Share a bargain/deal

Has anyone seen last minute deals for Radiance of the Seas this season?

20/11/2011 Sydney to NZ 14N From 1379pp Twin with free upgrade

04/12/2011 Sydney to NZ 14N From 1379pp Twin with free upgrade

04/12/2011 Sydney to NZ 14N Senior from 1299pp Twin

18/12/2011 Sydney to NZ 16N From 1329pp Quad share; Twin inside 1739pp, Twin outside 2019pp

etc etc

Edited by Topaz_M

20/11/2011 Sydney to NZ 14N From 1379pp Twin with free upgrade

04/12/2011 Sydney to NZ 14N From 1379pp Twin with free upgrade

04/12/2011 Sydney to NZ 14N Senior from 1299pp Twin

18/12/2011 Sydney to NZ 16N From 1329pp Quad share; Twin inside 1739pp, Twin outside 2019pp

etc etc

Is that from an online travel agency?

Oh gosh I can see this thread becoming a fast favourite :)

I completely understand and respect why CC does not allow naming of TAs but I must admit I'm sooo curious as to there the good bargains are!

I have a question for you experienced cruisers... why are some cruises more expensive than others? Beyond the obvious like number of nights and distance travelled. The cruise I am looking at is 12 nights but it is easily more expensive than other, longer cruises on the same line. Is it because it's a SYD-SYD cruise maybe?

(sorry if this is not the appropriate thread for my question... I am still new to CC, it's a whole new world to me!)

Oh gosh I can see this thread becoming a fast favourite :)

I completely understand and respect why CC does not allow naming of TAs but I must admit I'm sooo curious as to there the good bargains are!

I have a question for you experienced cruisers... why are some cruises more expensive than others? Beyond the obvious like number of nights and distance travelled. The cruise I am looking at is 12 nights but it is easily more expensive than other, longer cruises on the same line. Is it because it's a SYD-SYD cruise maybe?

(sorry if this is not the appropriate thread for my question... I am still new to CC, it's a whole new world to me!)

Which cruise, which ship, what date, which itinerary? All these things have a bearing on cruise price.

It is because of perceived demand.

It could be because it is a popular ship.

It could be because it is a Sydney to Sydney cruise. A longer cruise Sydney to Auckland could be less expensive than a cruise Sydney to Sydney because it is not as convenient and there is an additional airfare involved.

If it is not as popular as expected, prices will drop later to fill the ship.

The other cruises might also have a lot less ports (no port charges for the line) with/or more sea days.

Thanks for your replies, that does make sense that there's so many variables so it's hard to pinpoint.

I think also because I'm late to the party (the cruise is in just 5 months time) maybe that has something to do with it - I read that prices can go up and up the closer it gets?

It's funny that I never even considered a cruise til a few weeks ago and now I'm desperate for one! I blame CC ;)

Thanks for your replies, that does make sense that there's so many variables so it's hard to pinpoint.

I think also because I'm late to the party (the cruise is in just 5 months time) maybe that has something to do with it - I read that prices can go up and up the closer it gets?

It's funny that I never even considered a cruise til a few weeks ago and now I'm desperate for one! I blame CC ;)

I consider 5 months ahead of a cruise to be early booking.:) We have booked early a couple of times, but only when there is a great special. Luckily we can be flexible on timing.

If you just have to do a particular cruise then book it. But if you can be flexible, wait until much closer when the price often drops if the cruise does not have something 'special' going for it. With so many ships operating out of Australian ports now, many cruises are offered at great prices just to fill them. For example, there were great deals on Princess cruises advertised in last Sunday's Travel section of the Sunday paper.

I think it is very unusual for the price of a cruise to go up closer to cruise date. The only thing that can happen is that a special offer ends when they have a lot of extra bookings and the price reverts to what it had been earlier. Watch the on-line travel agents' websites and also the Sunday paper advertisements. If you see a cruise you want, jump on it before it gets away. :)

Unless somebody can only cruise on a particular date for some reason (workers with fixed holidays) - or only wishes to cruise over a particular busy period (Christmas) or there is something unique and popular about the cruise), I wouldn't be booking too early.

There are so many ships running out of Sydney, all doing much the same itinerary - (the itineraries out of Sydney don't vary that much except for the odd unusual one)

Barry

Ok I stand corrected ;)

Thanks again for your advice everyone :)

We do have our hearts set on a particular cruise as its close to my birthday, a good time of year for that particular itinerary, and also I'll be going back to work (I'm on maternity leave now) soon after - not sure when I'll next have the opportunity to take 12 days of leave!

I've been checking out a bunch of different online TAs - it seems that generally the US TAs give lots of OBCs whereas Australian TA don't. I guess there is a lot more competition over there! If I can get enough obc to cover our tips then that would really help us, even if I don't get a "bargain" on the fare itself.

Edited by littledaisychain

We do have our hearts set on a particular cruise as its close to my birthday, a good time of year for that particular itinerary, and also I'll be going back to work (I'm on maternity leave now) soon after - not sure when I'll next have the opportunity to take 12 days of leave!

You mention Maternity Leave but not when your baby is due. Cruise ships won't take passengers who have reached the 24 week mark in their pregnancy and P & O and Princess operating from Australia won't take children younger than 12 months. Maybe you have already looked at this and are planning your cruise before you reach 24 weeks.

Congratulations on the baby. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Princess has come out with some real deals for past passengers for cruises on Sea Princess in November, and Diamond Princess December and January. :D

Don't think I can post prices BUT they are VERY SHARP! :eek: 16th December sailing we could get a mini-suite for half of what we paid for a balcony last year.

I finally received a Princess Captains Circle Email - miracles do happen :rolleyes:

LOL, I hear you......:D

Save up to $1600 on MSC's Singles Special offer in the Mediterranean & Northern Europe!‏ Forget the usual surcharge.

GRAND MEDITERRANEAN - 14 NIGHTS

Choose from two B2B 7 night cruise itineraries, visiting ports of call in Italy, Croatia, Greece, Spain, France and more.

MSC Musica & MSC Fantasia departing Venice 22 Apr, 13 May, 17 Jun

MSC Divina & MSC Splendida departing 29 Sep & 20 Oct

14 nights from $1708pp* (was $2794pp)

PLUS receive a FREE TRANSFER from Venice to Genoa on day of disembarkation / embarkation

GRAND NORTHERN EUROPE - 14 NIGHTS

Choose from MSC Poesia or MSC Magnifica, cruising the stunning scenery of the Norwegian Fjords and the picturesque Baltic Capitals. Departing Copenhagen 27 May or 23 June.

14 nights from $2268pp* (was $3882pp)