Seconds in the main dining room???

Soon2Barmn

I've heard stories from friends about getting seconds, thirds and even fourths during dinner in the main dining room. Is this a normal request? Is the server gonna be troubled if i request another plate from the kitchen??? Do I have to order all the plates i want at the begining of the meal or can i get them as i need them?:confused:

Order away. They'll feed you until you explode.:eek::eek::eek:(lol) On our last two cruises, the waiters were ready and waiting to bring me more lobster tail because they knew I loved them. They even made sure I had some garlic to put in my drawn butter.

Bon Appetit

Generally, they'll bring one at a time of the same thing...but if you want 2 different entrees, order them at the same time!

It's quite common....once, I couldn't decide on dessert, and told him to surprise me..., and the waiter brought me ALL of them!!! (To my shame, I ate them!!!! Oh, my aching tummy!)

I found the staff to be extremely nice and offer more. If there is something you get that you don't like, they will encourage you to try something else. If there's something you do like, they will be more than happy to bring you more. :D

It really is better to order the 2nd plate when you first order ..otherwise you could hold up your tablemates from dessert.

I know a guy who ordered and ate 7 lobsters.. so you can feel free to order as much as you want. Two desserts, 5 appetizers?? go for it. I like the appetizers more than the main courses, and often skip the main course.

If you are still hungry (and doing early dinner) you can go up to the buffet and graze some more. I usually go up there before the buffet closes to try and find some watermelon.

I've heard stories from friends about getting seconds, thirds and even fourths during dinner in the main dining room. Is this a normal request? Is the server gonna be troubled if i request another plate from the kitchen??? Do I have to order all the plates i want at the begining of the meal or can i get them as i need them?:confused:

Make friends with your servers and ask what they recommend relative to what is being ordered. There is more food in the galley than can be consumed and unless you have an agenda (showtime) plenty of time to eat, unless the serving staff is short handed which can occur. There are no hard and fast rules so just relax, eat, drink, and enjoy.

If we order multiple servings or a couple different appetizers or desserts, we try to order it all at one time. This saves the waiters from taking extra trips. I think they have a pretty long walk, and we try to minimize the trips as much as we can. They're happy to bring you anything you want.

If we order multiple servings or a couple different appetizers or desserts, we try to order it all at one time. This saves the waiters from taking extra trips. I think they have a pretty long walk, and we try to minimize the trips as much as we can. They're happy to bring you anything you want.

Agreed.

It is best to order everything you want at the beginning. This makes it easier for the staff to serve the dinner.

If you decide after eating your main course that you would like another main course, this would be somewhat disruptive and delay for the rest of those at the table.

My SIL is fit and works out daily, even on a cruise. He orders multiples and lets the waiter know at the time he places his first order that he will want 2nds. He's eaten 5 lobster tails. He has an appetite that rivals anyone I've ever seen. He eats every bite they bring him and never gains a pound...GRRR. His son is a string bean, and a big eater too. He's been known to finish off more than one entree too.

I second this. You dont want to hold up the rest of the table. I know some people who wander in a half hour late too, so OP if you have a set time, be there. The people who arrive on time will probably not get their orders taken. Nothing like people who think they should wander in late, take their time, order something else .. and meanwhile you are swearing under your breath because your waiter is ignoring you .. he wants to wait to serve everyone at once.

choose anytime if you are going to hold everyone else up. Be considerate.

My 3 cents worth..

Most folks when they are on their first cruise still have the shore side mentality.. They see a menu and think 1 of each.. App, main and desert..

WRONG!!!

Throw that right out the window..

You want 3 apps, go for it, don't like any of the apps, order a main entrée' as your appetizer..

They are there to serve you and make sure you are happy..

Others have made suggestions as to not upset your table mates by forcing them to wait you out so I would suggest taking that advice.. You want it, order it and have a blast..

One thing not mentioned, sometimes I order one entree, but notice the other choices have something I want, for example asparagus.

Ask the waiter and they will bring them as a side dish.

Orders as much as you can eat. We always order once we see the first plate and know we want more :D Order later as it assured its a bit hotter and fresh IMHO

Most folks when they are on their first cruise still have the shore side mentality.. They see a menu and think 1 of each.. App, main and desert..

So true! This was such a foreign concept for us on our first cruise, but by the end of it, DH was ordering three or more entrees so that he could taste them all. It was fun to watch him try new foods and he enjoyed all of them thoroughly! I even got into the swing of it and tried two different desserts on a few of the nights. It's really a great way to try new foods! Enjoy! :D

You can also order an entree (say a pasta dish) as an appetizer portion to go along with your main entree(s)...

We have had waiters that bring us one of each on the dessert menu to share around the table as well.

Your call, enjoy!

You can also order an entree (say a pasta dish) as an appetizer portion to go along with your main entree(s)...

On our Princess cruise last year I had the fettuccini alfredo several evenings as a side dish. They make it very tasty! Yum!

Archived