David in Florence

cuagrad90

Is viewing David at the Accademia really worth standing in line? I have read even if you get a ticket there can be a long line. I will be in Florence June 1. Is one time best to avoid the line?

Thanks for your guidance.

You can pre-reserve a time slot. I know with many private tours/drivers such option exists. Yes there is a long line, but for our reserved slot our wait was 5-10', not to bad, but expect it to be crowded zoo inside. Not clear that they insure the number of people in equal the number of people out. I think the # out finally starts increasing as the crowds become so ridiculous we get in see the naked dude and say thats it so that finally the flow in = flow out.

IMHO like almost all popular attractions in Europe during the peak tourist months be it the Mona Lisa, Sistine Chapel, etc. expect huge crowds. I though it worthwhile.

FWIW in 1993 we saw David at 8am in middle of Sept on a weekday, had the place all to ourselves, never again :(

Is viewing David at the Accademia really worth standing in line? I have read even if you get a ticket there can be a long line. I will be in Florence June 1. Is one time best to avoid the line?

1993_09b.jpg.772a8c9544904948e9a35df744a5d182.jpg

In my humble opinion, no, it is not worth the wait nor the standing in line. Then again, I am not an art expert, I just like what I see.

I could not tell the difference between the David in the Accaddemia or the ones elsewhere (Piazzale Michelangelo for one), except for scale. Perhaps a small exaggeration but the point is that it is one of those things that you have seen so many photos of, so many images of, that when you see the real thing, it is anti climactic. :)

Having said that, if you time it right and pay for a guide you can skip the line and get right in.

In my humble opinion, no, it is not worth the wait nor the standing in line. Then again, I am not an art expert, I just like what I see.

I could not tell the difference between the David in the Accaddemia or the ones elsewhere (Piazzale Michelangelo for one), except for scale. Perhaps a small exaggeration but the point is that it is one of those things that you have seen so many photos of, so many images of, that when you see the real thing, it is anti climactic. :)

Having said that, if you time it right and pay for a guide you can skip the line and get right in.

I am not an art expert, but David is a one of a kind work of art. If you go to Florence, David is a must, in my opinion. Just like the Sistene Chapel is to Rome. Also, the Academmia Museum has much to see other than David.

Hmm could agree and disagree to :D

In Las Vegas they got a Pyramid, David, Tower, NY, etc. etc. Lots of sights all in one place, but many times the whole purpose of traveling is to spend crazy amounts of money, deal with long drives, crowds, uncomfortable weather to see the real meal deal. Sometimes I agree you come away " was that it?" If it wasn't I really like the wonderful travel documentarys on my HD TV :o

Can one really go to Rome and not see the Vatican, Florence and not David, Naples and not Pompeii, yes. But what will be the first question your friends ask you. I guess you could say " wasn't my cup of tea", or "yeah I saw that naked man, much about nothing"

YMMV of course :D

I am not an art expert, but David is a one of a kind work of art. If you go to Florence, David is a must, in my opinion. Just like the Sistene Chapel is to Rome. Also, the Academmia Museum has much to see other than David.

Well, I knew this would stir thing up. Isn't all art "one of a kind"?

David is only one of a ton of sculptures, "all one of a kind" and all ...nice. IMHO.

Florence is so much more than standing in line to see David, so much more. For a short stop in Florence (or any other place), where do you want to spend your time? Inside, in line or capturing the essence of the place. Florence is not "David". David is just a thing in Florence. :)

Hmm could agree and disagree to :D

In Las Vegas they got a Pyramid, David, Tower, NY, etc. etc. Lots of sights all in one place, but many times the whole purpose of traveling is to spend crazy amounts of money, deal with long drives, crowds, uncomfortable weather to see the real meal deal. Sometimes I agree you come away " was that it?" If it wasn't I really like the wonderful travel documentarys on my HD TV :o

Can one really go to Rome and not see the Vatican, Florence and not David, Naples and not Pompeii, yes. But what will be the first question your friends ask you. I guess you could say " wasn't my cup of tea", or "yeah I saw that naked man, much about nothing"

YMMV of course :D

The key here is I was assuming the OP had the one day (or part of it) on a stop while on a cruise.

Florence being the heart of Tuscany, the birthplace of the Renaissance and, a World Heritage site, it would be difficult to decide whether to spend my few hours there taking it all in or standing in line to see a sculpture.

I would also have to decide this if I had only a few hours in Rome. Thing is, what is most important to you. :)

I regard it as the most significant sculpture or maybe even work of art that I have seen in my lifetime. It left an incredible impression me. But if you're not into that kind of thing, it might not be worth it to you. Art is really personal. You could always view the outdoor (copy) version of the David at the Palazzo della Signoria.

that it is one of those things that you have seen so many photos of, so many images of, that when you see the real thing, it is anti climactic.

It blew me away and no picture or even tv image in HD could ever do that.

I regard it as the most significant sculpture or maybe even work of art that I have seen in my lifetime. It left an incredible impression me. But if you're not into that kind of thing, it might not be worth it to you. Art is really personal. You could always view the outdoor (copy) version of the David at the Palazzo della Signoria.

I was in awe when I saw the David sculpture. This was after a guided tour of the Uffizi where I busrt into tears as I entered gallery #2 and was face to face with Giotto's Madonna. It took my breath away.

This was on a land trip when we hired a local art historian to guide us through the two museums for a long afternoon. As a cruise stop for a limited number of hours in Florence one must decide where and what to spend your time. Hopefully you would go back and spend days in Florence on another trip.:)

Thanks everyone. I am going to get a ticket, When I was in Rome last year and only had the afternoon, I went to the Vatican. When in Florence I will go see David.

I think it's a good move on your part.

My big issues with Florence and its treatment of this sculpture is that it does not belong in the Accademy. As others have said, othher than the David, this museum is not known for much (perhaps the Rape of Sabines). But the David is so large and the vantage points of viewing it are problematic. It would be great if it were in a building where you could view David from different heigts (a second story) because it is so large and you have to look up to see his face. It is still amazing. But David could be treated better.

I have to agree.

I've mentioned in another thread that I was indifferent about going to Venice and ending up falling in love with the place. Seeing David was similar; we fitted it into the schedule because no one in the group had seen him and we didn't know when we might be back in Florence again. Having seen dozens of pictures I thought I knew what to expect and yet I was blown away.

I ended up sitting on the circular seating that surrounds him just looking and refusing to leave :-)

There's a short Rick Steves podcast for the Accademia that's worth getting hold of. It covers David but also the Prisoners which are equally fascinating.

Mands

Mands, Our guide, a young Sophia Loren look- alike, started us out by having us sit on the benches behind David. Her first statment:" Ladies, you are looking at the most beautiful male buttocks you will ever see! It is perfectly porpotioned. Now his hand are not so..." we all agreed and the rest of her explanation of the genuis of Michaelangelo was even better!!

It blew me away and no picture or even tv image in HD could ever do that.

I agree 100%, and will add my own 2c. I have seen numerous copies, none of which were even close to the original - you notice the difference immediately; it's that obvious. I am a Renaissance history buff, and have seen La Pieta in St Peter's, every Michelangelo in the Louvre, and the Sistine Chapel frescoes (and more) and NOTHING moved me like the original David. Although the Prisoners and the Medici Chapels came close.....

Robin

I have NEVER been as moved by anything as I was by the David. I certainly didn't expect it, but I was literally speechless and shed tears as the sheer magnificance.

You may not have the same reaction, but it's definitely a don't miss. I also loved the Prisoners - and was underwhelmed by the Uffizi (sorry!).

Mands, Our guide, a young Sophia Loren look- alike, started us out by having us sit on the benches behind David. Her first statment:" Ladies, you are looking at the most beautiful male buttocks you will ever see! It is perfectly porpotioned. Now his hand are not so..." we all agreed and the rest of her explanation of the genuis of Michaelangelo was even better!!

... and all from a piece of flawed and imperfect marble :-)

Mands

Opps the naked guy in the plaza, FWIW versus the naked, clean and glassed off one in the museum from my earlier post when pictures were permitted.

FWIW I almost liked the replica in the Plaza, out where everyone could enjoy.

817581290_4456_FlorencePiazzadellaSignoria.jpg.1a1dcf5e711a5e2d3b8d246055a15776.jpg

I didn't get to see it last time. Might not get to see it this time. I would gladly stand in line to see it given the chance.

• 2 weeks later...

Like previous posters, I'm not terribly knowledgable when it comes to art, however, David was very special. Our travel companion shared a tip with us (he was 70 at the time) that his mother had conveyed to him when he was a teenager. Stand in the corner of the alcove to David's left (at about 10:00) and his eyes will bore through you. It seems like he is ready to spring into action off of his pedestal. Try it...you'll be amazed :)

Archived