What night for Crown Grill?

momtogkc

Hi,

We are going on our first cruise next week on the Crown Princess. :) I know we want to book the Crown Grill at least one night, is there a night you would recommend? We are doing the two formal nights, so it wouldn't be those two nights.

Also, is Sabatini's worth it? I hear a lot of people talking about the Crown, but haven't heard as much about Sabatini's.

We were going to try for the chef's dinner, but we have a group of 10 and won't be getting to the boat until about noon or 1, so it probably won't work.

Thank you!

Hi,

We are going on our first cruise next week on the Crown Princess. :) I know we want to book the Crown Grill at least one night, is there a night you would recommend? We are doing the two formal nights, so it wouldn't be those two nights.

Also, is Sabatini's worth it? I hear a lot of people talking about the Crown, but haven't heard as much about Sabatini's.

We were going to try for the chef's dinner, but we have a group of 10 and won't be getting to the boat until about noon or 1, so it probably won't work.

Thank you!

We were on the Crown a couple of weeks ago and ate at the Crown Grill both formal nights. It's all very subjective, but it seems on most threads like this people recommend the Caribbean dinner night at the one they like the least. I think it's Wednesday night on your cruise, but not 100% sure. We really didn't care for the Chef's Dinner menu and would have gone to the Grill that night if we didn't have the formal nights planned.

If you don't have a particular night in mind already based upon a plan you already have, you might just go down to the dining room each morning and look at that night's menu and when you see one you don't particularly care for, pick that night and call and make a reservation.

Both nights we ate at the Crown Grill we made reservations, but I don't think it was necessary as there were lots of empty tables.

I don't have any advice for Sabbatini's never eaten there.

Mike

We generally have late traditional dining & will look at the menu to see which day we prefer the CG. We have been able to make reservations by calling the DINE line but since we don't dine early it's been possible. We have also booked an earlier time for the last night onboard if we want to get to sleep earlier. It can get more crowded so we'll book it earlier in the cruise.

For us, on a 7 day cruise there's not enough time for the Sabatini's & CG plus the MDR. We prefer the CG but on longer cruises will also enjoy an evening at Sabatini's. And both of these take a back seat if we can get the CT & hope you're group will be able to experience this great evening.

We were on the Crown a couple of weeks ago and ate at the Crown Grill both formal nights. It's all very subjective, but it seems on most threads like this people recommend the Caribbean dinner night at the one they like the least. I think it's Wednesday night on your cruise, but not 100% sure. We really didn't care for the Chef's Dinner menu and would have gone to the Grill that night if we didn't have the formal nights planned.

If you don't have a particular night in mind already based upon a plan you already have, you might just go down to the dining room each morning and look at that night's menu and when you see one you don't particularly care for, pick that night and call and make a reservation.

Both nights we ate at the Crown Grill we made reservations, but I don't think it was necessary as there were lots of empty tables.

I don't have any advice for Sabbatini's never eaten there.

Mike

From a post I found from another thread, if it's accurate Caribbean night is Monday, Italian night is Tuesday and Chef's Dinner is Wednesday, if that helps at all. I said Wednesday night above for Caribbean, but now that I saw this I think it was Monday and the Chef's Dinner was Wednesday. Sounds right to me..

Mike

Hi - just off the Crown - Monday was the Caribbean night - that's when we went to the Crown and it was great as usual. Great cruise too but we missed the Roatan port due to high winds :(

What is it about Caribbean night that turns people elsewhere?

I'm not sure, but when I have read threads about this topic, it seems that Caribbean night comes up as the best possible night to eat elsewhere. If I remember right, Caribbean night is when they offer jerk chicken and my wife got it a couple of weeks ago and loved it.

Personally, I remember the Chef's Dinner being the night I went, "meh, beef medallions for me", but I guess that is everyone's individual preference. There are always options to choose from.

Mike

Sabatini's offer a medley of Italian food choices; antipasto, soup, pizza, appetizer, entre', desert and leisurely dining in an intimate atmosphere. You don't often find parties of 10, but they can accomodate with reservations. If you are sailing the TA, you will have lots of nights to choose from. Crown Grill offers the open kitchen with fabulous Steaks and chops. Again, it really depends on what atmosphere you are looking for.

The Chef's Table is very limited each journey and all 10 of you may not make the cut. Although a great venue, you may try, but don't get your hopes up for that dining experience.

I'm not sure, but when I have read threads about this topic, it seems that Caribbean night comes up as the best possible night to eat elsewhere. If I remember right, Caribbean night is when they offer jerk chicken and my wife got it a couple of weeks ago and loved it.

Personally, I remember the Chef's Dinner being the night I went, "meh, beef medallions for me", but I guess that is everyone's individual preference. There are always options to choose from.

Mike

I had the jerk chicken on the Coral and really liked it, too. It wasn't quite spicy/hot enough but the flavour was good. Plus, that's the night of Key Lime Pie on the dessert menu!

My least favourite total menu (on a 7-day cruise) is probably the last night, Land-Ho, dinner. I like the pasta with clams but otherwise, it's the Always Available side of the menu -- Caesar or shrimp cocktail and salmon. Therefore, I'd recommend the Crown Grill for the last night. But if you go to the specialty restaurant table set up to make ressies on embarkation day, they should have the menus there for the entire cruise and you can select in advance which one appeals to you least.

Sabitini's vs Crown Grill.

IMHO they are both very good. You can't lose at either of these places. But all things being equal I would take Sabitini's. The reason is that I can find steak houses like the Crown Grill where I live. I don't know anyplace near where I live that offers a dining experience like Sabitini's. Just be warned that Sabitini's has a lot of food and takes some time to dine there.

I agree many posters that the Caribbean night is my least favorite.

I was on the Crown several weeks ago. If there was a night that I would miss in the MDR, it would be the Chefs Dinner. I didn't care for that menu and it would be a great evening for the Crown Grill.

On our recent Ruby cruise the consensus seemed to be that the Chef's Dinner wasn't all that great there either, but in that case they served it on the second formal night. On the other hand, the Caribbean dinner seemed to be by far the one considered to be the best of the cruise at our table, but YMMV on that one.

We pick Italian night or the first formal night to eat in Sabatini's. I have never tried the Crown Grill yet but have been to Sterlings which was the old steak house. We ate there on the last night when the MDR is serving Home Style.

Archived