Casual night dress code--are jeans really appropriate?

The cruise line suggests no jeans. Employees of the cruise line, like speakers, cannot wear jeans.

Please reference exactly where this "suggestion" is written. Also, speakers are not employees of the cruise line. In any evet, why are you dredging up a six year old thread to post this?

Look around at the people going in and out of the MDR on any night and jeans will probably be the smallest issue you could find with what people wear if you want to be critical.

For example, I firmly believe the adage that if you were the correct age to wear something the first time it was in style you are too old to wear it the next time it comes into style.

Some men's apparel should not be sold in sizes above a large or 32 waist and some women's apparel should not be sold in sizes above a 2.

At least in my opinion.

A cruise on a mega-ship is not a particularly upscale vacation. Some like to pretend it is, but there are other cruise lines that are up to that standard. Royal isn't.

I always love the people who have convinced themselves that some aspect their dining experience is predicated on what someone else a few tables away wears to dinner.

I think this will always be an issue unless the cruise line enforces a rule not suggestion plain and simple but they never will. Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. LOL I am looking at our cruise compass. Day 1/ CASUAL states bare feet, short pants, caps, and tank tops are not "recommended" at dinner in the dining room. I definitely saw some shorts. Recommended is not a rule; however, if the cruise types recommendation then that is their preference. Not sure why people find it so hard to follow that. It's the I can do what I want when I want mentality these days. Entitlement attitude. I do stand corrected and thought it stated no jeans are permitted but it does not so technically you can; however, we are in a white table cloth restaurant. I don't understand how hard it is to look a little nicer even though it is your vacation. It's all about the ambiance. We are in our 30s and have cruised numerous times.

Edited by RCLcruiser2012

Why do people open up at 6 year old thread when same topic is covered at least once a month???

I know...right??! Since 2011 there has bee approximately 5,286.5 threads on this very subject! :D

I do stand corrected and thought it stated no jeans are permitted but it does not so technically you can; however, we are in a white table cloth restaurant. I don't understand how hard it is to look a little nicer even though it is your vacation. It's all about the ambiance. We are in our 30s and have cruised numerous times.

What do you mean by "technically" you can? Does it say you can't? No, so there is nothing "technically" about it. You CAN. Also, why do we all have to agree that someone wearing nice jeans and nice shirt doesn't look good? You're mistaking your personal opinion with that of others.

Been on two 13 niters with RCI (both in Europe) and I agree no jeans in the MDR.....except the final night. With debarkation looming' date=' comfort not beauty wins out IMHO.[/quote']

If you are heading to a warm climate it will be much too hot to wear jeans off the ship except for any flights to/from ship. Jeans weigh more than khakis/regular slacks and take forever to dry out if they get wet.

A nice pair of black pants/trousers or even knit pants will more than allow complete flexibility while dining on board and are much easier to pack.

MARAPRINCE

i see no problem with wearing jeans. I wear jeans to smith & wolensky. I also wear them to the hoity toity french restaurant in town. As long as you look nice is all that should matter. I'm not sure what all of the uproar is about when it comes to jeans.

Agree!