Freedom Review w/Pics: 4/3-4/10/2011, some good, some bad, some meh.

Would you think the sofa bed would be comfortable enough for mom

and 5 year old daughter?

Lemme tell you about that sofa bed, I have never seen one like it. Not the typical pull out from the bottom type, it had pieces and metal things and foamy cushion things. The Voyager class sofas are way different, and more comfortable.

This thing was HARD. My son is small so he slept across it and didn't seem to mind. I couldn't sleep a day on that crazy thing, and I like a firm bed. This wasn't firm, it was HARD!

So I don't know. It's big enough for 2, but I wouldn't wanna spend a week in it.:o

thanks for the review. this was the best and most detailed review i have seen yet of the freedom!!

we are going on fos in september and I hate to hear about the food and how bad it is...might make me rethink about paying so much for our GS....

thanks for the review. this was the best and most detailed review i have seen yet of the freedom!!

we are going on fos in september and I hate to hear about the food and how bad it is...might make me rethink about paying so much for our GS....

Glad to be of service.:D As for the food issue, I guess it all boils down to how important the eating experience is to you on your cruise. If food is no big thing, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you travel to eat well and enjoy a week of fabulous meals, FOS may not be the best choice. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't not take this cruise that I just took because of the food, but I might not book it again....;):)

How was the entertainment on the ship? Did you see any of the shows or the ice show

Sorry, we arn't show people, never saw any of them. I went through the trouble of getting ice tickets, but then nobody wanted to go. We have seen the ice shows on other ships, I'm sure they are all the same pretty much.:)

Lemme tell you about that sofa bed, I have never seen one like it. Not the typical pull out from the bottom type, it had pieces and metal things and foamy cushion things. The Voyager class sofas are way different, and more comfortable.

This thing was HARD. My son is small so he slept across it and didn't seem to mind. I couldn't sleep a day on that crazy thing, and I like a firm bed. This wasn't firm, it was HARD!

So I don't know. It's big enough for 2, but I wouldn't wanna spend a week in it.:o

Ask for an eggcrate topper, it helps a lot. My son usually sleeps on the sofabed and finds it softens it a bit.

Great review and pictures.

We cruised on the Freedom last August and the food in the MDR and WJ was not good. We only ate once in the MDR and only made it half way through the meal and decided we had enough. We got up and left.

Fain or Goldstein (too lazy to go and look it up) made a statement on one of the recent quarterly earning calls that the price of food was rising and that those in charge had been given their marching orders to control it. The only way to control it is cut back on the quality of ingredients used. Now that the price of fuel is cutting even deeper into their bottom line (which will also cause the price of food to continue to increase), expect more cuts.

We now stay away from the WJ and MDR and dine in the specialty dining restaurants if possible. When I first started cruising with RCI their food was really good for a mass market line. Better than Carnival IMO but in the last couple of years it's obvious that Goldsteins bean counting ways have brought a decline in overall food quality.

Its funny that we sailed out of Port Canaveral on Monarch the Monday following OP's departure on Freedom and the food on Monarch was excellent. I don't think this is a fleet wide problem. We do eat all our dinners in the MDR as well as most breakfasts and the occasional lunch. We go to the WJ on day 1 for lunch and the occasional breakfast. We are sailing on Freedom Western next month and will see what the food quality situation is.

I loved your review and pics. . . It seems that you guys had a great time !

Thanks for posing your pics from Labadee, and Falmouth. . .:)

Radio

;);)

We were on the same cruise and looked for you at the M&M but didn't see you there. Did you go?

I couldn't agree more about the food, the variety and quality. It was our worst cruise ever for food. Service in the MDR was barely average and the meals, below average. We ordered the Chops Filet and 2 of 3 times it was either overcooked or undercooked.

We did go to Johnny Rockets, the wait was 50 minutes, but the food was good. We did Portifino also, the food and the service were outstanding.

Realizing no trip will ever be perfect, we thought Freedom was a great ship, we had a great time and look forward to sailing on her again someday.

Ditto.. We are not food snobs and we were not overly impressed with the food on the ship. But we did have SUPER service in the MDR. And Chops was excellent, as usual.

We weren't at the M & M because we never got our invitations.:mad:

So sorry that happened. We missed you.

Erika

(p.s. I'm STILL working on my review AND weeding through over 600 photos.)

He will have a great time, even if he refuses to admit it.;)

idk last year in Disney he drove us all crazy, fighting with his GF:p But then again he has been to Disney like 10 times and told us ahead of time that he was sick of it and did not want to go. The up side about the cruise is that 1 he has never been on one. and 2. very limited cell phone and internet usage;)

If anyone has specific pic requests, feel free to ask and I will post if I have it.:D

Pics of the cruise compasses and/or MDR menus please.

Great review btw, very interesting for us in particular as we are going on this same voyage on May 1.

We were on Freedom the first week of February. There were four of us traveling together - two couples. All four of us thoroughly enjoyed every meal served in the main dining room. Our service was beyond excellent. Our waiter was so nice, and he made extra effort to make sure that we were all happy with our dining experience.

I find it strange that the quality of the dining room has suddenly gone down so drastically. Maybe they got a new chef during their dry dock?

Now I would not say that any of us were foodies - so maybe that is the difference here? We expected a nice meal - sort of on the level of an Outback Steakhouse or maybe even Season's 52, and we were satisfied. If you go expecting gourmet food, then of course you will be disappointed with a kitchen serving 4000 people a night.

I find it strange that the quality of the dining room has suddenly gone down so drastically. Maybe they got a new chef during their dry dock?

I don't know about a new chef, but our Head Waiter did say they had new menus. Granted, lots of the items still looked the same to us.

Erika

Your son looks like he is having a great time! How long did he stay on?

When dh was on the flowrider there was a barrier in the middle so 2 people could go at the same time and he stayed on for awhile. They really tried to make him fall off? Not good!!:eek:

Hi,

We were also on this cruise. My daughter did the flowrider quite a bit during boogie boarding times, and they always had the barrier in the middle so there were 2 lines going at once. My hubby, FIL, and myself even dared to try the flowrider.!!! I only went once, as I was losing my bikini bottoms !!!!

FIL did WAY better that I expected, he even got up on his knees!!!

Yes, if you stay in one spot for to long they will yell at you, or even go so far as to shut it down. Sometimes the lines were quite long.

Archived