Quad Cabins, Who Cruises In Them

I just wondering whether anyone would know the typical occupant of a Quad cabin

I for one could not think of much worse to be in a small cabin with 3 other adults.

We have used them with the kids but even with ours being 14 and 11 it's a bit squeezy and we have paid the extra for a suite recently.

Just wondering, the game's not much good on the telly.

Paul

I for one could not think of much worse to be in a small cabin with 3 other adults.

We have used them with the kids but even with ours being 14 and 11 it's a bit squeezy and we have paid the extra for a suite recently.

Paul

I with you, we use to do the quad cabin thing, but then we found our way to a suite and mini suite a cple of years ago and like they once you try them there is no way way to a quad cabin.

Love Thied.

We travel in a quad cabin as a family and some of my friends have also recently had a girl's week away also in a 4 berth, so I'd say Families and groups of friends would be the typical occupants. Fairly obvious really.

Why Sludger, who do you think travels in them?

There are lots of people who like to cruise frequently and 'quadding' with friends or taking lower deck inside cabins is a way of affording more for their money. After all, many say they do not spend much time in their cabins - too much else to do, even if it's just lazing on a sun lounge.

would know the typical occupant of a Quad cabin

Who would have thought quads have a "typical occupant?"

Since you're clearly more familiar with the categories and that it's simple to objectify them, care to share what the typical occupant of an ocean view is? And an inside? And a suite?

They the cruise line should make more suite and mini suite quad berth.

way more room for falmilies.

Love Thied.

Try and keep from being nasty on this thread if you can.

I can only think that any 4 adults that would share a quad cabin must be short of cash ie young adults.

Surely if you wanted to go on a cruise and had enough money you would plump for at least a 2 berth cabin.

Sorry if this might come across in the wrong fashion but some cruise lines actively promote these "friendly fours" I cannot think of anything worse.

I might have done it when I was about 18 and I would imagine that these are probably the sort of passengers that frequent these cabins.

Just interested that's all.

If no-one else is interested just don't reply, please don't participate in the thread just to have a pop at me because that must be nearly as boring for you as it for me.

Paul

I agree with Sludger here - I would rather stay at home that go on a cruise in a 4 berth cabin - with ANYBODY! - including my own family. (now that I think deeper about this, I will rephrase that to - ESPECIALLY with my own family! :)

The thing about 4 berth cabins that annoys me the most is the price advertisings - "FROM $xxxx ". Nearly always means a 4 berth , but not always!!

Barry

If you were travelling with some Dwarfs it would be positively roomy in the those quad cabins :D lol

I would imagine you would need to be mad, young and stupid and probley drunk to want to spend any extended time in one of these cabins.. :D

Recently on Bris - Syd, Sun Princess E class quad with window, 3 sisters (not so young) and 12 year old and we found the quad to be fine. Daily the top bunks were put up and we staggered our showers, plenty of mirrors to dress and we only were in the room to sleep. I only have cruised in balconies or mini suite when travelling with DH, so was apprehensive but it suited us and was great to celebrate sister's birthday. Don't know how it would be on longer cruise or rough seas and not feeling well. We did agree though that we couldn't do it in an inside quad.

I just think they're like anything. Some people are fine with those small cubicle hotels in Japan, some like them, and some don't. Some grew up in smaller apartments, and some grew up in larger houses or blocks of land. Sure, if people had heaps of money most people would probably opt for a Penthouse suite (as long as they don’t have to clean it!) but aside from that you just make a judgement about what works, the cost and so on. Some cruises you can get two twins for close to the price of a quad so in that case most would likely go for two twins. In others , the twin cost would be substantial so it’s then a case of either take the quad or not go.

Personally, I don’t see the big deal about quads as I don’t spend much time in the cabin and there’s no shortage of sleeping space compared to a twin.

We have gone on quite a few cruises (four of us, 2 adults and 2 kids- teenagers) The Quad prices have been quite a lot cheaper than 2 twins (have had 2 twins only twice) If we hadnt got the quad prices we prob wouldnt have been able to go. We have had no problems with quads at all as we only sleep there and very very rarely are we all back in cabin during day at the same time..The only time I found it very cramped was on RCCL (their cabins were tiny) but in saying that I would still rather be on a cruise in a small room than at home :p Our last cruise (Easter) we had 2 x twins, must admit it was sooo nice but when we were booking there was hardly any difference at all plus we received obc per cabin so it was actually better, pricewise, for us to have 2 rooms.. So, at the end of the day I dont care as long as I am on a cruise,the more money I can save the more cruises we can go on..... :D Fiona

We also cruise in quads (Mum, Dad, Daughter 19 and son 14). We also have our daughter's fold up wheelchair to store in the cabin and we have never had any problems.

We have rules like 2 get dressed while 2 are on the bed watching tv etc and we split our showers into 2 in the morning and 2 at night. It works well for us. The money we save means more cruises and more fun so we are happy. :D

I guess I am glad there are different types of cabins for different types of people. I would feel guilty in a Suite if I spent all of my time out on the decks. I will soon know what it is like as my next cruise I have a Mini Suite with a balcony. However, I will be going back to quads as my next cruise is an inside quad.

Like Fiona if I had the choice of being in a quad cabin or staying home I would be sailing. I think I would go even if they offered me the tender boat to sleep in.

I've only been on a couple of cruises and had assumed most quad cabins would be booked by family groups. One of my workmates had one of these for herself and their two children, who were both under 10.

My son booked a cruise and 3 of them were going to share a cabin, till one person dropped out due to finances.

So I am guessing younger groups also book them. Or else groups of like people-eg a group of 4 women or 4 friends

Probably least likely to book would be 2 separate older couples.

I know on our 2 cruises, there have been 6 of us each time but we have all booked a twin cabin. I would personally hate to share with other adults, though I would have shared with my kids when they were young.

As for the type of cabin-we have all only ever had inside cabins. That hasn't been preference exactly as I for one would love nothing better than to have a balcony or at least a window. That would be my dream.

But both times, there would have been close to an extra $1000 involved per couple to book just the window cabins and we could not justify that huge increase in cost.

I long for the day we can all catch a cruise where there is only a small difference and get a window cabin.

Paul

Have you considered a Family of Battlers that may want a Holiday, Two Adults and a couple of small Children?

Paying more for a Suite is great if you can afford the double rate.

Have you considered a Family of Battlers that may want a Holiday, Two Adults and a couple of small Children?

You're describing my family and what's more I have never paid double for a suite.

I just cruise when I can afford it and when we can't we go camping.

Paul

We do not have any problem in doing this, as we have small and old children.:rolleyes:

I might be a bit slow on the uptake here but have a look at this:

http://www.pocruises.com.au/findacruise/pages/cruisefinder.aspx?ShowResults=true

I hope the link works, if it doesn't you'll have to take my word for it.

It's the latest specials from P&O

It says on the 7 day week fantastique, 4 berth from $1114 2berth from $1279.

Why would you bother cramming four into the cabin if it is only going to cost a couple of hundred bucks more for two cabins?

Paul

I might be a bit slow on the uptake here but have a look at this:

http://www.pocruises.com.au/findacruise/pages/cruisefinder.aspx?ShowResults=true

I hope the link works, if it doesn't you'll have to take my word for it.

It's the latest specials from P&O

It says on the 7 day week fantastique, 4 berth from $1114 2berth from $1279.

Why would you bother cramming four into the cabin if it is only going to cost a couple of hundred bucks more for two cabins?

Paul

Paul

Whilst I can see this might suit your family and your situation it may not suit everybody. I for one have 2 children (14 and 19 years old). You may think well great they can be in one cabin but as my daughter has major disabilities it is easier for us to share a quad cabin. Our choice and our preference. Yes I have looked at cabins priced as you have quoted and I have dreamed of my husband and I in one cabin and the kids in the other but it would just not work. We could cruise with one adult and one of the kids per cabin but we prefer to be all together.

Isn't it great that there are cabins and prices that suit all of the diverse needs of many families and single people who want to cruise. :D

Paul

Whilst I can see this might suit your family and your situation it may not suit everybody. I for one have 2 children (14 and 19 years old). You may think well great they can be in one cabin but as my daughter has major disabilities it is easier for us to share a quad cabin. Our choice and our preference. Yes I have looked at cabins priced as you have quoted and I have dreamed of my husband and I in one cabin and the kids in the other but it would just not work. We could cruise with one adult and one of the kids per cabin but we prefer to be all together.

Isn't it great that there are cabins and prices that suit all of the diverse needs of many families and single people who want to cruise. :D

I agree it looks like P&O may be coming to the party with regards to pricing.

Paul

Paul

you should email P&O to make mini suites and suites four berth.

Archived