Hold On Credit Card

Travel_Lover28

I understand that $60 p/day, p/person is put on hold on the credit card. Is the amount less on a longer cruise? I am planning my first 14 day cruise so I want to be prepared if Hal will put a hold on my card for $1680 for me and my husband.

I think it goes down but only on really long cruises (longer than 14 days).

Here you go:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Money+Matters&contentSubMenu=When+Are+My+Deposits+%26+Payments+Due%3F

25 days it becomes $30/pp/day.

Kirk

Keep in mind that this is just a hold ... an assurance from the credit card company that your credit is approved for that amount. Nothing will actually be charged to your account until disembarkation, and that will be only what you've actually spent while onboard.

It is $30 per day for cruises longer than 30 days.
25 days per KirkNC post & checked her/his link to the HAL Website. http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Money+Matters&contentSubMenu=When+Are+My+Deposits+%26+Payments+Due%3F just click Can I use my Credit card onboard.

I think it goes down but only on really long cruises (longer than 14 days).

Here you go:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Money+Matters&contentSubMenu=When+Are+My+Deposits+%26+Payments+Due%3F

25 days it becomes $30/pp/day.

Kirk

that is great to know -- when we did a 28 day cruise a while back -- there was still the notice that the amount would be $60 per day

since we use amex plat -- it didn't make any difference to us

Well, at least I got the $30 part right. :)

Keep in mind that this is just a hold ... an assurance from the credit card company that your credit is approved for that amount. Nothing will actually be charged to your account until disembarkation, and that will be only what you've actually spent while onboard.

Yes you are correct it is just a hold, however one thing to keep in mind, even though it is just a hold it does go against your available credit until the hold expiries off of your account. When it expires is dependent on your credit card company, can be 10 to 14 days. So in short even though you will not be "charged" for the hold, you still can't spend it.

that it might limit you use of the card, just call the credit card company and explain and ask for the limit to be raised so the hold is covered. If you are going out of the country you should contact them to let them know so your purchases are not questioned.

Except for going to AK, it's pretty hard to take a HAL cruise that doesn't spend most of its time out of the country. ;) :)

True. However, I am pretty sure the hold is coming out of Seattle, also avoiding the "pesky" Foreign Transaction Fee :eek: that some cards come with.

Ray in NH

If you are going out of the country you should contact them to let them know so your purchases are not questioned.

OT but even what you said doesn't always work so well! I had issues with two credit cards while traveling in South Africa in March - one of them even after I had spoken to them from there and after many charges went through when suddenly they flagged a purchase at a supermarket. But usually it is a good idea to let them know you will be charging overseas.

I purchased some custom made suits in Hong Kong and the deposit went thru but they had a problem with the final payment and the merchant had to phone the Visa office. I think it was due to 2 large charges from the same shop. Most of the time there are no problems when I contact them before a trip.

Archived