FOS upgrading to E1 question

I am actually feeling a little anxiety in this decision:eek:

We are booked on Deck 2 right now. These OV are sold out for our size family right now. So leaving this cabin means goodbye.

I am thinking about upgrading to a balcony. I check the website to see what is open on an E1. There is an AFT and a cabin on Deck 6 right next to the elevator.

Why I want to upgrade: This cruise is my 50th bday celebration. As you can see, DH and are getting older (we can handle the Aft walk. We work out 5 days a week) A few years back, we stayed in Galveston at a Motel right on the "beach". I woke up in the morning, only to see my DH, who works so hard during the year, sitting on the wall of the motel (Galveston has a street between motels and the beach) drinking his coffee with car exhauste hitting him in the face. From that point on I decided that we would ALWAYS stay in a better place, beach front etc, where we would wind down and enjoy our vacations. We were getting older and work hard during the year.

Why I am scared to upgrade:This is THE most expensive vacation we have ever taken. We might stay at a beach or the mountains for a week, but it has never cost as much as the FOS. So upgrading to 4500.00 is sticker shock to me (including ins) We are just under 4000.00 right now. This is not hotel or plane fare either, although much of that is all ready taken care of with CC points and GC. Not all, but a lot.

I am actually paying for this cruise with money I earn by selling on Ebay. This is NOT our milk money at all. DH can make a penny scream and he would FREAK to know how much an upgrade cost!

But I can see us ordering room service and eating out on the balcony. I can see us even just starting our day with the coffee on the balcony instead of sitting on the bed in our OV.

Our 11 yr old son is going with us and we could drink our coffee out on the balcony while he still sleeps.

I just see my hard working DH sitting on the dad gum bed drinking his morning coffee while my little guy is snoozing away on the pullman over his head.

This is a very special vacation for us. We realize that our 11 yr old will not be with us forever and this time with him is special.

Anyway, this is pouring out my heart to a bunch of strangers but we have cruising in common. any thoughts on upgrading?

I totally understand your concern about the money - cruising is not a cheap vacation! However, having said that, we have cruised several times (with and without children) and the balcony is something I would NEVER cruise without. I honestly don't even look at other room choices since it is something so special to us. Like you we work very hard all year and vacations are cherished times to spend with the family - on my deathbed I will never regret any of the money spent on those times. We are not big nightlife people - no dancing and clubs although we do love the shows - so for us the best part of the cruise experience is the relaxation aspect. And for that you just cannot beat the balcony - just listening to the sound of the water or better yet, the wake in an aft balcony, is something you will never get tired of.

Just my opinion...

One of the greatest pleasures for us is sitting on our balcony with the first cup of coffee in the morning Don't hesitate,don't let the balcony slip away. The money will come "Just do it"!!!

What is your sail date? Are you past final?

If you are not, you may want to wait and possibly upgrade after final payment if there is a lot of availability in the category you are interested in.

I am on a June sailing of Ex, which usually sails full, and there are lots of triples still available and there are price drops on several categories.

If you do this you may end up with the cabin you started out with but it's another option if you like to gamble.

There were no triples available for awhile on my cruise and now there are lots.

I agree if the upgrade is available take it, even though more expensive. We have been on 4 previous cruises and our last one in 2006 was our first with a balcony. We are a family of 4 (2 daughters) -- having the balcony gives you extra space when getting ready for dinner, etc. My husband would dress first then sit on the balcony with a cocktail waiting for us to get ready. We also enjoyed leisurely breakfasts (room service) on the balcony if kids were still asleep. After having the balcony we said we would never sail again without a balcony and it has taken us this long(5 years) to save up $$ to cruise again. Also, it is very relaxing hearing the waves and water hit the boat during bedtime. Hope this helps.

Thank you for all your encouragement! Believe it or not, even with our economy, money is money and you dont take it with you at the end. There really is more of it if you are willing to work.

DH all ready made the comment that "I just want to sit down and look at the water". That is all he is asking for.

I agree - go for the balcony! Especially since there will be 3 of you in the cabin, the balcony will give you another living space. Ship cabins are small, so that extra space is wonderful (like another room) when there are 3 in a cabin.

I do hear and understand the financial end of it! But here's the thing...this is a special vacation and a special time with your son. I remember the 11 year old time well - our son still liked us at that age!!!:D 11 year olds are the kings of childhood and they still enjoy spending time with their parents, making a vacation like this one a huge experience for him. He will have a wonderful time on the FOS and always remember this vacation with Mom & Dad. That's pretty priceless. One he becomes a full fledged teenager, this kind of trip with him may not be as much fun. (Although there is light at the end of the teenage tunnel, and they do eventually like their parents again...it just takes a few years.)

So go for the balcony if you can. Instead of getting wake-up calls in the mornings, you can have your morning coffee delivered each day at the time you choose. (Room service will call right before they bring it.) You and your family will enjoy that balcony and have a wonderful time relaxing, watching the water, enjoying special views as the ship sails in and out of ports, and having essentially an extra space, almost like another room, for the 3 of you.

Our first cruise was in a balcony cabin. (But our son was 23, so he and his friend had their own room next door.) We loved it! Since that time we have tried all the different levels of accommodation on our cruises, and have managed to pull off several "low budget" vacations with less expensive cabins, and we have tried a few suites as well, but that first balcony was really special.

Happy Birthday and have a wonderful vacation!

Judy

Marci, our FP is May 17th. We are sailing in the summer which is a huge time for families. There seems to actually be more doubles available on our cruise.

Keep checking availability up until final payment and you will get an idea of what will be available after final.

Lots of rooms opened up after final on our June 23 cruise. For awhile there would be 1 or no triples available at all, and now there are at least 15 in the D1 category alone. ymmv of course, but I like to keep my options open.

I am actually feeling a little anxiety in this decision:eek:

We are booked on Deck 2 right now. These OV are sold out for our size family right now. So leaving this cabin means goodbye.

I am thinking about upgrading to a balcony. I check the website to see what is open on an E1. There is an AFT and a cabin on Deck 6 right next to the elevator.

Why I want to upgrade: This cruise is my 50th bday celebration. As you can see, DH and are getting older (we can handle the Aft walk. We work out 5 days a week) A few years back, we stayed in Galveston at a Motel right on the "beach". I woke up in the morning, only to see my DH, who works so hard during the year, sitting on the wall of the motel (Galveston has a street between motels and the beach) drinking his coffee with car exhauste hitting him in the face. From that point on I decided that we would ALWAYS stay in a better place, beach front etc, where we would wind down and enjoy our vacations. We were getting older and work hard during the year.

Why I am scared to upgrade:This is THE most expensive vacation we have ever taken. We might stay at a beach or the mountains for a week, but it has never cost as much as the FOS. So upgrading to 4500.00 is sticker shock to me (including ins) We are just under 4000.00 right now. This is not hotel or plane fare either, although much of that is all ready taken care of with CC points and GC. Not all, but a lot.

I am actually paying for this cruise with money I earn by selling on Ebay. This is NOT our milk money at all. DH can make a penny scream and he would FREAK to know how much an upgrade cost!

But I can see us ordering room service and eating out on the balcony. I can see us even just starting our day with the coffee on the balcony instead of sitting on the bed in our OV.

Our 11 yr old son is going with us and we could drink our coffee out on the balcony while he still sleeps.

I just see my hard working DH sitting on the dad gum bed drinking his morning coffee while my little guy is snoozing away on the pullman over his head.

This is a very special vacation for us. We realize that our 11 yr old will not be with us forever and this time with him is special.

Anyway, this is pouring out my heart to a bunch of strangers but we have cruising in common. any thoughts on upgrading?

Looks like $4227 for an E1

If you are already paying almost $4000, I's have to go for it.

You'll love it!

If you want to eat on the balcony, definitely get an aft cabin...the side cabins are not furnished for "dining"....a small patio table is all you'll have...and no room, either!

The balcony will be a godsend with more than 2 in the cabin...it will give you a place "to be" while others are scrambling about, dressing, etc...

If you want to save some money, do it on excursions! Get a guidebook (libraries have them and cost nothing!) and read up on your ports. There are MANY things to do that will cost nothing but cab fare! Research is the key to getting the most out of your shore time, without paying a bundle!!!!

I was having this same debate with myself just a short time ago for my upcoming cruise on the Freedom. This is my gift to myself for my 40th birthday. I decided to go for it! I figured I'd save the difference by shopping less! I have excursions planned that weren't very expensive but will keep me out of the shops!

Exactly cb! We are taking our won snorkle stuff and we are willing to take a taxi to the beach and just hang.

Funny, but once my DH is ON the vacation, he doesnt worry about spending so much. He is in that relaxed mood and spends. It is just before he gets there

August, our little guy will be in school. summer is it for us. During the school year we are busy with life and school.

Reading your post about finding your husband on that wall was so touching. Wanting him to be able to sit and enjoy is such a beautiful thing. We don't have money to burn either, but the balcony is something we love. I know it will give you such special memories.....and how right you are...Money isn't everything. We should probably sit home this summer and try to pay off bills, with the economy, but I was diagnosed with a serious heart condition about 18 mos ago we decided to have a look at our priorities. Enjoy the cruise...and the balcony. I know you want to do it for your husband.

Griffy, I will pray for you. It is amazing what drs can do now a days. Keep the faith.

That is EXACTLY why we need to enjoy life when we can and go ahead and spend the money because we never do know when things will happen

Archived