HELP - What is the best/easiest Florida port to cruise out of?

4cats1house

Planning a cruise out of Florida. Can't decide where to sail from

Tampa

Miami

Port Canaveral

We will fly in the day before and might stay a day after.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Depending on where you are cruising to, my vote would be Port Canaveral.

Less than one hour from Orlando Int'l Airport, easy boarding process,less hectic than Miami or Ft. Lauderdale

Thanks for the fast replies.

We are considering a Western Caribbean on an NCL ship. That is about as far as we got so far.

Since we have always cruised the West coast I am just trying to gather information.

Port Canaveral seems a long drive (about 1 hour) from Orlando airport.

Fort Lauderdale is not an option for the NCL cruises.

Tampa is easy access from downtown hotels and some airport hotels via shuttles and pretty good port facilities. FLL is a good port to cruise out of too, albeit the port facilities can get crowded with several ships leaving the same day.

Miami is a reasoanble taxi ride from the airport, but no hotels near port with shuttles you need to take a taxi. And only two or three decent hotels within a short(5-10 minute) cab ride.

PC is a good port, but you must either rent a car or pay larger shuttle fees to get there from the airport. In PC there are several good nearby hotels but again you have to pay for shuttle or taxi to get to the port.

Tampa is easier, cheaper and less crowded than Miami but you'll have fewer sailings to choose from. Both have airports just a 15 minute/$25 cab ride from the port. PC is a pain if you are flying because of the distance from port to MCO. Good luck! :)

Easiest sometimes will get a different answer depending on where you are coming from.

If you are coming from the West Coast I would say that Miami is the easiest because of the selection and the frequency of flights, including direct flights, to Miami.

Having sailed out of all of the ports I would make my decision first based on itinerary and second based on flight schedules.

And do that based on your requirements.

Keith

I guess everyone has a different opinion on the subject! I would say Miami for sure. Easy place to fly in and out, resonable fares, tons of great hotels and night life close by. Giant cruise port, ton's of options, ultra modern terminals.

Definitely not Canaveral. Too far from Orlando. Haven't done Tampa but Miami and FT. Lauderdale were very easy. Lauderdale is more convenient with respect to restaurants and stores (especially wine) but the Miami sailaway is the most scenic.

Personally, I vote for Tampa. Have flowing into and out of FLL, Miami and Tampa many times for cruises and into Orlando several times for land based vacations.

Tampa cruise port is a snap to embark and disembark from. Hotels are often cheaper than those in Miami or Orlando. Flying in to Orlando requires either a shuttle transfer to Cape Canaveral of the rental of a car to make the short trip to the port.

Tampa has a great trolley system that can take you around the downtown area and many of the downtown area hotels offer free hotel shuttle service to the pier or to shopping areas within a 2 - 3 mile area around their hotels.

Dianne

I would avoid using Miami airport if possible. First it's very large and you need to take a skytrain to get to the gates or main terminal. Plus it's just too chaotic.

In January we flew into Miami from the West Coast. We arrived about 6:00 PM. It took us 20-25 minutes to get from our gate (after we exited the plane) to the luggage area. Then we stood around for 60 minutes before the luggage started coming out. Then it was 15 minutes to get a taxi. Basically it took over 90 minutes to get from the arrival gate and in to a taxi heading to the hotel.

On the return, they had three gate changes. We seemed to be constantly running from one gate to the skytrain then to another gate. For us, we plan to avoid Miami airport if possible on future trips.

Archived