Teen accuses RCI employee of rape

News report can be found here:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/crime/fl-royal-caribbean-rape-20110512,0,1998352.story

Reports such as this are saddening to me. It is yet another reminder that people who would commit crimes like these can be found anywhere, even places where we vacation.

My thoughts and well-wishes go out to the young victim in this case.

Be safe everyone.

Since the alleged "incident" was thoroughly investigated and nothing was done, it would appear that the "incident" as alleged either didn't happen or was not as described in the newspaper and by the plaintiff's lawyer

Could it be that the young lady in question is merely looking for some tuition assistance?

I recall a televised trial some time ago where similar allegations were made. Unfortunately for the woman complainant, the crew member was demonstrably gay and in a committed relationship with another. Also, the surveillance tapes did not bear out her allegations.

Take all these allegations with a tablespoon of salt.

Since the alleged "incident" was thoroughly investigated and nothing was done, it would appear that the "incident" as alleged either didn't happen or was not as described in the newspaper and by the plaintiff's lawyer

Could it be that the young lady in question is merely looking for some tuition assistance?

I recall a televised trial some time ago where similar allegations were made. Unfortunately for the woman complainant, the crew member was demonstrably gay and in a committed relationship with another. Also, the surveillance tapes did not bear out her allegations.

I agree, the newspaper story mentions that since the incident which was reported to authorities over 2 months ago:

"no criminal charges appear to have been filed."

Something doesn't add up! :cool:

If this is true as written, the FBI would have been all over this and it would have been criminal charges and not civil charges. Something here just doesn't seem to add up to me.

Wow - and this is why so many incidents like this on sea or on land do not get reported.

I believe, if you read properly, you will see that RCL did take action and fired the entertainer, therefore something obviously happened.

The bartender should also have been canned. He would have known full well to whom the drinks were being given.

Something here just doesn't seem to add up to me.

My thoughts exactly.

I would hope by now that we all know we cannot judge based on a media report (especially the Sun Sentinal).

It appears as though the fraternization did occur, which led to his job loss, but the other circumstances given are not enough to pass judgement. I tend to side with the findings of the FBI and U.S. Attorney, who apparently did not prosecute.

The bartender should also have been canned. He would have known full well to whom the drinks were being given.

With all respect to the victim, I think you are very wrong here. I've worked for charities at places that sell beer and wine and have very strict rules about selling, but unless RC has rules in place, which they don't that say "one person, one drink" then the bar tender is not liable, unless he knew for sure what was going on. Cruise ship bar tenders have to keep their customers happy and they don't grill every customer who buys more than one drink on how it will be consumed.

This reminds me that I need to talk to my daughter about putting herself in situations where things could happen. I don't blame any victims, but some victims could avoid becoming one if only they would only use precaution. Don't leave with a man you don't know! You hear too many stories about young women like Natalie Holloway...if only...

What doesn't add up? At the time of the incident, RCI took the complaint seriously - offered her counseling & medical help. It has only been 2 months and RCI states ""To date, the company is unaware of any charges being filed against anyone in this matter.", which doesn't mean that the investigation has been closed. Furthermore, just because he doesn't go to trial doesn't mean he wasn't guilty.

We will never know the full truth of the story. What is most disturbing is the allegations of a third party present taking pictures. Was he also an employee and if so, was he also let go by RCI? Was he also charged?

The fact that RCI has a protocol for incidents such as these indicates that there is reason to believe it could happen. And like MOSusan, I will remind my daughter that she should be in control of her actions at all times, be it on a ship or on shore.

15 years ago (wow that makes me feel old), the Wine Sommelier, on the Grandeur of the Seas, flirted with my daughter, who was 15 (and looked 25). The Wine Sommelier, was about 25 (guessing his age). On the 3rd night, he approached our table and ask if he could spend time with her at our next port, which was St Thomas. He was very nice and directed this question to her father... at that point, I said, "NO, she is just 15!" He immediately apologized and said he thought she was older. The rest of the trip he was nice and friendly, but not flirty. 5 yrs later, my daughter was now 20, this same Wine Sommelier was on our Freedom of the Seas cruise. He recognized her immediately and approached us again. He took "NO" (from her this time) very graciously.

I really hate that happened to that young teen and hope she is OK... I also want to say that in all the cruises we have had with two children - they started cruising as young as 6, and my DD is 30 and my DS is 23, that the staff have been nothing but exceptionally nice and professional.

What doesn't add up? At the time of the incident, RCI took the complaint seriously - offered her counseling & medical help. It has only been 2 months and RCI states ""To date, the company is unaware of any charges being filed against anyone in this matter.", which doesn't mean that the investigation has been closed. Furthermore, just because he doesn't go to trial doesn't mean he wasn't guilty.

We will never know the full truth of the story. What is most disturbing is the allegations of a third party present taking pictures. Was he also an employee and if so, was he also let go by RCI? Was he also charged?

The fact that RCI has a protocol for incidents such as these indicates that there is reason to believe it could happen. And like MOSusan, I will remind my daughter that she should be in control of her actions at all times, be it on a ship or on shore.

As far as the the "photographer" goes, what do you mean ALSO charged? No one has been charged as of yet. Are do you mean to ask if he was also fired?

Royal has policies regarding contact between its crew and its customers. That is why the musician was fired. 2 months is usually more than enough time to be charges in this matter. The fact that they havn't is a strong indicator that either the sex was consensual or they are having a hard time proving that it was indeed rape. But just because she said she was raped doesn't mean that she was.

It has only been 2 months and RCI states ""To date, the company is unaware of any charges being filed against anyone in this matter.", which doesn't mean that the investigation has been closed.

The filing of a civil suit tells me there are no criminal charges pending.

My thoughts exactly.

I would hope by now that we all know we cannot judge based on a media report (especially the Sun Sentinal).

It appears as though the fraternization did occur, which led to his job loss, but the other circumstances given are not enough to pass judgement. I tend to side with the findings of the FBI and U.S. Attorney, who apparently did not prosecute.

Why would they not prosecute though? Lack of evidence? Even if they said she was a willing participant -- she was only 15, wouldn't that have been enough to prosecute? Would the ship's doctor perform a rape kit onboard -- enough to stand up in court?

Not to stir the pot too much but when I was teaching, we had a young girl (she was 14) accuse a teacher of inappropriate touch and he was temporarily suspended pending an investigation. We were all shocked but never jumped to the assumption that he did it. Come to find out, she admitted that he never did anything but because some of the students didn't like him they thought they could get rid of him by claiming he did something. Needless to say she transferred from our school and it impacted the dynamic at our school. This is why I always look at both sides of the story before immediately jumping to the conclusion that someone did something that may not have happened.

What were the parents doing while teenage daughter was drinking and dancing with the crew?

Why was a teenager alone in a bar?

The article says she was on the cruise to celebrate her graduation so she was morwe than likely 18 years old (or possibly 17). Perhaps her parents felt she was mature enough at this point. At that age I would go on camping trips with my buddies, take road trips, etc without parents... and that was THAT long ago. Is a parent really expected to watch over their child every waking moment for the rest of their life? 3 months this girl is probably going off to college and will be doing the same things there... her parents supposed to follow her out to school and always watch her to make sure she is not getting into trouble?

Why would they not prosecute though? Lack of evidence? Even if they said she was a willing participant -- she was only 15, wouldn't that have been enough to prosecute? Would the ship's doctor perform a rape kit onboard -- enough to stand up in court?

Where did you hear she was 15? Was it in another article?

Yeah, it doesn't say anywhere that she was 15. In fact, the article states she was on board celebrating her high school graduation with her family. Without evidence, sexual assault is very difficult to prosecute because it becomes one person's word against another person's.

If this is true as written, the FBI would have been all over this and it would have been criminal charges and not civil charges. Something here just doesn't seem to add up to me.

The FBI was all over it. They did not find anything. Anybody can file a lawsuit that don't make it true.

Michele, the article said she was celebrating her high school graduation. She may have been 18.

Interesting point about the rape kit. I really don't know if the ship's doctors have them. That's a bit of missing information that would help with understanding the results.

Wow - and this is why so many incidents like this on sea or on land do not get reported.

I believe, if you read properly, you will see that RCL did take action and fired the entertainer, therefore something obviously happened.

The musician was fired for 1. purchasing alcohol for someone else and 2. fraternizing with a guest. Bother are terminable offenses for RCI employees. That the FBI has not filed charges and that the "victim" is filing civil suit (suggesting there will be no criminal charges) is suspicious. The ship would have performed a rape kit. They would have reviewed video surveillance. The FBI would have done the same. If there was evidence, he would have been charged. And without evidence, he is innocent. This is America, that is how it works. Innocent until proven guilty, to not innocent until accused.

Yes, they have them and yes they would have performed one. Since the ship's doctors are licenses to practice based on US standards, it would have held up in court. Ships take rape allegations VERY seriously. They have to.

Regardless of the age of the teenager traveling with her parents, it just makes me wonder whether parents bring their children on board and let them go free so they can enjoy their vacation. Unfortunately, it was not a pleasant experience for anyone involved.

I personally have been cruising for many many years and back in the early 1970's when Love Boat came on, I remember going up to the lounge on the last night of weekend cruises and finding the staff all dressed up - mingling with all the single ladies and vice versa - this was to generate that the pax was having the time of their life - look how special I am. Needless to say... as years went on and allegations started all of this stopped and many rules went into place. From what I understand from a few RCCL employees they can't even touch the guests except for handshakes.

Archived