Booking With US Sites & US TA's

I've just seen advertised that Channel 7's Today Tonight show is going to do a segment tomorrow evening on how we are paying way too much for travel. They specifically showed images of Princess and HAL cruise ships and I got the impression it will mostly be aimed at the cruise industry. Should be interesting viewing.

So people are condemned for utilising perks of their employment? I don't get that.

I book with whoever I can get the best rate. I share my wealth around the globe to aid the GLOBAL financial crisis :p My forthcoming cruise was booked through a US TA. It was half the price of booking through an OZ TA. Yes I did a lot of shopping around. Why the heck would I pay double for the same thing, regardless of keeping the funds in OZ? I don't get why people would do that either. What goes around comes around. In future times the dollar will drop out.....we'll all start booking in OZ again. It's the cycle of life.

As for all jobs getting perks.....

I used to work in the travel industry and enjoyed the perks....the pay sucked! Many times it was cheaper to buy the discounted fare, get a seat and know you when you were coming and going. I know quite a few people who were stuck overseas recently when Qantas put an embargo on staff travel due to the A380's being pulled from service. They all had to pay one way full airfares to get home :eek:

I used to work for a bank and enjoyed the perks....the pay sucked!

I now work in health care......the pay sucks and there are NO PERKS!

I buy my travel insurance in OZ :D

Hmmm Today Tonight.....that should be an unbiased report :eek: :rolleyes: :p

So people are condemned for utilising perks of their employment? I don't get that.

I book with whoever I can get the best rate. I share my wealth around the globe to aid the GLOBAL financial crisis :p My forthcoming cruise was booked through a US TA. It was half the price of booking through an OZ TA. Yes I did a lot of shopping around. Why the heck would I pay double for the same thing, regardless of keeping the funds in OZ? I don't get why people would do that either. What goes around comes around. In future times the dollar will drop out.....we'll all start booking in OZ again. It's the cycle of life.

As for all jobs getting perks.....

I used to work in the travel industry and enjoyed the perks....the pay sucked! Many times it was cheaper to buy the discounted fare, get a seat and know you when you were coming and going. I know quite a few people who were stuck overseas recently when Qantas put an embargo on staff travel due to the A380's being pulled from service. They all had to pay one way full airfares to get home :eek:

I used to work for a bank and enjoyed the perks....the pay sucked!

I now work in health care......the pay sucks and there are NO PERKS!

I buy my travel insurance in OZ :D

Hmmm Today Tonight.....that should be an unbiased report :eek: :rolleyes: :p

yes most of us do shop around as we all should.

Petty you dont work for the QLD gov they have plenty of perks.

yes most of us do shop around as we all should.

Petty you dont work for the QLD gov they have plenty of perks.

I know several people who work for the Q'ld govt and they don't have any perks. Many who work in the health system haven't even been able to get their correct pay - forget perks. Maybe the politicians have plenty of perks, but those who work for the government don't.

I know several people who work for the Q'ld govt and they don't have any perks. Many who work in the health system haven't even been able to get their correct pay - forget perks. Maybe the politicians have plenty of perks, but those who work for the government don't.

two words......... rem serv.

ask your friends about it.

Donna, I booked our Jan 2011 cruise through a US T/A and bought our Travel Insurance here in Australia. At no time when I bought our insurance was I asked in which country I purchased the cruise - I think the insurers are more interested in starting and ending your trip in Australia regardless of what you do in between.

Thanks Dougo!

Donna

Sorry to disillusion you regarding cheap interest rates for Bank Employees, that is really a thing of the past....I am a senior manager with a big 4 Bank and a 29-year employee, the FBT rules have really stopped the discount rates, what you take up in discount you give up through reduced pay.

With regards the fares that are paid, perhaps you can give an example of what would be payable for a Business Class flight to the states as a 10 year plus Qantas employee?? I acknowledge the restriction issue though.

Dave, i was a bank employee many moons ago and 1% discount on standard variable was the norm, plus no fees. Thanks for clarifying though, times change. J Class fare to the states is around the same as a Virgin Economy fare. So essentially it's like getting a free upgrade. Although that being said, there was a complete embargo on travel up until the end of November. Virtually no travel anywhere out of Australia due to A380 (my personal motto, if it aint Boeing, I aint going!). That's gotta stuff up your holiday plans, but great for the local economy. Speaking of FBT, I hear Virgin just challenged a ruling with the ATO and won re: providing parking for staff at the airport. Another winner! Hoges, Virgin, who next?

two words......... rem serv.

ask your friends about it.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but just a short comment on this post. RemServ (correct spelling) is a salary packaging company. Following is a quote from their website -

Salary packaging is an arrangement between an employer and an employee, where the employer provides the employee with benefits in return for an agreed salary adjustment.

It is quite different from an airline selling unsold seats to employees for 10% of the usual fare without taking anything from their salary, or a cruiseline allowing staff to bring their families on board for a cruise. By the way, I have no objection to such employees getting this benefit. I am just pointing out the difference.

Dave, i was a bank employee many moons ago and 1% discount on standard variable was the norm, plus no fees. Thanks for clarifying though, times change. J Class fare to the states is around the same as a Virgin Economy fare. So essentially it's like getting a free upgrade. Although that being said, there was a complete embargo on travel up until the end of November. Virtually no travel anywhere out of Australia due to A380 (my personal motto, if it aint Boeing, I aint going!). That's gotta stuff up your holiday plans, but great for the local economy. Speaking of FBT, I hear Virgin just challenged a ruling with the ATO and won re: providing parking for staff at the airport. Another winner! Hoges, Virgin, who next?

Hi Elisha,

A great response, thanks for your comments. Hope you did not take offense to my comments, they were not directed at airline staff, or travel professionals in any way, really just ponting out that comparing Interline fares and standard TA fares may not be a good comparision.

With your personal motto, if it aint Boeing, I aint going, I guess you wont be changing your sign-in name to flygirla380 any time soon!!

Regards,

These interline rates are they only for the actual employee in the travel industry? OR do they extend to immediate family? Can anyone tell me?

Hi Les this might give you a small in insight into eligibility this can vary with suppliers

Cruise Line Employees

Active Cruise Line Employee

Spouse or friend, traveling in the same cabin, of Active Cruise Line Employee

Spouse of Active Cruise Line Employee

Dependent children traveling with Active Cruise Line Employee

Parents of Active Cruise Line Employee

Retired Cruise Line Employee

Also certain cruislines have exemptions re: their staff buying their product through trade travel agencies....

Airline Employees

Retired Airline Employees

Spouses and Dependents of Airline Employees

Parents and In-laws of Airline Employees

Major Courier/Cargo Companies Employees

Military Employees

Air Traffic Controllers

FAA, MATCA, NPA, IATA, ALPA, SITA and ARC

This i have quoted from an email reply i received a while back from a trade agency, my cousin is longhaul cabin crew with Qantas and she put me onto them, when i queried as to why there was no category for membership for my John ...afterall we hold Seamans Passports and up until 3 months ago worked on the ships albeit self employed....:D they said they would look into it....yeah sure....:rolleyes::rolleyes: too hard basket me thinks.:D

Since my time in the travel trade things obviously have changed a lot we were never bumped off flights, the discounts on travel were enormous and family were included the discount rate altered depending on how close they were to you....even the inlaws were included.......:D and we were always being presented with "familes" which were all expenses paid holidays all over the place which were given so we would promote their product........... ahhhhh the good old days..... cheers Shiona

I don't want to hijack this thread, but just a short comment on this post. RemServ (correct spelling) is a salary packaging company. Following is a quote from their website -

Salary packaging is an arrangement between an employer and an employee, where the employer provides the employee with benefits in return for an agreed salary adjustment.

It is quite different from an airline selling unsold seats to employees for 10% of the usual fare without taking anything from their salary, or a cruiseline allowing staff to bring their families on board for a cruise. By the way, I have no objection to such employees getting this benefit. I am just pointing out the difference.

rem serv ( RemServ (correct spelling) very petty.

any way i take it you did not ask your friends about.

RemServ as you have said. you clame your electric bill and there is no tax, stamp duty or ambulance levy, your family car as long as it is under five yrs old including the loan fuel rego insurance maintence all clamable and comes out of your wage before tax and there are many more things that Qld goverment eployed people can clame , and that is a fact.

sence you have the web link you should read it. it will tell you all about it or you could still ask your friends because they are missing out on a very good thing and could save them 1000's in income tax. then they could go on more cruises

quote (I know several people who work for the Q'ld govt and they don't have any perks. Many who work in the health system haven't even been able to get their correct pay - forget perks. Maybe the politicians have plenty of perks, but those who work for the government don't.)

Since my time in the travel trade things obviously have changed a lot we were never bumped off flights, the discounts on travel were enormous and family were included the discount rate altered depending on how close they were to you....even the inlaws were included.......:D and we were always being presented with "familes" which were all expenses paid holidays all over the place which were given so we would promote their product........... ahhhhh the good old days..... cheers Shiona

Very true... but prices have come down massively in real terms as well. I doubt there were ever $50 (and below) domestic air tickets for public sale before now. As the companies' revenue has fallen, so have the perks, hence why as mentioned some travel staff just find it easier (and sometimes cheaper) just to buy the regular public rates.

quote (I know several people who work for the Q'ld govt and they don't have any perks. Many who work in the health system haven't even been able to get their correct pay - forget perks. Maybe the politicians have plenty of perks, but those who work for the government don't.)

I guess you could say it is a perk, but unlike the other examples that had been discussed before you introduced that, it's not something paid for/costing the employer. In fact, in some instances, they're making money from it!

## Thied... re Government employee perks, you forgot about the half price McDonalds available to ALL Police, Ambulance Officers and FireFighters ! LOL.

But that 'perk is world wide.' That is if you want to eat the 'plastic burger.'

Princess and other US cruiselines also offer Defence Force people and Police/Firefighters cruise discounts and OBC. Nothing like that here.

i just received this email from a big well known US TA, i cant mention names

I just received word that Princess has lifted their restrictions on international passengers. The only stipulation is that you must book your reservation and pay in full in December 2010. Starting on January 1, only customers who've previously reserved Princess with us can do so

rkmw

I just received word that Princess has lifted their restrictions on international passengers. The only stipulation is that you must book your reservation and pay in full in December 2010. Starting on January 1, only customers who've previously reserved Princess with us can do so

rkmw

Hmmmm that sounds more like a marketing tactic by the TA than anything else :p

Hmmmm that sounds more like a marketing tactic by the TA than anything else :p

hi deb, i not sure what to make of it but anyone that has used this big volume TA and wish to cruise princess overseas now is the chance to book

i just checked out the site and any local princess cruise from oz could most probly match their price

rkmw

hi deb, i not sure what to make of it but anyone that has used this big volume TA and wish to cruise princess overseas now is the chance to book

I think it's valid, but I think anyone who has used them before is fine to book again without needing to book. This is just for those who are new and wanted to book something (or have the easy ability to do so through them in the future).

rkmw

It is good news if this is the case.

I am finding this very confusing though. If Princess has lifted their restrictions on international customers, why wouldn't new customers be able to book eg in January?

It seems odd to me that they would say they have lifted restrictions but only to previous customers, when the whole problem was overseas people didn't have a chance to be customers in the first place.

One month's moratorium is hardly fair.

Sounds a bit sus, only allowing former customers to book this way.

Not so much, they're the ones who've already experienced the approach, so are most aggrieved that they can't do as they've done before.

New ones can be told what the current policy is. Of course, they won't be happy, but it's still not something they've done in the past either.

Archived