This Week's Maasdam's Cruisers.... (Boarded May 14 )

sail7seas

I don't think I ever remember a week with worse weather than we have had in Boston this week. It has not stopped raining and it is raw and cold.

I feel so bad for those who had hoped for beautiful spring days for their cruise.

Hopefully they're enjoying the beautiful Maasdam, her wonderful crew, the great scenery and tours not to mention Lobsters and have a wonderful cruise anyway. It will call for a 'positive attitude'. :)

I totally agree with you, Judy. I'm in Hingham and returning to Nantucket tomorrow. It's as bad here as it is there. This has been the worst stretch of rainy, damp, cold weather I EVER remember in the Spring.

A positive attitude is a must on a cruise...or on any vacation. At the inn last week, I felt so badly for people taking a three or four day vacation...same thing this week. Not pleasant..."making the best of it"

is a priority.

I guess I'm lucky that, at this point in my life, the only weather we can depend upon during the winter months, when we're able to cruise, is in the Caribbean.

We're taking a chance with Bermuda in early October....

There is no end in sight to our horrible weather. As far out as they are forecasting, there's but mere hours on a few days when there might be hint of sun. Then the rain comes back.

There are some yacht clubs in our area and they have pulled their gangways and no launches are going out to the various boats. All the sailors here are getting really anxious. :)

We have the same weather here. It's going to rain all week. This morning there were torrential rains and road flooding. More coming tomorrow. So, wondering, if HAL cancels tours when the weather is this way? If so, you'd think someone would find the computers and post live from the ship.

While I wouldn't wish for a cruise week like this, there's enough for me to do on the ship to keep me busy. I would curl up somewhere with my kindle, go to a movie, listen to my ipod, go to trivia, etc. But 14 days of that would be a bit much.

Years ago, we had booked a walking tour in Quebec City and the rain was so hard and wind blowing so strong the rain was horizontal. They did not cancel the tour. Thought it a fine day for walking around Quebec. :rolleyes: We chose to stay aboard. ;)

If it is any comfort, is cold and rainy out here in California too. They even had to cancel the Amgen Bike Tour because there was snow in the Sierra Nevada mountain passes, this late in May.

If it is any comfort, is cold and rainy out here in California too. They even had to cancel the Amgen Bike Tour because there was snow in the Sierra Nevada mountain passes, this late in May.

We live in Florida and the weather here has been unseasonably cool, but sunny. Interestingly, my daughter and her finace are working for the summer at Sequoia National Park and imagine their surprise when they arrived this past Saturday to snow, with more snow forecast this week!

We are on the Maasdam on May 28 and hoping for pleasant weather, but if not, we will enjoy our time on board the ship. :)

Unfortunately, the weather is no better in Atlantic Canada. There is a chance of some clearing today for a day :confused: Cleared up yesterday for a whole 4 hours:(

I'm starting to worry about 40 days and 40 nights and wondering if we should build an ark. I can't remember a spring as cold and wet as this one.:(

I do hope the cruisers were able to sail into some better weather - but it sounds like it is everywhere:eek:

Years ago, we had booked a walking tour in Quebec City and the rain was so hard and wind blowing so strong the rain was horizontal. They did not cancel the tour. Thought it a fine day for walking around Quebec. :rolleyes: We chose to stay aboard. ;)

Ah, but we're made of hearty stuff up here! ;)

True story: mom and I once toured Oxford in the rain in the top of a double-decker bus - an open-top double-decker bus.

Fortunately for Maasdam passengers, Friday-Sunday here is supposed to be sunny and warm.

I'm so happy Quebec will have nice weather for the weekend. It's so glorious walking your beautiful Quebec City with the sun shining. We LOVE it there and almost envyed last week's Maasdam's guests that got to overnight there.

Woke up to the blahs again this morning...drizzle, fog, cold....

If it's any comfort (as in "misery loves company"), we're in Seattle at the moment and yesterday was the only fourth day of sunshine they've enjoyed since the beginning of the year!:eek:

All this talk about rain and cold prompts the question - does the Maasdam have a retractable roof over their main pool? If so, is it warm enough to swim when the dome is closed? We embark on Maasdam on May 28th northbound to Canada with highs in the 40's currently in the forcast for that week. Should I pack swimsuits for the kids or will that just be teasing them?

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

All this talk about rain and cold prompts the question - does the Maasdam have a retractable roof over their main pool? If so, is it warm enough to swim when the dome is closed? We embark on Maasdam on May 28th northbound to Canada with highs in the 40's currently in the forcast for that week. Should I pack swimsuits for the kids or will that just be teasing them?

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

yes, the maasdam has a covered pool.

They keep the roof fully closed when cold and rainy and can open it as much or little as required to keep it comfortable. The children will be able to swim no matter the weather. :)

I think there maybe a break coming as our cool rain is ending by the weekend and we have been shipping it north for a while :o..

Kirk

The sun came out yesterday afternoon here - and it sounds like it might come out again today - but then, that four letter word - rain again.

So, Montreal should be nice as we often get their weather a day or two later.

Archived