Just home from the "No Manners" group cruise....

maxamuus

I grew up elsewhere but now live in the Tri-State area -- worked in Manhattan off and on for 20 years and, while it does not come naturally, can put on my New York attitude when I need to (usually in a business or other competitive situation). I've sailed out of NY several times and, yes, in my experience there seem to be more notable instances of rude people on those cruises.

It can be funny if you don't take it personally. One New Yorker loudly berated his (admittedly not-too-bright) waiter for bringing coffee that was not hot enough for him. On the third try, he was literally speechless after sipping the coffee that apparently was now well above the normal serving temperature, much to the amusement of nearby diners who had suffered silently with the waiter. How can a man reach retirement age and not learn that you don't insult waiters before they bring your order?

And if you want to avoid New Yorkers, you don't do it by taking a cruise from Florida, especially in the winter "snowbird" season ;)!

I grew up elsewhere but now live in the Tri-State area -- worked in Manhattan off and on for 20 years and, while it does not come naturally, can put on my New York attitude when I need to (usually in a business or other competitive situation). I've sailed out of NY several times and, yes, in my experience there seem to be more notable instances of rude people on those cruises.

It can be funny if you don't take it personally. One New Yorker loudly berated his (admittedly not-too-bright) waiter for bringing coffee that was not hot enough for him. On the third try, he was literally speechless after sipping the coffee that apparently was now well above the normal serving temperature, much to the amusement of nearby diners who had suffered silently with the waiter. How can a man reach retirement age and not learn that you don't insult waiters before they bring your order?

And if you want to avoid New Yorkers, you don't do it by taking a cruise from Florida, especially in the winter "snowbird" season ;)!

I only wonder what else he might have put in the hot coffee? :D

One New Yorker loudly berated his (admittedly not-too-bright) waiter for bringing coffee that was not hot enough for him. ;)!

Having worked in restaraunts, under no circumstance do you mistreat anyone that is serving your food.

When I am dining, and someone does that, I ask them if they can imagine how much snot and spit they have consumed because of their behaviour.

It is fun watching them think about it.

So sorry you experienced such inconsiderate fellow passengers on your cruise. Somewhere along the way "manners" have disappeared from the lessons of life. The feelings of entitlement are amazing to watch and I shake my head when I witness it. Hope your future cruises are happier experiences.

Totally agree!

Sadly it seems that people who live in crowded environments (like New York) lose - or perhaps never learn - the rules of decent behavior.

I was raised in New York City and have lived within 50 miles of the city all my life (outside of the Navy)-- but I have travelled enough to have an idea of how people can (and should) behave.

I must apologize for the "standard" which seems to exist among New Yorkers (including Northern New Jersey and southwest Connecticut residents) there is something generally lacking --not in everyone, of course, but in a significantly higher percentage than is found in other populations. It is a universal problem: laboratory rats raised in crowded environments also display greater hostility than others --yes, New Yorkers, as a rule, do not behave as well as most others.

I used to work - and travel - with a woman from New York. She was wonderful - if you were a friend. If you were a stranger, it was another story. I once saw her berate a man on a plane for putting his briefcase on top of her garment bag in the overhead compartment. A moment later, when she saw that I was having trouble finding space for my bag, she took it from me and set it on her garment bag.

Another time, she called our airline to change our flight. She was speaking fast and bruskly. By coincidence, the customer service rep was a friend of mine. When my coworker mentioned my name, my friend mentioned that she knew me. Suddenly, my coworker's tone changed - she was super sweet. My friend and I laughed about it for years. :D

My New York coworker really did have a heart of gold - you just had to get to know her to see it.

I used to work - and travel - with a woman from New York. She was wonderful - if you were a friend. If you were a stranger, it was another story. I once saw her berate a man on a plane for putting his briefcase on top of her garment bag in the overhead compartment. A moment later, when she saw that I was having trouble finding space for my bag, she took it from me and set it on her garment bag.

Who wouldnt complain about something being put on their garment bag in the overhead? The briefcase man should have suggested switch - garment bag over briefcase. People use garment bags to avoid wrinkles!

• 3 months later...
I work in customer service in a call center, and people's attitude amazes me. They want what they want "right now". I'm a former Long Islander, and I don't behave like this!

I hope I never do . Try always to treat people the way I want to be treated . Not as they do me'

I recently attended a business meeting in a hotel that was also used by cruise passengers. It was very easy to tell who was who. Attire for one thing, but also attitude. Most of the cruise passengers were far from civil.

I don't get it.

Among other things some of the cruise passengers made fun of the way we had to dress, that is business attire. One woman yelled 'It is dress up day!' every time she saw one of us.

We were all glad when they departed for their ships!

Part of the problem is that the cruise line is afraid to enforce its own policies. I'd love to see a pool attendant remove the items of the people reserving chairs right after they've done it.

I avoid elevators as much as possible, so I don't have to worry about the rudeness on them.

Archived