Have Princess put Egypt back onto their itineraries?

joll

Toto to Kansas: Persistence paid off. I now have travel medical insurance that will cover we Canadians in Egypt, thanks to your post from the Personalizer.

Now ya see... THIS kind of thing is why I LOVE Cruise Critic!! :)

If you have any questions or concerns on changes you can contact Princess at 1-800-PRINCESS (1-800-774-6237)

I just got off the phone with "Janet" from corporate. She informed me that despite the US State Departments warnings for travel to Egypt they have reinstated travel to the country. She informed me that an official announcement would be going out on Monday detailing the safety of passengers going into the country. I asked her what information Princess had that was more accurate or current than the State Department and she again assured me that their "emergency" release on Monday would detail the info.

The latest State Department release on Egypt talks about limited security in the country and the fact the government is transitional. They also warn US Citizens that services at the embassy would be limited. Does this sound like they are recommending travel for US Citizens? Anyway, go to the State Department website and make up your own mind.

I would have FAR preferred Cairo over Istanbul about 4 months ago, but now, don't think so. In regards to the recent approved ballot in Egypt for the potential national elections it would appear that the country is anywhere but stable. Also, a little concerned why Princess corporate felt a decision would be made sometime on Friday concerning dozens of sailings to a country in turmoil but not putting out an announcement until Monday...

Anyway, if you have any concern for your safety in a country that is currently locking up protestors for periods of years you may want to call Princess and ask some questions... 1-800-PRINCESS (1-800-774-6237)

I'm booked on the October sailing of the Star Princess (with an overnight in Alexandria, Egypt) and I have similar concerns. As much as my wife and I were excited about going to Egypt when we booked the cruise, we recognized that revising the itinerary (dropping Egypt) was the right thing to do, and in fact we were quite pleased with the alternative itinerary that Princess announced. The current decision to re-instate calls on Egypt appears to me to be highly questionable.

In addition to the items cited above from the U.S. State Dept travel advisory regarding Egypt, I note that the Canadian government is quite explicit:

"OFFICIAL WARNING: Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada advises against non-essential travel to Egypt, except for Sharm El Sheikh, Hurghada, Luxor and Aswan, due to the unpredictable security situation and the threat of terrorist attacks."

Moreover, the Canadian statement includes this in the header:

Last Updated: April 12, 2011 10:34 EST

Still Valid: April 18, 2011 15:40 EST

Their "Still Valid" time stamp is about two hours after Princess released their statement about retuning to Egypt-- it appears as though the Canadian government is rebuking Princess!

I just got off the phone with Princess. I had polite conversations with the representative who answered the phone and also with the customer relations person I was transferred to. After they read me the party line that "it's safe to go there now," I asked them how that statement squared with the current travel advisories from the U.S. and Canada (and I mentioned the "still valid" reference in the Canadian statement)... they said they did not have any additional information, other than being told "it's safe now."

I asked that my concerns be forwarded to management within Princess and I was assured that would be done.

I'm booked on the October sailing of the Star Princess (with an overnight in Alexandria, Egypt) and I have similar concerns. As much as my wife and I were excited about going to Egypt when we booked the cruise, we recognized that revising the itinerary (dropping Egypt) was the right thing to do, and in fact we were quite pleased with the alternative itinerary that Princess announced. The current decision to re-instate calls on Egypt appears to me to be highly questionable.

In addition to the items cited above from the U.S. State Dept travel advisory regarding Egypt, I note that the Canadian government is quite explicit:

"OFFICIAL WARNING: Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada advises against non-essential travel to Egypt, except for Sharm El Sheikh, Hurghada, Luxor and Aswan, due to the unpredictable security situation and the threat of terrorist attacks."

Moreover, the Canadian statement includes this in the header:

Last Updated: April 12, 2011 10:34 EST

Still Valid: April 18, 2011 15:40 EST

Their "Still Valid" time stamp is about two hours after Princess released their statement about retuning to Egypt-- it appears as though the Canadian government is rebuking Princess!

I just got off the phone with Princess. I had polite conversations with the representative who answered the phone and also with the customer relations person I was transferred to. After they read me the party line that "it's safe to go there now," I asked them how that statement squared with the current travel advisories from the U.S. and Canada (and I mentioned the "still valid" reference in the Canadian statement)... they said they did not have any additional information, other than being told "it's safe now."

I asked that my concerns be forwarded to management within Princess and I was assured that would be done.

Hi Steve,

We are just back from a Red Sea Cruise going to Jordan and Egypt with a British cruise line. They have been going back to Egypt since the 3rd March.

We had a fantastic time and no problems in Egypt apart from the week after our cruise who only missed the Cairo Museum due to protests.

Egypt and the Egyptians were no different from when we were there 2 years ago.

Berwyn

Hi Steve,

We are just back from a Red Sea Cruise going to Jordan and Egypt with a British cruise line. They have been going back to Egypt since the 3rd March.

We had a fantastic time and no problems in Egypt apart from the week after our cruise who only missed the Cairo Museum due to protests.

Egypt and the Egyptians were no different from when we were there 2 years ago.

Berwyn

Berwyn,

Thanks for your message. I'm glad to read that your trip went well. At which port in Egypt did your ship stop?

Excursions are in and can be booked for the May 18, 2011 Egypt - Star Princess.

thanks Dog, just did mine!!!:D forgot to say glad to hear you got the insurance straightened out!!! See you in 2 weeks!!!

thanks Dog, just did mine!!!:D forgot to say glad to hear you got the insurance straightened out!!! See you in 2 weeks!!!

Thanks. Peace of mind now. ;)

Wish I was on the Transatlantic, but not. So see you on the May 18th sailing.:)

I realize many who had Egypt cancelled from their cruise were disappointed, but no one has mentioned how this affects those people who decided to book because Istanbul was subbed in. Many people juggled/cancelled and changed plans based on the original announcement deleting Egypt and now they just casually put it back. I know, they have the right to change itinerarys at any time, but I really think this decision has not been well thought out. IMHO

I realize many who had Egypt cancelled from their cruise were disappointed, but no one has mentioned how this affects those people who decided to book because Istanbul was subbed in. Many people juggled/cancelled and changed plans based on the original announcement deleting Egypt and now they just casually put it back. I know, they have the right to change itinerarys at any time, but I really think this decision has not been well thought out. IMHO

Princess has stated since day 1 that they would be trying to get Egypt back on schedule as soon as they could. Anyone who didn't want to go to Egypt shouldn't have booked one of the effected cruises. Lots of other options to go to Istanbul.

I'm certainly glad Egypt is back on. As Princess said in the original notification:

"We will continue to evaluate the situation, and if it improves and/or the U.S. State Department lifts the Travel Warning, we will return to our original published itinerary."

Nobody should have assumed Istanbul was a sure thing.

-Steve

I seriously doubt that anyone booked this cruise because of the Istanbul stop. There are many other cruises far more interesting with Istanbul than this one.

I seriously doubt that anyone booked this cruise because of the Istanbul stop. There are many other cruises far more interesting with Istanbul than this one.

The 5/18 cruise is going to Istanbul, for one day.

When Egypt was out, Istanbul was changed to two days.

So, noone will be missing Istanbul (unless the ship can't go there that day for some reason), just will be having the originally scheduled one day there.

On the roll call there were some posts by some who had booked recently that they picked the cruise because of the two days that were scheduled in Istanbul at the time they booked.

The 5/18 cruise is going to Istanbul, for one day.

When Egypt was out, Istanbul was changed to two days.

So, noone will be missing Istanbul (unless the ship can't go there that day for some reason), just will be having the originally scheduled one day there.

On the roll call there were some posts by some who had booked recently that they picked the cruise because of the two days that were scheduled in Istanbul at the time they booked.

This is why I always read the fine print. There was a whole page pertaining to the changes and if possible going back to the Egypt route.

Archived