Walking From Ancient Rome to Pantheon Area

mrspeaks

We are planning to begin our day in Rome at the Colosseum, walking then through the Roman Forum and possibly Capitol Hill.

Next, I wanted to go to the Pantheon. My first question is, how easy and far is the walk from Ancient Rome to the Pantheon? We are very athletic - I just don't want to wear ourselves out too soon.

Second, from the Pantheon how far is the Trevi Fountain? Should we walk or take a cab to save time? I know part of the fun is walking through the streets.

Thank you!

It's all completely walkable. From the Forum, exit up the steps near the Arch of Septimius Severus to Piazza dl Campidoglio, then walk down the Cordonata to the street. From here it's a half mile walk to the Pantheon (it's almost a straight line, along Via Aracoeli, Via Gesu, then a couple of quick turns and you're there).

From the Pantheon to Trevi is almost entirely a pedestrian only path, and it's a little less than half a mile between the two. It's six of one, half a dozen of the other whether you go to Trevi or the Pantheon first from Campidoglio, it really depends on where you want to go next.

Walking from the forum area to Pantheon is about a 20-minute walk; a bit longer if you're coming from the Colosseum or if you want to stroll rather than walk briskly. It's a very pleasant walk; I've done it many times.

Another option would be to go from the Forum/Colosseum area to Trevi Fountain by the Via del Corso route; it's quicker but not as pleasant to walk as Corso is a very busy street.

Either way, whether you would then walk from Trevi to the Pantheon or vice versa, it is a very pleasant 10-15 minute walk along smaller streets with lovely shops and restaurants along the way. There is a clearly marked route with brown signs pointing to the destination either way you do it. The more usual route is down Via del Seminario, but I prefer the route that passes by Piazza di Pietra, so that I can stop and look at the remains of Hadrian's temple, now built into a modern building. This is one of the things I love most about Rome and a good reason for walking -- so that you pass by places like this. :)

The Trevi Fountain is less than a 30 minute stroll from the Colosseum and the Trevi Fountain is a short walk -- less than 10 minutes to the Pantheon. The only real issue can be the heat. If you are doing this mid-day in summer, you might or might not enjoy it.

I took the Metro to the Collosseum to the rest of your list, easily. I too the Metro back to Termi station from the Spanish Steps. This included a guided tour of the Collosseum and walking through the forum. Next went to the Pantheon.

Necessary is to have a good map. I also used Rick Steves guide book.

It is a good walk but if you plan it right, you will walk past the Monument to Vittorio Emanuele (wedding cake) , continue on down Corso Vittorio Emanuele and you will walk by Largo di Torre Argentina, where Ceasar was betrayed and killed (et tu Brute?) then onward through Piazza Navona and to the Pantheon a few blocks from there.

It is really a worthwhile stroll. Walk it, don't take transportaion. LOL

We have walked this twice from Saint Peters to all of these places. But get a map and mark it off as you go or you will not know where you are .There are small signs with arrows along the way most people miss them so look hard.

Google Maps will give you a map along with step-by-step walking directions from one attraction to the other and also includes an estimate of how long the walk will take. It's an excellent resource for DIY travelers!

Archived