Just home from the "No Manners" group cruise....

maxamuus

I'm not personally familiar with Princess ships, so I don't know if this was true in the OP's case -- but I've noticed more rudeness as the ships get bigger and bigger. :rolleyes:

A small ship is like a small town -- you are less likely to be rude to someone you know you will be seeing again. :p

Rudeness is a contagious disease. Its a shame that none of these people realize this. If they had just taken a moment when they were subjected to such rudeness to calm down and let it go, they'd be happier people.

The satisfaction of courtesy is a treat they don't get to experience. Its their loss.

Rudeness on cruise ships has been increasing the last few years. I don't know why this is but it cuts across all classes and nationalities.

Simple answer (other than the general lack of concern for others), is Larger Ships with many more passengers. When you get more people together it increases the possibility that one person will take offense at another person. Period.

Quote from a crew member I dated years ago: "Crusing used to be for the champagne crowd, now it's like taking the city bus"

Well maybe it wasn't a group cruise per say, but man i have never been on a ship with so many people that were so down right rude and didn't have the most basic manners.

I am left wondering how to avoid this "group" of people again. It was a 9 day from Brooklyn. So was it the 9 day'er with the older crowd? Was it Brooklyn with the New York crowd ? Was it Princess ?? Was it East Coast folks?

We have sailed Princess and RCL from the left coast and never ran into these rude nasty people. Heck all of our Carnival cruises added together didnt equal this one... maybe it was it just bad luck ?

I am sure someone is going to ask for examples... Here you go... EVERY SINGLE Lounger and sitting chair on the Lido inside and out was reserved. If you wanted to find a lounger you were just out of luck. If you wanted a piece of pizza you were eating standing up or in your cabin or on deck 7. I thought about moving some peoples stuff but witnessed a pushing match and almost fist fight.

Elevators... First day a women with one of those walkers on wheels enters the Elevator. She doesnt say excuse me or pardon me or anything just rams that walker into people until THEY MOVED out of her way. Once on the elevator rather then asking "Please hit 12" She litterally took her hand and slapped people in her way so she could make her way to the buttons. I cant even count how many times the Elevator doors would open and people would RUSH in before people could even get off the darn elevator. So we had to wait while everyone who JUST rushed on could back off so people could get off.

First formal night i excused myself from the dinner table to visit the mens room at the same time the Champagne water fall thingy was going on. A women in a scooter had her husband LITERALLY walking in front of her scooter shoving people out of the way so she could make her way to the dining room. I had left the bathroom and been handed a glass of champagne and was just just turning around to walk back into the dining room when this "gentleman" just shoved me out of his way into the wall. I was FURIOUS! No "excuse me or pardon me" just a shove face first into the wall. Needless to say i wiped the champagne off myself and the wall and turned around to the "gentleman" who shoved me and warned him he better not EVER lay a hand on me again, and if we weren't on a cruise ship he would have been picking himself up off the ground....

First stop in Grand Turk....Seems 20% of the passengers experienced a line for their first time in their lives. They were just cutting in where ever they saw fit.

San Juan we were waiting for our excursion and the lines were very very long. A elderly women was trying to make her way thru our line and i stopped "traffic" to let her pass thru the line, of course some *(&%^& cut thru and almost knocked me and her over so he could make his way thru the line.

One of the sea days some "Lady" was walking thru Horizons CHOWING down on pizza. I told her its not very sanitary to eat IN THE BUFFET LINE to which she replied "F off".. I replied "Wow you are very lady like. Your more hog like then human like as most humans can wait to get to a table to eat while you and hogs eat right at the troth." - By this point i was no longer being polite myself.

Disembarkation - Another almost fist fight over the elevators. Security was called and i just shook my head in amazement.

Like i said i enjoyed the cruise and not EVERYONE on the ship acted so poorly, but i was just amazed and appalled and if possible would like to avoid that crowd of people again if possible.

And be glad cruiselines don't allow firearms :D

ATLANTA -- A Douglasville man said he was shot after trying to give another man a lesson on manners. Police are still looking for the shooter.

Jay Rodgers and his family were on their way home from a Tim McGraw concert last month when they stopped at an Atlanta Shell station so his niece could use the bathroom. He said he felt insulted after a man he encountered ignored a polite gesture.

“I opened up the door for a gentleman. He walked in, and I quietly said, ‘Why don’t you say thank you for holding the door open?’” Rodgers told Channel 2’s Eric Philips.

When the man didn’t respond, Rodgers said he followed him outside and asked him to say "thank you" again, but the man kept quiet.

“He went to his car, put whatever he purchased inside it, and he pulled out a gun and shot me from about 15 to 16 feet away from me,” Rodgers said. "I passed out in my wife's arms."

Rodgers lifted his shirt to show Philips the large bandage that now covers his stomach. He said the bullet went through his intestine, nearly hitting his spine. He was hospitalized for nine days.

“I'm lucky to even be walking,” Rodgers said.

He said his family has had a hard time while his injury keeps him from working for three months. He said his children are also scarred by the shooting. On Thursday, Rodgers made a plea on the Channel 2 Action News Nightbeat for the shooter to come forward.

“I’m mad, but if you’re watching this, do the right thing and turn yourself in,” he said.

Scary and disheartening. Let's be clear: This shooting was attempted murder, period, over something unbelievably trivial. Here's my however: While the gentleman (and I use the term sarcastically) should have said thank you and smiled, the idea of "I'm doing something nice for you so you had damn well better thank me" is rude. We're supposed to do something nice for someone else for the sake of doing it and because it makes us feel good about life in general, not because we expect gratitude. And it is bad manners for one adult to correct or hound another adult about the issue. I mean really? You follow some guy around going, "You should thank me for the little thing I did for you..." Isn't that kind of stalking? For all Mr. Rodgers knew, the man in question was deaf or traumatized/afraid of something or unable to speak. Likely? Maybe not, but we don't know. Indeed, the man should turn himself in and face the consequences of his actions. Let it be a lesson, if you will, to all of us that if we doing a kindness for stranger it should be for the sake of doing it and not because we expect something in return.

Now, let me mention a good story about manners. At the post office, a young mother and her son (maybe 6 years old) were ahead of me. She opened the door and held it for her son. It's a pretty heavy door, but he saw me walking up behind them and with all his strength, he held that door open and smiled at me. So I smiled back as I walked through the door and said, "Why thank you, young man, how nice of you." He beamed; his mother beamed; we all felt good.

beachchick

Hey! It's no fair bashing us New Yorkers.

Actually, I think it is fair. When I was in the military, I did a tour in NY. It was a culture shock in my own country. The reason I say it's fair is most NYers were actually proud of their in-your-face rude attitudes. It's like a NY trademark or something.

And face it, NY/NJ does get lumped together with similar attitudes and shows like Jersey Shore and House Wives have not helped your image.

Scary and disheartening. Let's be clear: This shooting was attempted murder...

Now, let me mention a good story about manners. At the post office, a young mother and her son (maybe 6 years old) were ahead of me. She opened the door and held it for her son. It's a pretty heavy door, but he saw me walking up behind them and with all his strength, he held that door open and smiled at me. So I smiled back as I walked through the door and said, "Why thank you, young man, how nice of you." He beamed; his mother beamed; we all felt good.

That is a lovely story. Did you (or would you) then step aside to allow the person who held the door to go ahead of you in line at the post office? Unless you had time consuming business at the desk, it would probably be trivial in this setting. But, hypothetically, if someday in the future the well mannered young person holds the door for as multiple people enter the post office, does he cede his line, potentially costing him time and perhaps making him late for other duties? If he cedes his place in line, who can be surprised if he stops holding doors for strangers in busy places?

Well maybe it wasn't a group cruise per say, but man i have never been on a ship with so many people that were so down right rude and didn't have the most basic manners.

I am left wondering how to avoid this "group" of people again. It was a 9 day from Brooklyn. So was it the 9 day'er with the older crowd? Was it Brooklyn with the New York crowd ? Was it Princess ?? Was it East Coast folks?

We have sailed Princess and RCL from the left coast and never ran into these rude nasty people. Heck all of our Carnival cruises added together didnt equal this one... maybe it was it just bad luck ?

I am sure someone is going to ask for examples... Here you go... EVERY SINGLE Lounger and sitting chair on the Lido inside and out was reserved. If you wanted to find a lounger you were just out of luck. If you wanted a piece of pizza you were eating standing up or in your cabin or on deck 7. I thought about moving some peoples stuff but witnessed a pushing match and almost fist fight.

Elevators... First day a women with one of those walkers on wheels enters the Elevator. She doesnt say excuse me or pardon me or anything just rams that walker into people until THEY MOVED out of her way. Once on the elevator rather then asking "Please hit 12" She litterally took her hand and slapped people in her way so she could make her way to the buttons. I cant even count how many times the Elevator doors would open and people would RUSH in before people could even get off the darn elevator. So we had to wait while everyone who JUST rushed on could back off so people could get off.

First formal night i excused myself from the dinner table to visit the mens room at the same time the Champagne water fall thingy was going on. A women in a scooter had her husband LITERALLY walking in front of her scooter shoving people out of the way so she could make her way to the dining room. I had left the bathroom and been handed a glass of champagne and was just just turning around to walk back into the dining room when this "gentleman" just shoved me out of his way into the wall. I was FURIOUS! No "excuse me or pardon me" just a shove face first into the wall. Needless to say i wiped the champagne off myself and the wall and turned around to the "gentleman" who shoved me and warned him he better not EVER lay a hand on me again, and if we weren't on a cruise ship he would have been picking himself up off the ground....

First stop in Grand Turk....Seems 20% of the passengers experienced a line for their first time in their lives. They were just cutting in where ever they saw fit.

San Juan we were waiting for our excursion and the lines were very very long. A elderly women was trying to make her way thru our line and i stopped "traffic" to let her pass thru the line, of course some *(&%^& cut thru and almost knocked me and her over so he could make his way thru the line.

One of the sea days some "Lady" was walking thru Horizons CHOWING down on pizza. I told her its not very sanitary to eat IN THE BUFFET LINE to which she replied "F off".. I replied "Wow you are very lady like. Your more hog like then human like as most humans can wait to get to a table to eat while you and hogs eat right at the troth." - By this point i was no longer being polite myself.

Disembarkation - Another almost fist fight over the elevators. Security was called and i just shook my head in amazement.

Like i said i enjoyed the cruise and not EVERYONE on the ship acted so poorly, but i was just amazed and appalled and if possible would like to avoid that crowd of people again if possible.

Hi Max,I was on this cruise with you also and I also seen the same thing you did. It was our first time leaving out of Brooklyn but never again. We left out of many other ports and it was not like this at all. Sometimes you come across a few people like that on some of the cruises but, not like this. To many to ignor. This was our 12th cruise and our worst. We did try to ignor but it was hard. Even at the bus station in N.Y. Muriel

try leaving from Manhattan instead, i expected things to be worse (such as attitude) when i left from NY but there were no problems, if someone tried to cut in a line i politely pointed and told them there's the back of the line. i am used to the NY/NJ attitude or maybe i just understand... everyone has their guard up. you'll be surprised if you smile at them they probably will smile back. and yes some people are downright nasty, but just ignore them, God only knows what their problem is. don't let a handful of ill-mannered people ruin your vacation,,, they're everywhere!

The New York attitude was explained to me by a former employee who grew up there and worked there until his 40's. In New York, you need to be ready to order your food, enter the building, take the cab, etc. If you are not ready, the person taking your order, holding the door, driving the cab, know that there is someone else right behind you that has made up their mind.

Same thing translates to New Yorkers on Cruises, if you are hesitating, they are ready and will pounce ahead of you. This goes for ANY line on board or in the buffet, or at the pool. So to deal with them, don't hesitate. Demand they wait, and in most cases they will.

Remember Ratso Rizzo in Midnight Cowboy, "Hey!. I'm walkin' here" Works on the cruise ship too.

The New York attitude was explained to me by a former employee who grew up there and worked there until his 40's. In New York, you need to be ready to order your food, enter the building, take the cab, etc. If you are not ready, the person taking your order, holding the door, driving the cab, know that there is someone else right behind you that has made up their mind.

Same thing translates to New Yorkers on Cruises, if you are hesitating, they are ready and will pounce ahead of you. This goes for ANY line on board or in the buffet, or at the pool. So to deal with them, don't hesitate. Demand they wait, and in most cases they will.

Remember Ratso Rizzo in Midnight Cowboy, "Hey!. I'm walkin' here" Works on the cruise ship too.

:) That explains a lot of the problem. Sadly, it doesn't excuse ANY of the problem.

Anyway, this Australian man was at evening meal the night before Hurghada and he stated in a loud enough voice that several tables could hear 'that had Costa not murdered their own employees we would have been going to Sharm tomorrow & not Hurghada'.

The three crew killed were all galley workers, and most of the waitstaff on Allegra knew them well...several of them ran into the galley in tears and very distressed at this man's comments. I have to admit to almost forgetting I am a lady when I saw him later that evening and took him to one side and gave him a piece of my mind. The next evening he stood at his table and apologised for the distress he had caused....whilst I was sat on the next table glaring at him.

Good for you for standing up and objecting to such horrible behaviour! The man's actions were completely uncalled for, and I'm sure the crew appreciated having someone react.

say no more.....yes, out of NEW YORK....RUDE, RUDE, and RUDE.... You rude people know exactly who you are.....I go and just don't let them bother me.....

It does not change....Have been on several cruises out of Brooklyn and they are the rudest people I have ever seen......chair hogs, "me first" in the elevators, rude to work crew, etc....I do not hesitate to say something to them if their behavior is rude towards the crew.....so sad that this has to be.....but it is reality...

say no more.....yes, out of NEW YORK....RUDE, RUDE, and RUDE.... You rude people know exactly who you are.....I go and just don't let them bother me.....

It does not change....Have been on several cruises out of Brooklyn and they are the rudest people I have ever seen......chair hogs, "me first" in the elevators, rude to work crew, etc....I do not hesitate to say something to them if their behavior is rude towards the crew.....so sad that this has to be.....but it is reality...

I'm not defending New Yorkers, but this thread is starting to give the impression that they are the only rude cruisers.

So, to add to the mix . . . Last year we cruised the Norwegian Fjords to the Arctic Circle. On board were about 500 people from Denmark and about 500 from Spain. The Danish people were quiet, polite and generally a pleasure to be around.

On the other hand, the Spanish people were loud, inconsiderate, demanding, argumentative and bullying. I even saw one woman shove her child's pushchair into the legs of someone walking with a zimmer frame, in an attempt to make this person walk faster.

I don't like racial/ nationality stereotyping and I went on this cruise with no pre-conceived prejudices. But I sure came off that ship with some!

i'm a yankee and i'm proud of it.. you gotta problem with that? i'll give you a dime so you can call someone who gives a @#**. stop whining

My New Joisy uncle (only in the USA 3 years when he was drafted) was pretty shocked at what he saw in Mississippi when he was sent there for basic training in 1951.

He found it a lot worse than pushing and shoving on lines.

LOL - My aunt, a nun, was assigned to a parish in Bound Brook as a teacher and hated it. Apparently most of the nuns in the order regarded it in the same spirit as being exiled to Siberia.:eek:

Ha ha!! The first thing I learned was that "Whatsa mattah wit youse?" meant one of the following:

1. Please re-type this letter.

2. Please deposit these checks into our account at the bank next door.

3. Please put a new roll of toilet paper in the Ladies' restroom.

4. Leave da gun. Take da cannollis.

Yeah - rented a room in a big old house on West End Ave. in Bound Brook for a year until we got married. Unbelieveable! The only Italian word I knew was "pasghetti"!! Not bad for a non-Italian/non-Catholic!

Scary and disheartening. Let's be clear: This shooting was attempted murder, period, over something unbelievably trivial. Here's my however: While the gentleman (and I use the term sarcastically) should have said thank you and smiled, the idea of "I'm doing something nice for you so you had damn well better thank me" is rude. We're supposed to do something nice for someone else for the sake of doing it and because it makes us feel good about life in general, not because we expect gratitude. And it is bad manners for one adult to correct or hound another adult about the issue. I mean really? You follow some guy around going, "You should thank me for the little thing I did for you..." Isn't that kind of stalking? For all Mr. Rodgers knew, the man in question was deaf or traumatized/afraid of something or unable to speak. Likely? Maybe not, but we don't know. Indeed, the man should turn himself in and face the consequences of his actions. Let it be a lesson, if you will, to all of us that if we doing a kindness for stranger it should be for the sake of doing it and not because we expect something in return.

beachchick

Great post, and I agree with you!! Most of the time, if you display good manners, you will receive them in return. Saying "Please" and "Thank You" doesn't cost anything!

My New Joisy uncle (only in the USA 3 years when he was drafted) was pretty shocked at what he saw in Mississippi when he was sent there for basic training in 1951.

He found it a lot worse than pushing and shoving on lines.

I can understand that, but please give us more information. Where in Mississippi was he sent for Basic Training? TIA.

I can understand that, but please give us more information. Where in Mississippi was he sent for Basic Training? TIA.

He lives in Brazil, has since being release from the army way back then, and isn't on the net a lot, so I'm not in touch with him too much.

He never liked to talk about the whole army experience -- basic, Korea, Japan with the occupation, and I have a feeling that at age 83 some of his memories are faded.

Unlike most cruisers I don't try to avoid a cruise that will have a large percentage of the under 25 crowd but rather the over 65 crowd. Nice to see the truth finally coming out on here. For the record, I enjoy people having fun even if they get a little loud and silly compared to the pushy, rude, know-it-all crowd.

Archived