WANTED! Recipe for the BEST appetizer EVER

remydiva

Just back from a TA/Northern Europe 16 days on the Emerald and had the pleasure of enjoying, again, what I consider to be THE best appetizer EVER....:p

,...the Double Baked Goat Cheese Souffle....DEEEEE LISH OUS! I asked the server if he could get me the recipe and he smiled and said 'I'll do one better'....I thought he meant he'd get me another one OR better yet, bring me a copy of the recipe.

Sadly, neither happened. :(

The mini souffle was served in some melted cheese sauce that was out of this world. Does anyone know how to get a Princess recipe?:confused:

They used to come around to the tables and sell the Princess cook book...or at least try.

It might be in there. If not, this is a link I found through a search:

http://www.princess.com/customer_car...%20Information

It is a bit old but may work.

thanks for trying but when i clicked it said that page was no longer available.....

Google is your friend ;)

Twice-Baked Goat Cheese Souffles

yield: Serves 6 as a light main course

Ingredients

* 1/2 pound aged (firm) goat cheese

* 4 large eggs

* 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter

* 1/3 cup all-purpose flour

* 1 1/3 cups whole milk

* 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

* 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves

* 3/4 cup heavy cream

* Accompaniment: salad greens tossed with vinaigrette

print a shopping list for this recipe

Preparation

Preheat oven to 375°F and butter six 3/4-cup ramekins (3 3/4 by 2 inches). Crumble goat cheese and separate eggs. In a saucepan melt butter over moderately low heat and whisk in flour. Cook roux, whisking, 3 minutes and whisk in milk. Bring mixture to a boil, whisking constantly, and simmer, whisking occasionally, 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat and add yolks, mustard, 1 teaspoon thyme, two thirds cheese, and salt and pepper to taste, whisking until cheese is melted. Transfer yolk mixture to a large bowl.

In another large bowl with an electric mixer beat whites with a pinch salt until they just hold stiff peaks. Stir one fourth whites into yolk mixture to lighten and fold in remaining whites and remaining cheese gently but thoroughly.

Divide soufflé mixture among ramekins and arrange in a large baking pan just large enough to hold them. Add enough hot water to baking pan to reach halfway up sides of ramekins. Bake soufflés in middle of oven until slightly puffed and golden brown, about 20 minutes, and transfer to a rack. Let soufflés stand, uncovered, 30 minutes (soufflés will fall slightly).

Lightly butter a baking sheet. Run a thin knife around edges of soufflés. Invert each soufflé onto palm of your hand and carefully put, right side up, onto baking sheet. Soufflés may be made up to this point 2 days ahead and chilled, covered.

Increase temperature to 425°F.

In a small saucepan bring cream with remaining teaspoon thyme and salt and pepper to taste to a boil. Remove pan from heat and keep cream warm, covered. Bake soufflés in middle of oven until slightly puffed and heated through, about 5 minutes.

Transfer soufflés to plates. Spoon 2 tablespoons cream over each soufflé and arrange salad decoratively alongside.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Twice-Baked-Goat-Cheese-Souffles-with-Salad-15812#ixzz1Mngl3ojd

That's funny! When I saw the title of the thread I knew what it was!

I called Princess and emailed them on their 'request a recipie' address they gave me. Princess replied that it was one of the recipies they do not give out.

I am so glad it is still on the menu. I was told by a staff member on our last Princess cruise that I could pre order it for any and all nights we would like it.

Thanks for posting the recipie. OP- try it and let us know how close it comes, okay?:)

I also knew what this thread was about without looking. It was just in January that I learned the pleasure of TBGCS. Looking at Karen's recipe (thank you Karen!) I'm glad I stopped at two bites. When time and mustard are the only two healthy ingredients on the list, you just know Dr. Oz wouldn't approve!

Google is your friend ;)

Twice-Baked Goat Cheese Souffles

yield: Serves 6 as a light main course

Ingredients

* 1/2 pound aged (firm) goat cheese

* 4 large eggs

* 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter

* 1/3 cup all-purpose flour

* 1 1/3 cups whole milk

* 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

* 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves

* 3/4 cup heavy cream

* Accompaniment: salad greens tossed with vinaigrette

print a shopping list for this recipe

Preparation

Preheat oven to 375°F and butter six 3/4-cup ramekins (3 3/4 by 2 inches). Crumble goat cheese and separate eggs. In a saucepan melt butter over moderately low heat and whisk in flour. Cook roux, whisking, 3 minutes and whisk in milk. Bring mixture to a boil, whisking constantly, and simmer, whisking occasionally, 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat and add yolks, mustard, 1 teaspoon thyme, two thirds cheese, and salt and pepper to taste, whisking until cheese is melted. Transfer yolk mixture to a large bowl.

In another large bowl with an electric mixer beat whites with a pinch salt until they just hold stiff peaks. Stir one fourth whites into yolk mixture to lighten and fold in remaining whites and remaining cheese gently but thoroughly.

Divide soufflé mixture among ramekins and arrange in a large baking pan just large enough to hold them. Add enough hot water to baking pan to reach halfway up sides of ramekins. Bake soufflés in middle of oven until slightly puffed and golden brown, about 20 minutes, and transfer to a rack. Let soufflés stand, uncovered, 30 minutes (soufflés will fall slightly).

Lightly butter a baking sheet. Run a thin knife around edges of soufflés. Invert each soufflé onto palm of your hand and carefully put, right side up, onto baking sheet. Soufflés may be made up to this point 2 days ahead and chilled, covered.

Increase temperature to 425°F.

In a small saucepan bring cream with remaining teaspoon thyme and salt and pepper to taste to a boil. Remove pan from heat and keep cream warm, covered. Bake soufflés in middle of oven until slightly puffed and heated through, about 5 minutes.

Transfer soufflés to plates. Spoon 2 tablespoons cream over each soufflé and arrange salad decoratively alongside.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Twice-Baked-Goat-Cheese-Souffles-with-Salad-15812#ixzz1Mngl3ojd

Thanks Karen! Good ol' epicurious.com....shouldve known they'd have it. My mouth is watering just reading the recipe.

I have the authentic recipe directly from Giorgio Pisano.

1 pint milk

1 oz baked garlic puree

1/2 lb goat cheese

8 egg yolks

1/2 pound butter

1/2 lb flour

salt and pepper to taste

1 cup Gruyere cheese for sauce

Butter for molds

1/4 cup parmesan cheese to coat molds

2 cups double cream (can use heavy cream)

1. Place the milk into a heavy-bottom sauce pan, bring to a boil, and whisk in the baked garlic. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.

2. Allow the butter to become warm at room temperature, add in the flour, and beat until a cold roux has formed, now called beurre manier.

3. Whisk the beurre manier into the milk/garlic and beat well over the heat, allow to cook out to a thick consistency.

4. Add in the egg yolks and beat well, allow to cook out.

5. Bring the pan to the side of the stove, add in the crumbled goat cheese, beat until dissolved and season lightly.

6. Whip up the egg whites to a stiffe peak and fold throughout the mixture retaining as much as possible.

7. Place the souffle mix into a piping bag and pipe into pre-buttered parmesan coated silpat or ramekin molds.

8. Place into trays filled with cold water and bake in the oven at 120 centigrade (250 F) for 25 minutes. The souffle should not rise on the first baking.

9. Once set, remove from the oven and allow to stand for a few moments.

10. Turn out the molds and place into ths oven-proof serving dishes, pour over the double cream, and add the grated gruyere cheese.

11. Bake in a moderately high oven for 12-15 minutes. The souffles will rise and be golden brown. Serve immediately. Yields six portions.

Bon appetite!

1 pint milk

1 oz baked garlic puree

1/2 lb goat cheese

8 egg yolks

1/2 pound butter

1/2 lb flour

salt and pepper to taste

Butter for molds

1. Place the milk into a heavy-bottom sauce pan, bring to a boil, and whisk in the baked garlic. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.

2. Allow the butter to become warm at room temperature, add in the flour, and beat until a cold roux has formed, now called beurre manier.

3. Whisk the beurre manier into the milk/garlic and beat well over the heat, allow to cook out to a thick consistency.

5. Bring the pan to the side of the stove, add in the crumbled goat cheese, beat until dissolved and season lightly.

6. Whip up the egg whites to a stiffe peak and fold throughout the mixture retaining as much as possible.

7. Place the souffle mix into a piping bag and pipe into pre-buttered parmesan coated silpat or ramekin molds.

8. Place into trays filled with cold water and bake in the oven at 120 centigrade (250 F) for 25 minutes. The souffle should not rise on the first baking.

10. Turn out the molds and place into ths oven-proof serving dishes, pour over the double cream, and add the grated gruyere cheese.

11. Bake in a moderately high oven for 12-15 minutes. The souffles will rise and be golden brown. Serve immediately. Yields six portions.

Bon appetite!

This recipe has 1 cup Gruyere cheese for sauce in addition to the goat cheese vs the epicurious recipe with only goat cheese. My guess is that there was cheese in that sauce so the 'real' recipe is as Carolyn has stated. Guess we won't know until 'we' make it both ways and compare!

1 pint milk

1 oz baked garlic puree

1/2 lb goat cheese

8 egg yolks

1/2 pound butter

1/2 lb flour

salt and pepper to taste

Butter for molds

Bon appetite!

OMG--if this recipe is correct this "appetizer" has 64 grams of fat per serving! No wonder it tastes so good (LOL!). Think we can order it with a side of Lipitor?

I've not heard of this being offered, or perhaps I just wasn't paying attention. :o Something I will have to order on my Sept. cruise as I do like goat cheese.

Archived