rules on drinking

You will have no problems. Even if you are with family and they buy you a drink onboard nobody is going to say anything. Heck, my first cruise I was 14 (New Years Cruise) I was drinking champagne out of the ship served bottles at the new years reception in the 18 and over disco.

Have a good time but dont drink til youre puking, hangovers are not fun at sea ;)

Not necessarily true....There was a thread (I searched but could not find).

Parents purchased a drink for a 19 yr old, bartender even sold a drink to the 19 yr old... he and his 21yr old friend got in a scuffle. Long Story short, all 4 people were kicked off the ship at the next port.

It might be legal to bring alcohol back on board at a port, but it won't be legal to carry it off when you get home.

You will have no problems. Even if you are with family and they buy you a drink onboard nobody is going to say anything. Heck, my first cruise I was 14 (New Years Cruise) I was drinking champagne out of the ship served bottles at the new years reception in the 18 and over disco.

Have a good time but dont drink til youre puking, hangovers are not fun at sea ;)

This has not been our experience! We have found that the staff watches the under 21 crowd very carefully, regardless of who is buying the drinks. In fact, our waiters have carded the kids to confirm they are 21 before serving wine. If you read the cruise contract you will see that it is against the ship's policy.

However, I'm sure some ships are more diligent about enforcing that others.

This has not been our experience! We have found that the staff watches the under 21 crowd very carefully, regardless of who is buying the drinks. In fact, our waiters have carded the kids to confirm they are 21 before serving wine. If you read the cruise contract you will see that it is against the ship's policy.

However, I'm sure some ships are more diligent about enforcing that others.

I'm sure this is true. All I was saying is that if you are sitting with your parents and they buy you a drink and you sit there and drink it responsibly and without any huge ordeal it will be fine. Everyone is citing all this bad stuff that has happened to families but how many 10's of thousands of kids have drank on the cruise ship under 21 with no ill consequences? I'm a strong advocate for responsible drinking and I believe my responsible habits come from the lax attitude of my parents during the 18-21 yr stage of my life.

I'm just telling the kid to not worry, have fun and be responsible.

I'm sure this is true. All I was saying is that if you are sitting with your parents and they buy you a drink and you sit there and drink it responsibly and without any huge ordeal it will be fine. Everyone is citing all this bad stuff that has happened to families but how many 10's of thousands of kids have drank on the cruise ship under 21 with no ill consequences? I'm a strong advocate for responsible drinking and I believe my responsible habits come from the lax attitude of my parents during the 18-21 yr stage of my life.

I'm just telling the kid to not worry, have fun and be responsible.

Oh, I am agreeing with you. I wish I could allow my 20 year old to have a glass of wine or a beer with dinner. Unfortunately, this age group is watched very closely on some ships.

Totally unnecessary, rude and unhelpful comment :mad:

I'll bet most were thinking the same thing, I knew right away sombody would call it out. I was too busy wondering how far into the woods my wireless network could reach. :)

Ship's flag has nothing to do with it.

hmmmmmm - run by that one by me again AH.... What exactly does the ship's flag state mean?

If a Bahamas flagged ship is in port in say, Belize, and the (drunk) passenger in question is American, what laws apply?

If the Bahamas flagged ship is on the high seas, and the passenger is American, what laws apply?

If you're 18 I'd spend more time learning to spell and less worrying about whether or not I can drink.

ahhahhahahaha NO, dont worry about how i spell i work full time then run my own buisness and might manage 4-5hrs of sleep a night and get on here right before i finally get to bed and you wanna start sh##, but there's always going to be people like you posting and there's nothing we can do!!

Exactly. According to 23USC158, the federal minimum drinking age is 21. It requires all states to set the age of 21 as the minimum age for purchasing alcohol and possessing/consuming publicly.
There is no federal minimum drinking age, the name of the act notwithstanding. The federal government doesn't have the authority to make one. (Although, the way the Commerce Clause has been stretched, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried it someday.) They do, however, have the authority to offer incentives to, or coerce depending on your viewpoint, states to set their drinking age to a certain minimum, which is what 23USC158 did.

Not necessarily true....There was a thread (I searched but could not find).

Parents purchased a drink for a 19 yr old, bartender even sold a drink to the 19 yr old... he and his 21yr old friend got in a scuffle. Long Story short, all 4 people were kicked off the ship at the next port.

It might be legal to bring alcohol back on board at a port, but it won't be legal to carry it off when you get home.

That story had so many question marks about it, I wouldn't use it as an example of how careful the bartenders are. I think the general concensus was the over 21 friend was buying the rounds.

Ahhhhhh Good old Brewster and Vista, New York.

The Fore and Aft

Fiddler's Green

"Memories , like the corners of my mind " *LOL*

Hmmm, could it be the northern version of Cole's Point Tavern in MD? ;)

The Fed's control the states' drinking age by threatening to cut of highway funding and other purse strings.

ahhahhahahaha NO, dont worry about how i spell i work full time then run my own buisness and might manage 4-5hrs of sleep a night and get on here right before i finally get to bed and you wanna start sh##, but there's always going to be people like you posting and there's nothing we can do!!

Relax. I happen to think that your spelling could use some improvement, too, but I advise you not to worry about what the posters on this thread are saying about it.

MOST OF THEM have spelling or grammatical errors in THEIR posts.

:rolleyes: :p ;) :D

hmmmmmm - run by that one by me again AH.... What exactly does the ship's flag state mean?

If a Bahamas flagged ship is in port in say, Belize, and the (drunk) passenger in question is American, what laws apply?

If the Bahamas flagged ship is on the high seas, and the passenger is American, what laws apply?

Oh, come on D7. You're looking too much in to my post. ;)

My comment was in reply to someone using a Maltese example vs. ship's rules. What I meant was the ship's flag has nothing to do with the rules of conduct set on board by RCI, in this case, the minimum drinking age.

There is no federal minimum drinking age, the name of the act notwithstanding. The federal government doesn't have the authority to make one. (Although, the way the Commerce Clause has been stretched, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried it someday.) They do, however, have the authority to offer incentives to, or coerce depending on your viewpoint, states to set their drinking age to a certain minimum, which is what 23USC158 did.

Ah, although not criminal, it is a law, is it not?

• 2 weeks later...

Not being allowed to drink until 21yrs of age is a bit backward.

if you can be trained to kill at 18 and have the technology at your finger tips to destroy half the world why not be allowed to drink?

How old do you need to be to get a Gun licence?

Archived