Booking With US Sites & US TA's

All I can say again is a month or so ago I tried to book my South American Star Princess cruise in 2011 with one of the biggest US on line 't/a's, the reply I got back from their Chairman was 'Princess will not permit us to make reservations passengers other than US or Canadian citizens.'

Someone is playing ducks and drakes.

Shop around there are plenty of reputable US agents on line.

From the website of a well known US TA -- the cruiselines below do not allow overseas passengers to book with US TA's

Costa Cruises

Cunard

Holland America

MSC Cruises

Princess*

Royal Caribbean

Star Clippers

There is no mention of Carnival or Celebrity.

Barry

The following cruise lines prohibit U.S. travel agencies (including ...name of travel agency...) from selling cruises to citizens of countries other than the U.S. and Canada, unless they have a residence in the U.S. or Canada. This is not a (name of travel agency) policy or a U.S. government policy, it is a corporate policy instituted by each of these cruise lines.

Costa Cruises

Cunard

Holland America

MSC Cruises

Princess*

Royal Caribbean

Star Clippers

Bazzaw it's good your travel agent in the UK sold you your cruise, my agent from the UK has said she can't.

Any ideas anyone, other than saying (and meaning it) that we will book with Carnival, Cebebrity or MSC?

Rassa

The following cruise lines prohibit U.S. travel agencies (including ...name of travel agency...) from selling cruises to citizens of countries other than the U.S. and Canada, unless they have a residence in the U.S. or Canada. This is not a (name of travel agency) policy or a U.S. government policy, it is a corporate policy instituted by each of these cruise lines.

Costa Cruises

Cunard

Holland America

MSC Cruises

Princess*

Royal Caribbean

Star Clippers

Bazzaw it's good your travel agent in the UK sold you your cruise, my agent from the UK has said she can't.

Any ideas anyone, other than saying (and meaning it) that we will book with Carnival, Cebebrity or MSC?

Rassa

Rassa

email me

didiaust@optusnet dot com dot au

From the website of a well known US TA -- the cruiselines below do not allow overseas passengers to book with US TA's

Costa Cruises

Cunard

Holland America

MSC Cruises

Princess*

Royal Caribbean

Star Clippers

There is no mention of Carnival or Celebrity.

Barry

The most ridiculous thing about it all is P&O, Princess,Cunard,Costa are all owned by Carnival

Costa Cruises

Cunard

Holland America

MSC Cruises

Princess*

Royal Caribbean

Star Clippers

Rassa

Your statement is not factual, you are either putting a brick wall up out of fear of booking online or you are not ringing the online agents to get the correct facts.

Your statement is not factual, you are either putting a brick wall up out of fear of booking online or you are not ringing the online agents to get the correct facts.

Actually, his statement is entirely factual as the statement posted is from a major online travel agent.

Further, posters have reported being refused due to that policy being applied on them.

Like many things, there may or may not be times that the policy is not applied or is circumvented, but that doesn't alter the situation.

Personally, I would be quite happy to book cruises through a US online TA with cruiselines that are NOT mentioned by name as being "verboten" . I would even be happy to ask the TA quietly if they would accept a booking with a cruiseline on the "no-no" list. BUT - if they said yes to the latter , I would want a VERY good explanation as to why they are saying yes on the phone when their website specifically says no - BEFORE I sent any of my hard-earned money to them!!!

I suspect that the TA proprietor has a much bigger stake at risk to do the correct thing (as dictated to him/her by the cruiselines) than the individual commission earning agents who work the phones for him.

I am just suspicious that way!!

Barry

Bazzaw and The Big M are correct, I was quoting and did not indicate that, sorry. Scaremongering was not my intention, but looking to share ideas and that is what we are doing, thanks to Lukie, who started it. If I have to ring the agents - great, thanks for the information. Keep, the info coming because I certainly don't want to pay Aussie prices. Anyone else with ideas?

Rassa

Just off the Diamond this morning...and yes we raised this issue on board too...it is not just the pricing...which is bad enough compared to the prices available through US t/a but also the booking conditions...

consider...US passengers pay much smaller deposits and with FCC letters only a $100 or so...we pay much much more

also...price drops are honoured in the US, if the price drops you notify your t/a and they match the new price..doesn't happen here

flexibility in the US... you can change your booking, add different names or cancel and rebook at little or no cost, try that in Aussie

We want to support local t/a's but travel is a world wide market if I can book any other sort of travel holiday anywhere in the world at a competitive price what makes cruising different...give us a break and we will happily book locally.

Was a fantastic cruise anyway!!!!!!!!

Just off the Diamond this morning...and yes we raised this issue on board too...it is not just the pricing...which is bad enough compared to the prices available through US t/a but also the booking conditions...

consider...US passengers pay much smaller deposits and with FCC letters only a $100 or so...we pay much much more

also...price drops are honoured in the US, if the price drops you notify your t/a and they match the new price..doesn't happen here

flexibility in the US... you can change your booking, add different names or cancel and rebook at little or no cost, try that in Aussie

We want to support local t/a's but travel is a world wide market if I can book any other sort of travel holiday anywhere in the world at a competitive price what makes cruising different...give us a break and we will happily book locally.

Was a fantastic cruise anyway!!!!!!!!

OMG, what a way to sail into Sydney Harbour with the Jewel and Sun Princess. I wish I was on the cruise with you.

OMG' date=' what a way to sail into Sydney Harbour with the Jewel and Sun Princess. I wish I was on the cruise with you.[/quote']

It was the icing on the cake of a truly fabulous cruise more than 160+ cc'ers on board and a great bunch they were!!!

Now I just have to think what next...it will be hard to top this one.

Welcome home Rugbypopsie. It's noice to have you back. The Diamond is one liner we will have to book on. I believe she has the 'wow' factor.

Cheers,

Anna

Hi Anna, the Diamond certainly is a lovely ship and we had a great crew on board...but honestly the wow factor was the fantastic CC roll call, what a happy bunch of campers we were...one of the best cruises ever and I have made so many new friends..

I have nothing booked now..after 78 days with Princess this year I am having separation anxiety and I only got off yesterday:eek:

The Diamond is one liner we will have to book on. I believe she has the 'wow' factor. Cheers,Anna

Hi Anna,

Till this cruise , I have been a fan of the smaller ships, Pacific, Tahitian, etc, then tried Dawn, which was OK,......

but Diamond is as you say

WOW.....

heaps of space on board,

never felt crowded,

always got a seat in the theatre,

always got a space in the lifts,

always got a sun lounger,

always got a seat in the buffet,

always got food,

it just rolls on and on.

It was my first cruise with

Anytime Dining,

and I can assure you,

no probs, not even a bleeper to go away and have a drink while they got a table ready.

The Diamond Princess is a fantastic ship.

Hi Anna,

Till this cruise , I have been a fan of the smaller ships, Pacific, Tahitian, etc, then tried Dawn, which was OK,......

but Diamond is as you say

WOW.....

heaps of space on board,

never felt crowded,

always got a seat in the theatre,

always got a space in the lifts,

always got a sun lounger,

always got a seat in the buffet,

always got food,

it just rolls on and on.

It was my first cruise with

Anytime Dining,

and I can assure you,

no probs, not even a bleeper to go away and have a drink while they got a table ready.

The Diamond Princess is a fantastic ship.

So I gather you had a good time????:eek::D

Hi. I share the frustration. Here's an extract from an email I received from a leading online US TA a few days ago when I tried to book a Royal Caribbean cruise with them:

"...I am sorry to say that Royal Caribbean now prohibits U.S. travel agencies (including XXXXXXXX) from selling cruises to citizens of countries other than the United States and Canada, unless they have a residence in the U.S. or Canada. This is not a XXXXXXXX policy or a U.S. government policy, it is a corporate policy instituted by each of these cruise lines. We are very disappointed in the restrictions that have been placed on U.S. travel agencies..."

Hi. I share the frustration. Here's an extract from an email I received from a leading online US TA a few days ago when I tried to book a Royal Caribbean cruise with them:

"...I am sorry to say that Royal Caribbean now prohibits U.S. travel agencies (including XXXXXXXX) from selling cruises to citizens of countries other than the United States and Canada, unless they have a residence in the U.S. or Canada. This is not a XXXXXXXX policy or a U.S. government policy, it is a corporate policy instituted by each of these cruise lines. We are very disappointed in the restrictions that have been placed on U.S. travel agencies..."

Absoutely on the money! This is not a law of any country but a restriction on free trade by the cruise lines and perhaps the Australian travel agents! Unless we continue to protest we will be held to ransom by unfair practices and booking conditions...we dont want much just a fair go...all of us irrespective of whatever cruise line you support should continue to let them know how we feel...these practices are causing a great deal of ill will and resentment in the cruise loving Australian public.

Why should we part with more of our hard earned wages than we have to?

Get out your pens, emails, or whatever and join the campaign we all stand to gain. Find out the CEO of your favourite cruise line and drop them a line...I am thinking of approaching the new Ambassador to Australia since he is just down the road.

This thread has been extremely interesting reading, as in 8 days we board ROS for 17 nights to NZ out of Sydney & I booked & paid with a German based TA. The price was so much in our favour(better than I could find with a US TA) that I forfeited a deposit on Dawn Princess($AU800) booked with Princess Australia, & booked this longer cruise & was still way ahead. At no time has there been any indication of a problem with this booking, in fact I have found this TA to be very prompt with any info, queries or changes. All documents were forwarded (if at first in German) promptly to me all indicating that we are Australian citizens.

I believe I have the right to shop around for the best price of a product that I wish to purchase whatever that product might be, & I do. If next time I find it with a different TA, I will do so.

Let's just say, it is going to very interesting now at embarkation. I will be on full alert & forewarned if any snags come up.

Will let you know of outcome.

I believe I have the right to shop around for the best price of a product that I wish to purchase whatever that product might be, & I do. If next time I find it with a different TA, I will do so.

Let's just say, it is going to very interesting now at embarkation. I will be on full alert & forewarned if any snags come up.

Will let you know of outcome.

Well said Jane.........the cruise lines are fully aware of everyone's status prior to final payment and document issue....and in the case of OUR bookings they are the ones that take the deposit and final payment not the travel agency....in this world of litigation i do not for one moment believe that they would leave themselves open to legal action for denying boarding to someone unless the reason was LEGITIMATE.

I am having no problems booking with overseas TA's.....have a great cruise ...cheers Shiona

Well said Jane.........the cruise lines are fully aware of everyone's status prior to final payment and document issue....and in the case of OUR bookings they are the ones that take the deposit and final payment not the travel agency....in this world of litigation i do not for one moment believe that they would leave themselves open to legal action for denying boarding to someone unless the reason was LEGITIMATE.

I am having no problems booking with overseas TA's.....have a great cruise ...cheers Shiona

Hi Shiona

I think that this is a bit of a storm in a teacup.:rolleyes: Last ROS cruise, we traveled with quite a few Australians, that had booked with US TA's, without a hitch. As you say, this is not a valid reason to refuse embarkation, as they took all monies from me for this cruise without prejudices.

We will sure have another great cruise on the lovely ROS:D

The problem is the cruiselines ultimately. Yes it's an international marketplace, with the advent of the internet and online trading.

However the cruise lines still are living in the past and only offer the Australian sales agents (who then on sell to TAs) less competative rates because they see the demand in Australia lower comparion to the US. And it is, we have a much smaller market here in comparison to the US (21 million vs 300 million popn).

The reality is however due to the internet and the ability for us to communicate without these considerations, the market is more open than the cruise lines would like, and as such the pricing given to the general sales agents (which the TAs in Australia use) should be in line with what is on offer in the US.

The problem is the cruiselines ultimately. Yes it's an international marketplace, with the advent of the internet and online trading.

However the cruise lines still are living in the past and only offer the Australian sales agents (who then on sell to TAs) less competative rates because they see the demand in Australia lower comparion to the US. And it is, we have a much smaller market here in comparison to the US (21 million vs 300 million popn).

The reality is however due to the internet and the ability for us to communicate without these considerations, the market is more open than the cruise lines would like, and as such the pricing given to the general sales agents (which the TAs in Australia use) should be in line with what is on offer in the US.

I wonder how much the Australian TAs have had to do with this change of booking with on-line and overseas TAs. Recently friends wanted to book on ROS around New Zealand. They printed out some good prices from on-line US based TAs and took them into their local travel agent. No way would the local travel agent even consider going near the on-line prices. The price they ended up paying was probably double.

I have written to Royal Caribbean and their official statement is the same as others have quoted here in this thread. Also have seen the statement on one of the on-line Travel Agents.

I think it is a real shame that we no longer have a choice about who we book with. May be our only choice is to choose the cruise lines that are not putting this restriction on us.

Archived