Alternative dinner on Formal night

Milano66

My sister is thinking of joining us on our Solstice cruise in November but she is a little bit hesitant because of the attire in the MDR on formal night. What are the options if you decided not to dress up on formal night Can you order room service. This would be her first cruise and I would like to make sure she is confortable with her choice.

:)

Room service (iincluding full dining room menu), buffet (limited items including a meat grill area, Asian food & sushi, pizza & pasta and salad bar), and Bistro on Five.

The dress code also specifies that the specialty restuarants are smart casual every night including formal nights but you will find that many still dress up formally - especially at Muranos and Tuscan Grill.

Does she have a plain dress and maybe a glittery shawl? Formal doesn't have to mean a ball gown, it can be fairly simple, and she wouldn't have to shell out a lot of money to still feel part of the formal cruise experience. There are many people who have put pictures of their cruises on the 'net -- go take a look and you'll see the range of pretty clothes women wear on formal nights.

On the other hand, room service, served on a balcony under the stars can be magical, too.

If you decide to have room service ask your steward to get you a MDR menu. Then you can ponder and decide before you call room service.

Room service will not tell you what is on the MDR menu but they will take your order. Your dinner gets delivered to your stateroom about 7:30 between seatings in the MDR.

On our Equinox cruise there were many kinds of dress on formal night. Everything from Church dresses to formal gowns. There were many women in nice black slacks and sparkly, dressy tops.

Just off the Equinox and didn't do formal nights. One of the nights we went to the buffet...love the pasta station...the last formal night we ordered room service.

Asked for a menu and our steward brought it about mid afternoon. We ordered a little after 6pm and it was delivered in about 30 minutes. Nothing like lobster on the balcony in shorts...what a way to cruise!!!:D

Tell your sister not to worry about formal night. Everyone wil be dressesd according to whthey think is formal. A woman can get away with a very simple outfit . A plain black dress with a little jewelry goes a long way. Booking a reservation at one of the speciality restaurants is a good option. A nice pair of pants and shirt are fine. A woman always seems to look fine in any outfit that doesn't include jeans. I wouldn"t eat in the room, enjoy the dining rooms and don't get too uptight about the attire, you will see plenty of people who do not wear formal attire!

My sister is thinking of joining us on our Solstice cruise in November but she is a little bit hesitant because of the attire in the MDR on formal night. What are the options if you decided not to dress up on formal night Can you order room service. This would be her first cruise and I would like to make sure she is confortable with her choice.

:)

Lots of options if you want to skip the MDR on formal nights. On my Oct cruise my gf and I just went for the buffet on formal nights. We had formal clothes but just got hungry early and decided to go with buffet options instead of waiting for MDR dining time. Have to say I liked the sushi options in the buffet on Solstice. mmmm

Room service (iincluding full dining room menu), buffet (limited items including a meat grill area, Asian food & sushi, pizza & pasta and salad bar), and Bistro on Five.

The dress code also specifies that the specialty restuarants are smart casual every night including formal nights but you will find that many still dress up formally - especially at Muranos and Tuscan Grill.

Actually, when we were onboard Eclipse two months ago, it was stipulated in the daily newsletter that the specialty restaurants adhere to whatever the dress code is for that evening. If it's formal night, it's also formal night in the specialty restaurants.

Having said that, I would also tell the OP to have her sister not stress one bit about the dress code. As others have said, you will see an entire spectrum of dressing. She can wear something very simple. I just wouldn't go in jeans (which I never wear to the MDR anyway) or capris (which I do frequently wear on smart casual evenings).

Jo-Ann

You do not have to dress formal for the specialty restaurants. Even on formal night. Even on formal nights there were lots of people in nice pants and tops. Dont fret and enjoy the cruise and who cares what others thinks!!! You paid your money like everyone else.

You do not have to dress formal for the specialty restaurants. Even on formal night. Even on formal nights there were lots of people in nice pants and tops. Dont fret and enjoy the cruise and who cares what others thinks!!! You paid your money like everyone else.

I agree 100%. I pack a pair of nice black slacks and wear a dressy blouse. I only pack one pair of shoes too. Mine are a nondescript pair of black orthopedic sandals on to which I place crystal shoe clips. :D Comfort is king!!! I find formal night in the main dining room to be quite special and would hate to see a new cruiser miss the experience.

Pamela

Tucson, AZ

Actually, when we were onboard Eclipse two months ago, it was stipulated in the daily newsletter that the specialty restaurants adhere to whatever the dress code is for that evening. If it's formal night, it's also formal night in the specialty restaurants.

Having said that, I would also tell the OP to have her sister not stress one bit about the dress code. As others have said, you will see an entire spectrum of dressing. She can wear something very simple. I just wouldn't go in jeans (which I never wear to the MDR anyway) or capris (which I do frequently wear on smart casual evenings).

Jo-Ann

from the X website

faq_answers_hdr.gif

spacer.gif

What is the required dress for Specialty Restaurants?

Subject: Specialty Dining

The dress code in Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants is smart casual and above for every night of your cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

This may be a case of the FAQ not keeping up with the actual practice on board -- there have been more than one report that the dress throughout the ship on formal nights is designated formal in all specialty restaurants. Again, no consistency, which is maddening.

This may be a case of the FAQ not keeping up with the actual practice on board -- there have been more than one report that the dress throughout the ship on formal nights is designated formal in all specialty restaurants. Again, no consistency, which is maddening.

The wording was only changed a few months ago on the website, so it's the most recent info. I think it's more the ships not getting up to date with the lines new policies. As for the daily, the wording is probably a standard insert that someone just cuts and pastes and no one actually realizes it needs updating

That's right. Our daily newsletter on Eclipse asked guests to dress for the specialty restaurants for whatever that evening's dress called for. Maybe it varies from ship to ship, but what is stated on the FAQ website is not what the daily newsletter advised.

The wording was only changed a few months ago on the website, so it's the most recent info. I think it's more the ships not getting up to date with the lines new policies. As for the daily, the wording is probably a standard insert that someone just cuts and pastes and no one actually realizes it needs updating

I agree!

that the specialty restaurant(s) warrant folks dressing up - even the waiters do :D so shldn't the guests also..but especially when it is formal nite in the MDR..

Don't get me wrong, I luv casual and smart casual dressing but formal nite dressup is special as are the evenings in those specialty restaurants - the ambience just screams 'dressup'!

Sort of spoils it for others (and I have been told - the waitstaff is disappointed when folks don't bother to get 'dressed up') and it is being a bit insulting to others when men arrive with no jacket or worse not even a TIE and their 'babes' are dressed to the nines and looking extremely classy and women show up looking like ordinary housewives (although most ladies look wonderful though - this is rare) with their fellas in jackets & ties.

Curious why they wld insult their special better half and why wld they tolerate it anyway but JMO...

Have great cruisin' all!

The dress code in specialty restaurants used to be formal on formal nights, it is no longer.

As a matter of fact, about six months ago Celebrity had two FAQ questions on the Specialty restaurants which had contrary information. The one stating it was the same as the dress code for the MDR was removed about six months ago. Celebrity is not known for their consistency however the only dress code on the web site now is as stated above smart casual every night.

Due to this, many people are not packing formal clothes and are booking specialty restaurants on formal nights. No one has come back and stated that they were denied entry into the specialty restaurants because they were not in formal clothes on formal nights..

Sounds like time for you gals to go on a shopping trip! Get sparkly, enjoy formal night.

I agree with you mapsmith! What's wrong with getting dressed up? That's one of the things I'm looking forward to on this cruise! When's the last time you get to put on your formal wear and go out for a fancy evening? Got the tux ready, and can't wait!

Archived