'm glad that we were both able to clarify our comments.

First, we have no knowledge that the military OBC is going to be discontinued. It is manna from heaven, to be enjoyed but not expected. But, having spent this afternoon doing yardwork with DH and discussing this very point (as I asked him, "was I wrong?") he assured me that, as a 27 year veteran (4 "military actions" and, since he was in NBC, I didn't see him a whole lot from 9/11 until when he left for Iraq #2, and they didn't let him go until he reached age 60), these are his opinions:

First, keep the benefit as is. It's a wonderful perk, more meaningful to us than our Elite perks (as it is a bit harder to serve in the military than to take 15 cruises). But, if it has to change, do it in this order:

- Discontinue the combined military and CCL OBCs. We are entitled to both, and, as CCL stockholders, would like it to be either/or. Life isn't always fair, and as every 3 year old knows, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit". And, besides, Princess shouldn't have to be writing us a check at the end of a cruise.

- And, finally, discontinue the military OBC for AD. Keep it (always and forever, please) for disabled vets.

I disagree with you about discontinuing the military obc for retired military. These men served many years and deserve the thanks from Princess for the time served. Many were changed because of serving during war-time. If you want them to discontinue the benefit then it should be for people who have NOT retired from the military. It was not an easy life following one's spouse all over the place and going to areas where you never imagined you had to live or would ever want to go back to again. My husband devoted 25+ years to the Air Force and served in SE Asia twice during the Viet Nam era. I worked for the federal government for 25+ years as a civilian and don't expect an OBC nor do I want one. I am just thankful we do get one.

If you have noticed Princess does not write any checks at the end of the cruise. OBCs now vanish if you don't use them.

My humble opinion totally agrees with everything you & your husband said including the order if it's necessary to reduce their costs. As the word spreads to Princess' regular passengers, it has to be a negative cash flow for Princess. My hope is that as non-Princess passengers learn about this program that it will generate more Princess bookings. I wouldn't be hesitant to recommend Princess to anyone & particularly to those who qualify for their Special Military Program. And to be very greatful for anytime that I am able to receive this OBC. :D

At their itinerary summarizing webinar, it was asked if there are any plans to cancel this program & they said no which is encouraging. I believe that it was your suggestion on a post to have a notation on our Captain's Circle account once they know we're qualified. That was a great idea & one that I sent to Princess & they thanked me for your great idea & were forwarding it to their webmaster. That should be a way for Princess to cut their processing costs and hopefully it will be implemented.

I disagree with you about discontinuing the military obc for retired military.

Thank you for your service and your husband's service. Now, please re-read my post, particularly this sentence.

But, if it has to change, do it in this order.

Maybe this one too:

But, having spent this afternoon doing yardwork with DH and discussing this very point (as I asked him, "was I wrong?") he assured me that, as a 27 year veteran (4 "military actions" and, since he was in NBC, I didn't see him a whole lot from 9/11 until when he left for Iraq #2, and they didn't let him go until he reached age 60)...

This topic is hotter than smoking!

Thank you, AF, for your follow-up post. It seems, then, that we are in agreement, but even if we were not, you are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. Part of the beauty of living in this country!!

It was our understanding that you cannot combine these benefits. So, if you are a shareholder, that cancels out the military? If they do indeed cancel the military, the shareholder benefit is the same. Correct?

When it first started, the military OBC and CCL OBC could not be combined. Several months later they changed the policy and if eligible for both, you can have both.

To the person who thought the OP asked this as a April Fools joke--when I asked I didn't know it was 4/1. As I said, I had just gotten off the phone w/ my GF.

I also, am in full agreement that it's nice that Princess does this. But thanks,all, for the answers. I'll let my GF know.

OP- We are also cruising Alaska in August (to celebrate my husband's homecoming from Afghanistan- yay!) and we didn't have any issues getting the OBC credit for military. In fact, it has already been applied to our account (we booked about 2 or 3 weeks ago).

When it first started, the military OBC and CCL OBC could not be combined. Several months later they changed the policy and if eligible for both, you can have both.

This is unbelieviably generous on Princess. I think we missed out on some credit, as I didn't pay attention to it after it first came out since we have always had the shareholder credit. So I don't have to ask needless questions, can someone point out exactly where to go for the guidelines/instructions? Thanks.

This is unbelieviably generous on Princess. I think we missed out on some credit, as I didn't pay attention to it after it first came out since we have always had the shareholder credit. So I don't have to ask needless questions, can someone point out exactly where to go for the guidelines/instructions? Thanks.

Here you go: http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/additional_faq/military_program.jsp

Here's that link to the info:

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/additional_faq/military_program.jsp

I've had better success faxing documents (I made a copy of my DD214 & cut out the SSN portion) & asking them to email a confirmation. It's good to have the confirmation with you just in case there's a snafu. The credit will show up on your Captain's Circle Cruise Personalizer if you book directly with Princess. If not, then have your TA put it on their booking receipt plus bring your email just in case.

You're right...a great progam! :D

I was just checking the boards to see if anybody had updated OBC. We have a cruise scheduled in Sept and last week I thought I would surprise my wife by taking the two night coastal cruise in May. I am not going to tell her that we are going until the morning we leave-The joy of living near SFO. As I was planning this surprise, the OBC for shareholders came to mind followed closely by the military OBC (US Army 33 years). I faxed the info to Princess and my wife got a call asking for a copy of front and back of my ID card. Since she knows about the Sept cruise I was able to claim that the request must be about that. I called the number for Princess and was told that they now have seperate folks working on military OBC than those for Carnival credit. By the end of the day I had received an email telling me that military credit for both cruises had been added. I confirmed that by checking "My Princess". At the time, credit for Carnival stock was not listed. An email confirming that credit arrived on Sunday. Interesting to note that they now have a different fax line for military than the one one used for Carnival Stock. It is great to see $100 in OBC for a two night cruise- Might just cover the bar bill:D

Since the press release talks about 'first or second berths' does anyone know if 2 military members occupying a room would be entitled to the credit in their own right (i.e., $100 pp)?

My understanding is that it is 'per cabin' not per military member booked in that cabin (just as the stockholder credit is), even if both are military only one credit would be applied for both. ;)

Just for some clarification.

I wrote on the CEO's blog asking if this was going to be extended to Brits.

The reply was they were looking into it.

Then as of the 1st of March it is now in place for Brits and Australians.

When speaking to the guy in the UK who organises the Military and Stockholder benefits, he told me that the only thing that is happening is that their systems are being brought inline with the USA.

There is no way that they are starting a benefit in March and spending money to tie it in with the USA and then cancelling it after all the positive publicity this is getting around the world.

Matthew

I should also say, this really works. I for one will only cruise with Princess. I feel I would be mad to look elsewhere when I love the product they provide and I feel like I am treated well for a number of financial reasons.

Military OBC

Shareholder OBC

FCD OBC

Free internet minutes etc...

And since we have made this decision, we will now be buying stock.

Matthew

I should also say, this really works. I for one will only cruise with Princess. I feel I would be mad to look elsewhere when I love the product they provide and I feel like I am treated well for a number of financial reasons.

Military OBC

Shareholder OBC

FCD OBC

Free internet minutes etc...

And since we have made this decision, we will now be buying stock.

Matthew

With all the benefits, it would be hard for us to choose another cruise line. When someone tells us they're looking at cruises, we tell them about the new military veterans credit. I think Princess made a very smart move here.

I hate to disagree with Toto but... Both my husband and I are military veterans--he's retired and I served 4 years, both USMC. I sent our paperwork separately and we each got $100 OBC for our upcoming cruise. We are very appreciative of this nice benefit.

With all the benefits, it would be hard for us to choose another cruise line. When someone tells us they're looking at cruises, we tell them about the new military veterans credit. I think Princess made a very smart move here.

Hopefully it will bring in new passengers to Princess to help offset their expense of their great Military OBC program! :D

I hate to disagree with Toto but... Both my husband and I are military veterans--he's retired and I served 4 years, both USMC. I sent our paperwork separately and we each got $100 OBC for our upcoming cruise. We are very appreciative of this nice benefit.

This would be great if correct. I am having my TA call Princess to confirm. I have been under the assumption that it is per cabin. On my Sapphire cruise this past January, I got the $100 military OBC. I didn't submit anything for my wife since I thought it was offered per cabin. We are scheduled in April 2012 for a 15 day Hawaii cruise on the Star and I already got approved for $250 military OBC. Obviously, if it is per person, I can get another $250 for my wife which would be incredible.

I hope it is per person but either way, we are appreciative of this benefit.

Dan

My TA just confirmed that if both of us in the cabin qualify and we are passengers 1 and 2 in the cabin, we both can request the military OBC, I thought this was a great benefit when I thought it was per cabin but this is even more generous! So, for our Hawaii cruise, we will be able to get $500 in military OBC. That is incredible!

I love Princess!

May one assume, unlike the CCL OBC, that the paperwork for the military OBC can be submitted even before final payment? We have booked cruises into next year and wonder whether to submit the documents so many months in advance. Thanks.

I submitted mine for a cruise in Oct 2012 - this was in addition for a cruise coming up this September.

Archived