Carnival mattress purchase deception

seaski42

For a year I have debated about purchasing the Carnival mattress set. I've shopped around at local stores and not found a mattress I liked as well as the one we had on our cruise. So, I took the plunge and ordered it last month. It arrived today and I was disappointed to see that it was not made by Eastborn Marine in the Netherlands as the Carnival bedding website says but rather Kingsdown , Inc in Oklahoma, USA. I started looking at Kingsdown mattresses on line and this one does not appear to be one of their top-of-the-line mattresses and even those seem to sell for less than this "Carnival" one did. Has anyone else had this happen to them, and if so, did you complain and did you get any response? It just seems a little deceptive to me. I haven't slept on this mattress yet--it may be great but it isn't the one that was on the cruise ship, apparently.

Oh I am sorry that happened to you, I would not be happy either! I would definitely write and tell them you are not happy, is there anything in writing about satisfaction guarantee or returns?:(

I want one of those beds at home too but haven't done it. Now I won't do it until I find out more...thank you so much for posting:)

For a year I have debated about purchasing the Carnival mattress set. I've shopped around at local stores and not found a mattress I liked as well as the one we had on our cruise. So, I took the plunge and ordered it last month. It arrived today and I was disappointed to see that it was not made by Eastborn Marine in the Netherlands as the Carnival bedding website says but rather Kingsdown , Inc in Oklahoma, USA. I started looking at Kingsdown mattresses on line and this one does not appear to be one of their top-of-the-line mattresses and even those seem to sell for less than this "Carnival" one did. Has anyone else had this happen to them, and if so, did you complain and did you get any response? It just seems a little deceptive to me. I haven't slept on this mattress yet--it may be great but it isn't the one that was on the cruise ship, apparently.

Here's the number posted on their website: Please contact Customer Service for more information or to purchase this product at:

866·469·3805 (M-F 8:15AM - 5PM EST)

Q: What is your return policy?

A: Return Policy: We are proud of the Carnival Comfort Bed collection and want you to be perfectly satisfied with your purchase. All Carnival bedding products are guaranteed. If you are not satisfied for any reason, we will gladly provide a merchandise refund for your order within 30 days of receipt. A refund or exchange will be made to the purchaser upon request. Please note that mattresses and pillows are not returnable. Order returns are subject to a 15% restock fee. Other unopened bedding products can be returned within 30 days of receipt. Returns to Our Processing Center Items being returned require a Returned Goods Authorization (RGA) number. The RGA number can be obtained by calling the In Room Retail Services Customer Service Department at 866-469-3805 or via fax at 866-469-3806. For items being sent to our Returns department, please be sure to ship your item by insured, traceable mail. This service is offered by USPS, UPS, FedEx and other carriers. Please include a note with your address and daytime phone number along with your instructions and a copy of your order confirmation or packing slip, and sent to: In Room Retail Services Carnival Bedding Return Processing Center 2 Foster Ave. Gibbsboro, NJ 08026

Edited by Justsyd

That return policy kinda stinks if you ask me. Glad you warned me too, though I was only thinking of the pillows.

You are right about the stinkage factor of their return policy. It's what kept me from buying one for myself.

I did, however, buy the Carnival Comfort bed for my dog, and for the years he used it - - he loved it. :)

Edited by DGP1111

Ack, so I went to the Carnival bed site and under manufacturer it says UOM, and this acronym seems to mean "Unified Ordering Model" it's the only one that makes some sense...underneath it, it says Eastborn Marine...I am guessing that Carnival gets US manufacturers to deliver to specs they purchase from Eastborn to avoid the international shipping...maybe...?:confused:

Says the same thing for the pillows...now I have to say I do have the pillows Fire, and they are every bit the ship pillows, wonderful and so worth the price....

That said, it stinks that they are not clear!! OP have you slept on the mattress at all? I would love to hear what you think...

Now I am calling them too to find out more!!

Here's the number posted on their website: Please contact Customer Service for more information or to purchase this product at:

866·469·3805 (M-F 8:15AM - 5PM EST)

Q: What is your return policy?

A: Return Policy: We are proud of the Carnival Comfort Bed collection and want you to be perfectly satisfied with your purchase. All Carnival bedding products are guaranteed. If you are not satisfied for any reason, we will gladly provide a merchandise refund for your order within 30 days of receipt. A refund or exchange will be made to the purchaser upon request. Please note that mattresses and pillows are not returnable. Order returns are subject to a 15% restock fee. Other unopened bedding products can be returned within 30 days of receipt. Returns to Our Processing Center Items being returned require a Returned Goods Authorization (RGA) number. The RGA number can be obtained by calling the In Room Retail Services Customer Service Department at 866-469-3805 or via fax at 866-469-3806. For items being sent to our Returns department, please be sure to ship your item by insured, traceable mail. This service is offered by USPS, UPS, FedEx and other carriers. Please include a note with your address and daytime phone number along with your instructions and a copy of your order confirmation or packing slip, and sent to: In Room Retail Services Carnival Bedding Return Processing Center 2 Foster Ave. Gibbsboro, NJ 08026

Maybe I am wrong but I thought a mattress and pillow was part of "bedding products".

Sounds like a political warranty to me. I wish you good luck.

Edited by Offroad

We bought just the pillows and they are awesome! We even take them with us when we go to the beach! SO comfy!!!!!

Exactly!! I see now the OP just received it today and I hope they try it out and love it too...

STILL do not like the way it's on the website, too tricky entirely!!

Edited by floatingaway2525

Maybe I am wrong but I thought a mattress and pillow was part of "bedding products".

Sounds like a political warranty to me. I wish you good luck.

Bedding is the stuff you put ON your mattress and pillow. That really blows that they'll only guarantee the cheap stuff and not the big purchases (the bed itself)

To the OP, i wish you luck in getting to the bottom of this. Hope it all turns out well for you.

We purchased a Kingsdown 2 years ago and I love it, no complaints although it isn't totally like sleeping on a Carnival bed.

I also ordered pillows after our last cruise. I don't usually sleep well when I'm away but do on a ship. I'm sure it's partly the rocking and ocean sound but the pilllows are great.

We purchased a Kingsdown 2 years ago and I love it, no complaints although it isn't totally like sleeping on a Carnival bed.

I also ordered pillows after our last cruise. I don't usually sleep well when I'm away but do on a ship. I'm sure it's partly the rocking and ocean sound but the pilllows are great.

Did you buy your mattress through Carnival also? If the Kingsdown is made the same--and sleeps the same minus the lull of the ship, etc,-- I guess I will be satisfied. I think I will still feel a little deceived, though....

Did you buy your mattress through Carnival also? If the Kingsdown is made the same--and sleeps the same minus the lull of the ship, etc,-- I guess I will be satisfied. I think I will still feel a little deceived, though....

No, we bought it from a local retailer. I had been looking for awhile for a new mattress because of back pain our old one was causing. After 2 nights....no more aches or pains. I agree with you feeling deceived after spending so much money on something. I hope it all works out.

Ack, so I went to the Carnival bed site and under manufacturer it says UOM, and this acronym seems to mean "Unified Ordering Model" it's the only one that makes some sense...underneath it, it says Eastborn Marine...I am guessing that Carnival gets US manufacturers to deliver to specs they purchase from Eastborn to avoid the international shipping...maybe...?:confused:

Says the same thing for the pillows...now I have to say I do have the pillows Fire, and they are every bit the ship pillows, wonderful and so worth the price....

That said, it stinks that they are not clear!! OP have you slept on the mattress at all? I would love to hear what you think...

Now I am calling them too to find out more!!

I will let you know how it sleeps! I feel like an idiot for not finding out what "UOM" means. I did research Eastborn Marine, read about their springs, construction, padding, etc--thought I was being so careful--and, then, they didn't even make the mattress! Just as a side note, I called the Carnival bedding customer service line multiple times leaving messages, trying to order the mattress and even talked to the customer service rep once and she tried to convince me that my frame was a California King and the mattress wouldn't fit. I measured, retested sheets and even found the paperwork on the mattress that I was currently using (a 10 year old Stearns-Foster) to reassure her and myself that a king was the right size. Why was I so stubborn?????

Bedding is the stuff you put ON your mattress not the big purchases (the bed itself)

To the OP, i wish you luck in getting to the bottom of this. Hope it all turns out well for you.

That makes sense, what does this man know about bedding anyway. Obviously nothing:o. I do hope the matter gets handled appropriately.

• 4 years later...

Where do you find the ability to order the mattress? I slept so well on their bed. I can't find the mattress's at all on the Carnival Comfort Page. I think I will be ordering the pillows also. I only had one headache all week and that was from the rough seas. I come home and I have had a headache ever since. :-(

Where do you find the ability to order the mattress? I slept so well on their bed. I can't find the mattress's at all on the Carnival Comfort Page. I think I will be ordering the pillows also. I only had one headache all week and that was from the rough seas. I come home and I have had a headache ever since. :-(

Where in the world did you find this 4 year old thread:eek:

Regardless of what their return policy says, if they did not ship the product you purchased, you should be able to return it, at their cost.

If you purchased a mattress advertised as made in one location, and received another- that is not legal. Those things matter.

What will really help is if you used a credit card to make the purchase. They can go to bat for you to get the return processed if Carnival declines it. If Carnival won't send you a free return shipping label; issue a chargeback. They did not sell you what they advertised and you paid for.

(Edit: Just made it to page 2 and realized this thread was a zombie. oops)

Edited by skittl1321

Just a thought - since the ships are built in Europe it would make sense that the original mattresses put into the cabins are the ones made in the Netherlands. Replacement mattresses for ships already in the US market are probably the ones from the US manufacturer. Perhaps that may be why some people do not find the beds as comfortable as they used to be.

Personally, the best nights sleep I ever had was on the MSC Divina. They have the most comfortable mattresses I have ever slept on. They also use luxurious linens by Mascioni® Italy - softest sheets ever!