Rhine water levels

mdbabs

My DH and I will be on the May 12th Uniworld River Queen cruise from Basel to Amsterdam. We received an email today from friends telling us that the Rhine is very low and that cruise ships are being affected. Can someone confirm this or provide any additional information?

Many thanks, Barbara

Barbara,

I can confirm that the Rhine river levels are pretty low. We didn´t have much rain over the last few months. Especially April was pretty hot and dry. There was a coverage about the Rhine river levels in the TV news maybe two days ago. Freight ships have to take on less freight already. Cruise ships usually don´t draw that much water. But they can be affected when a landing area hasn´t enough water to dock anymore.

steamboats

We are departing from Basel on Avalon this Sunday and just found out we have to now go by bus to Strasbourg. The urgent email didn't state how long of a bus ride does anyone have any idea ? Donna

Just received an email from Uniworld. I'm copying the key paragraph:

While it is true that the Rhine water levels have recently dropped, the River Queen is currently sailing according to our planned itineraries, and we do not foresee the water level having any impact on your river cruise next week. I hope this information comes as a relief to you as you plan and prepare for your cruise.

This is good news, but my fingers are still crossed!

Barbara

I am on the Amacello now. The Rhine is very low. The ship sailed from Rudesheim to Boppard today. It couldn't dock in Boppard due to low water level. It then sailed to Koblenz. The ship had to go very slow due to the low water levels. It took twice as long to sail as it should have. Tomorrow we sail up the Mosel. Hope that the water level on the Mosel is better. Parts of the Rhine are closing down. This not a good year for river cruising on the Rhine. good chance you'll be on a bus.

Thanks for the update. I just did a google search and they are experiencing drought conditions with major impact on crops. The good news is that they are predicting some rain to return in late May with a return to more normal rainfall after that. So let's hope for us and them, that they get a some good rain in the coming months.

Thanks for the update. I just did a google search and they are experiencing drought conditions with major impact on crops. The good news is that they are predicting some rain to return in late May with a return to more normal rainfall after that. So let's hope for us and them, that they get a some good rain in the coming months.

Thanks for the info. Sure hope they get some rain soon, both for the crops and those of us who have river cruises planned in June.

We are currently on the Avalon Rhine cruise and arrived in Amsterdam early this morning. We could not board on Basal as the ship couldn't make it down so we had to be bus to Strausbourgh . Tonight is our last night and we had no rain . The levels are very low and the ships are struggling. Good news the crew is doing everything possible along with the captain to make it enjoyable.

Donna

Our Rhine cruise isn't until the end of June, so we really have our fingers crossed. I didn't think the river levels would get this low this early.

When are you going & which itinerary are you doing? We are on Treasures of the Rhine, June 26.

I guess it depends on the ship because I just got off the Uniworld River Countess this morning in Basel. We made it from Strasbourg last night with no problem at all, although the water levels were pretty low.

I was on the River Countess with Linda, and we were fine, although the levels were low. However, Uniworld's new S.S. Antoinette couldn't make it to Basel, since it has a deeper draft, and passengers were bused the last portion.

I have been planning to book a Rhine river cruise from Amsterdam to Basel in late July to early August. I know that if river levels get too low, we would end up being bused along the route.

Does anyone know enough about water levels to know if low water levels now are likely to mean even lower levels in July-August? I looked at a little history and it appears that water levels typically drop over the summer but I could use some advice from someone with experience!

I don't want to book a cruise if there is a good chance we will end up traveling by bus. Thanks for any input anyone can give me!

Kcaper,

Sorry, but noone can tell you anything about the river levels in July or August. It all depends on the weather! We had a hot April last year and a rainy August. You never know what it will be this year.

August usually is supposed to be dry and hot but usually that does not affect the river levels very much.

steamboats

We were on last week's Viking Helvetia. We were bussed to Heidleberg for lunch and then swapped ships with the Viking Sun Passengers. We missed Rudesheim but Viking chartered a boat to take us on the Middle Rhine. - Three Hours on a bus and a night to repack. I just wish they had told people up front instead of waiting until the night we had to pack.

However, it was well done. The two ships are identical.

Just got off a Rhine cruise on Viking Helvetia on May 15th. We started out from Amsterdam on the Viking Sun but it couldn't make it up the river due to the low levels. We were on a bus for 3hrs and switched with the passengers on the Helvetia. Not the best situation but the crew was amazing and made the transfer seamless for the passengers. We were told that Viking has some of the biggest ships on the river and I did notice that the other lines seemed to be getting through. I will pray that they get enough rain as they are desperate for it and I hope all of your plans go accordingly.

We still had a great trip and I think it is the best way to see the interior of Europe!

When are you going & which itinerary are you doing? We are on Treasures of the Rhine, June 26.

Hi - we are leaving on June 23rd from Basel. I am getting concerned about the river levels and am sure hoping for rain soon.

Archived